Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

We're one of the frontrunners to sign David Willey apparently

source?

Pretty widely mooted that Northants will let him leave this winter to a div one side who will enable him to enhance international prospects. I think the article that mentioned us a keen suitor was on cricinfo.

Yes but we can't make a move for him until the end of the season and theres been no suggestion at the club that we will. We are still massively in debt and hear Povey is leaving.

We're one of the frontrunners to sign David Willey apparently

source?
Pretty widely mooted that Northants will let him leave this winter to a div one side who will enable him to enhance international prospects. I think the article that mentioned us a keen suitor was on cricinfo.

Yes but we can't make a move for him until the end of the season and theres been no suggestion at the club that we will. We are still massively in debt and hear Povey is leaving.

We'll see. I think he'd be a good fit for us, desperately in need of a limited overs opening bat.

I know our financial situation isn't great at the moment, but I thought it was getting better especially considering we made quite a healthy profit last year with hardly any international cricket.

And I believe it has been confirmed that Povey is leaving.

I reckon David Willey would be a tremendous acquisition, as would have been James Taylor, who Warks were also linked with !!! 

On a different note, it seems that members don't get in to the T20 quarter finals on their membership; is this new 'cos we were away last year and I can't remember the year before that.

Feck sake, another expense after paying for my Ashes tickets and my tickets for the Man Utd game at VP.

I know our financial situation isn't great at the moment, but I thought it was getting better especially considering we made quite a healthy profit last year with hardly any international cricket.

And I believe it has been confirmed that Povey is leaving.

I don't know the current situation but do know we owed Birmingham city council 20 mil and we negotiated a freeze in repayments in 2013. 

This is two years ago

Warwickshire County Cricket Club is expected to be granted a further six repayment holidays on the £20 million loan it received from Birmingham City Council three years ago.

The club borrowed the cash for the redevelopment of the Pavilion End and installation of floodlights - needed to cement the Edgbaston ground’s status as a test and international cricket venue.

But the failure to secure a money-spinning Ashes Test this summer have already seen the club take the two payment breaks in March and June this year. The club owes the city council £1.35 million a year over 30 years on the loan.

Today (July 15) Birmingham City Council meets to approve a further six repayment holidays, which will push back the loan 18 months.

The Labour run Cabinet will also give its finance director the power to negotiate the repayment schedule with the club from now on.

So we'll be in debt for many years to come. 

Well done to Warwickshire for absolutely destroying Glamorgan yesterday.  I know they're not a great team, but Chopra got a nice 88 not out, Trott got 73 not out and we only lost Porterfield for 22.

Final score we had to chase was 179.

Nice one Hannon-Dalby for taking 5 wickets and Poysden for taking 3.

(Also, well done Poysden for taking a nice catch at the Ashes test the other day, a taste of yet to come many will say!)

Interestingly, my brother had a photo taken with Adrian Chiles and Trott.  My brother asked Trott if he was going to play T20 again and Trott turned his nose up at the prospect, which I thought was a shame.  You're not that good any more champ ;)

• Like 1

Well done to Warwickshire for absolutely destroying Glamorgan yesterday.  I know they're not a great team, but Chopra got a nice 88 not out, Trott got 73 not out and we only lost Porterfield for 22.

Final score we had to chase was 179.

Nice one Hannon-Dalby for taking 5 wickets and Poysden for taking 3.

(Also, well done Poysden for taking a nice catch at the Ashes test the other day, a taste of yet to come many will say!)

Interestingly, my brother had a photo taken with Adrian Chiles and Trott.  My brother asked Trott if he was going to play T20 again and Trott turned his nose up at the prospect, which I thought was a shame.  You're not that good any more champ ;)

In one of the T20 games on Sky, Nick Knight asked Dougie Brown why Trott wasn't getting a game (jokingly, as Trott was sat next to him at the time), as he's still the Bears' top T20 run scorer. Dougie said Jim Troughton had had reminded him he was the Bears' second top T20 run scorer, and Trott had as much chance as Troughton of getting a game! :D

Yes its how you score them to be fair. I remember back in 2007 in a quarter against lancs. I think we needed 8-10 runs an over and Trott was just pushing singles giving the responsibility to the other player. A lot of us fans then were very frustated. Chopra plays the Trott role now anyway. We don't need two players to bat through the innings. His 50 over record stands up with the best though. 

Mitchel Johnsons interview on the BBC responding to the crowd chants is pretty funny.

I'm beginning to like him a bit now.  :)

It's all part of the Panto. MJ is just the latest in a long line of Aussie villains, who are mostly, pretty decent blokes away from the cricket field. It's part of his game that he seems to embrace, and as long as it doesn't get out of hand, everyone is OK with it. I suppose Broad is the Aussie's equivalent at the moment. 

I realise it is rather a 'miserable' way of looking at the situation but I see Northants are in a spot of financial trouble (reported by BBC and Cricinfo). Wonder if this would help Warks to smooth in and get David Willey.

I don't think it makes any difference because in cricket you cant move mid-contract, you have to wait until you are out of cotract before you can speak to other counties, so i suppose Willey will be out of contract at the end of the season and doesn't want to sign another one, so he's free to move to whereever he wants. If someone like Notts or Surrey come him for him forget it, we can't match their wages. Its first div cricket he wants so whoever offers him the best contract wins. Our highest paid player is on about 90k a year. Notts are paying Taylor more than that. Davies went to Surrey for 100k a year. 

Our debts are bigger than Northants but our income is much greater. 

Edited by PaulC

What are the wages like for counties?

I read on the Telegraph that the central England contracts are £650,000 basic with £12,500 for a test match fee, £5,000 for ODI's & £3,500 for T20 games.

Top earners are on about 100k. Prob about 40-50k average.

The young ones coming through will be much less, 5-10k guess why most will go to uni and get their degrees because too rely on county cricket to make a living when most of them will be discarded at 22/23 is not wise. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 2

Many things have cost us in this game. Chopra's captaincy, poor bowling except for Patel and OHD, fielding was off and early wickets. yes no problems with his batting but his miscalculations with bowlers is happening too often. 

Chopra is nowhere near as good a captain as Troughton was. 

Edited by PaulC

Â