Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

the batting has been pretty poor all year really. Lots of the t20 games we have won have been won by some excellent bowling defending some pretty poor to average scores.

I dont know why they persist with Chopra and Bell opening. All that ever seems to happen is they get us bogged down in a slow start - they nudge their way to a few runs at a strike rate well below 100 and then get out.

managed to get to a score that is not completely embarrassing, but going to be very hard to defend. Evans should have been in earlier, having him (and woakes who can also hit the big boundaries) on the bench while everybody else is nudging it around for singles was not good.

Yeah, disappointed Clarke and Javid didn't go for it. Getting the big hitters in would have give us a better chance of a competitive score. 

Edited by dAVe80

Overs 13 to 18 lost it for us. Two set batsman who had no intention of trying to hit us out of trouble. We were four down, yes, but we still had Evans, Woakes and Jeets to come. Laurie only being in the game for the last 11 balls is unforgivable to be honest.

• Like 1

yep, but watching the bears in the t20 this season, that has looked to be the mindset a lot of the time. Not enough big hits compared to the other sides, batters far too happy to just nudge it around and try to play themselves in, particularly from chopra and bell when he has played. Does that negative mindset come from the coach?

Levi has shown how an opener should play - take advantage of the power play to get off to a quick start, then just work 1 and 2s the rest of the way, putting away the bad balls when the come.

We have relied too much this season on excellent bowling and fielding displays to defend low scores and win tight games. Cant keep doing that.

Edited by andym

Such is my sporting nature that if the team I support (Warks or Villa) look like losing, I don't watch it anymore; puerile I guess. However, my wife continued to watch those wazzacks at Warks and thought she heard one of the commentators say something about Ashley Giles replacing Povey. Don't want to start dubious rumours but has anyone else heard this ?   

Yes when Maxwell and Smith were going it looked a formality but the wicket of Maxwell changed things. Great partnership between Moeen and Morgan too.I like to see Moeen at the top of the order. They say he might struggle against pace but he seemed to play the 92/93 mph balls from Cummings with plenty of time.

Yes different mindset and getting rid of the old-guard who failed repeatedly and that includes Bell has helped us move forward. Willey batting at 9 when he has t20 hundreds, shows the incredible strength of the batting.

Yes different mindset and getting rid of the old-guard who failed repeatedly and that includes Bell has helped us move forward. Willey batting at 9 when he has t20 hundreds, shows the incredible strength of the batting.

Yeah, it was weird seeing a guy who opened against the Bears, being number 9 for England, two days later.

What are your thoughts on Willey Paul? Do you think he'll become a test player? I watched a thing with Nick Knight, talking to him and his Dad on Saturday, and his old man, didn't think he was quick enough to play at test level. It'll be interesting to see how he develops at Yorkshire.

Â