1. 1. Which party gets your X

• Labour
    • Conservative (and UUP alliance)
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Green
    • SNP
    • Plaid Cymru
    • UKIP
    • Jury Team (Coallition of Independents)
    • BNP
    • Spoil Ballot
    • Not Voting
    • The Party for the reintroduction of the European Beaver

PR is the way forward

If you can stomach having BNP MP's in Parliament then yes PR would be more representative. It would certainly represent a more balanced cross section of political opinion and might even stimulate the growth of new parties.

That would represent the rights of the European Beaver?

You have found your new calling... Vote Beaver!

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Greeks don't look very good at this rioting malarkey.
I'm sure a few of the army generals will be willing to step in and give them a hand when things really heat up; military coup, expulsion from the euro, default on their debts. It will be like having our very own argentina in our (eu) backyard.

I'm sure a few of the army generals will be willing to step in and give them a hand when things really heat up; military coup, expulsion from the euro, default on their debts. It will be like having our very own argentina in our (eu) backyard.

Kewl.

Do you think it will improve their wine? :P

Ok let me reverse it.

The south of England doesn’t want Labour. Can they be separated from the North? The majority of people south of the Watford Gap don’t want Labour or the Liberals.

Such sweeping statements might be pleasing to hear for some. I mentioned independence, because if you are divorced politically, you will be effectively divorced in all ways. Taxes raised in the south will be spent in the south, taxes raised in the north will be spent in the north. As I said the rich would get richer, the poor get poorer.

That Britain is SE centric, I am afraid is the way it is. Its the same in every country; the capital is the most ‘important’ place in the country. Yes we can find examples where this isn’t true, but often the largest city is the dominant area (NYC). I am not sure how we can change that?

NYC has historically been less powerful than its population would indicate. There hasn't been a president from NY since FDR (there hasn't been one from the northeastern megalopolis since JFK).

The real issue is that the North and South (more specifically the South East) have real differences, especially economically, and there aren't many one-size-fits-both policies. Making North England and South England (and possibly the Midlands as well) devolved regional governments, with the power to tax, allows them to go separate ways on issues where it makes sense to do so. It also allows for reasonable solution to the West Lothian Question, which is difficult when Westminster is effectively both an English Parliament (since 80-some-odd-percent of the MPs are English, roughly mirroring the UK's population as a whole) and the UK's Parliament.

PR is the way forward

If you can stomach having BNP MP's in Parliament then yes PR would be more representative. It would certainly represent a more balanced cross section of political opinion and might even stimulate the growth of new parties.

I'll repeat my proposal:

* Cut the number of constituencies in half

* Keep the Commons the same size by replacing the seats from the displaced constituencies with PR seats on the usual party list system

* Candidates in the constituencies would have to document that they voted in that constituency in the previous GE (i.e. they'd actually have to live in the constituency they represented) and could not be on any party's list for PR seats; perhaps a primary system could be implemented to further take the question of who stands in each constituency largely out of the hands of the party leadership

* At the poll, you would vote twice: once for the party you would prefer to lead government and once for the person you would prefer to represent you at Westminster

Ok let me reverse it.

The south of England doesn’t want Labour. Can they be separated from the North? The majority of people south of the Watford Gap don’t want Labour or the Liberals.

Such sweeping statements might be pleasing to hear for some. I mentioned independence, because if you are divorced politically, you will be effectively divorced in all ways. Taxes raised in the south will be spent in the south, taxes raised in the north will be spent in the north. As I said the rich would get richer, the poor get poorer.

That Britain is SE centric, I am afraid is the way it is. Its the same in every country; the capital is the most ‘important’ place in the country. Yes we can find examples where this isn’t true, but often the largest city is the dominant area (NYC). I am not sure how we can change that?

NYC has historically been less powerful than its population would indicate. There hasn't been a president from NY since FDR (there hasn't been one from the northeastern megalopolis since JFK).

The real issue is that the North and South (more specifically the South East) have real differences, especially economically, and there aren't many one-size-fits-both policies. Making North England and South England (and possibly the Midlands as well) devolved regional governments, with the power to tax, allows them to go separate ways on issues where it makes sense to do so. It also allows for reasonable solution to the West Lothian Question, which is difficult when Westminster is effectively both an English Parliament (since 80-some-odd-percent of the MPs are English, roughly mirroring the UK's population as a whole) and the UK's Parliament.

I thought FDR was from the state not the city?

So basically a return to Greece in the 60s and 70s? :D

OK, so what's just happened?

17:00

hung parliament 8/11 (59% likelihood)

tory majority 6/4 (41%)

18:00

hung parliament 6/5 (46% likelihood)

tory majority 10/11 (54%)

Going to be some serious stuff in tomorrow's newspapers I guess.

Has Gordo just lumped whatever remains in the party coffers on a Tory majority?

I think its time to lump my mrs family tax credit on the tory majority happening !

17:00

hung parliament 8/11 (59% likelihood)

tory majority 6/4 (41%)

18:00

hung parliament 6/5 (46% likelihood)

tory majority 10/11 (54%)

Going to be some serious stuff in tomorrow's newspapers I guess.

18:30

hung parliament 7/5 (42% likelihood)

tory majority 8/11 (58%)

I still can't quite over how the Tories have managed to make people believe they want change.

Yes, they wan't change, but not progressive change. Does anyone know what conservative means anymore?

I agree, it's mind blowing to think people actually believe they have changed, they haven't. You just need to get past their sweet beguiling buzz words and speeches to find the Thatcher blue print lurking underneath with all its misery for the majority of this Country, except for the small few of course.

I am voting Labour because they have a genuine plan for the future. Conservatives are a empty hub of promise and change, their true agenda is filtered through enticing speeches and tough talking promises which won't materialise.

I still can't quite over how the Tories have managed to make people believe they want change.

Yes, they wan't change, but not progressive change. Does anyone know what conservative means anymore?

I agree, it's mind blowing to think people actually believe they have changed, they haven't. You just need to get past their sweet beguiling buzz words and speeches to find the Thatcher blue print lurking underneath with all its misery for the majority of this Country, except for the small few of course.

I am voting Labour because they have a genuine plan for the future. Conservatives are a empty hub of promise and change, their true agenda is filtered through enticing speeches and tough talking promises which won't materialise.

But voting for "Dave" is voting for change.

After 31 years on uninterrupted rule by rupert, a tory victory will usher in an era of control for James

The new leader and his lovely assistant "Dave"

James-Murdoch-David-Camer-001.jpg