Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Apparently Anderson told Bailey he'd like to punch him in the face in the lead up to Clarke having a pop at him. Clarke's only real crime was that he was heard by a few million people.

This whole thing about the Aussies being big meanies only seems to come up when the opposition is coming off a belting.

The Indians and Sri Lankans especially have a particular gift for making themselves into poor innocent lambs when it suits them to deflect from performances.

As for Warner while I don't believe he knew about Trott's specific problem he could obviously smell a weakness there and went for the jugular. Mind you I agree with Cook that he can say what he likes in the field but players shouldn't be using the press to slag each other of.

• Like 1

Regarding the Bell or Root argument I think the selectors will be weary about Root at 3 as he had such a lot of failures at the top of the order in the summer. Bell is a number 3 batsman. That's where he bats for Warwickshire and that's where he wants to bat for England. He has never been given a consistent run there. I think he batted there and made a double hundred against India last time out when Trott was injured. Seems a pretty obvious choice really! 

Apparently Anderson told Bailey he'd like to punch him in the face in the lead up to Clarke having a pop at him. Clarke's only real crime was that he was heard by a few million people.

If that's the case, Anderson should also face the same punishment as Clarke which for lesser mortals (like club players in this country) would probably be some sort of ban rather than a relative pittance of a fine.

Edit: Though if one accpets the fact that it is the captain's responsibility to ensure that play is conducted within the spirit of the game then perhaps Clarke's position as skipper ought necessarily to mean a harsher punishment.

Personally, I think some of the 'standard' sledging (from all sets of players) has gone too far - playing hard does not mean you have to be gobby tossers. If that has now gone one step further in to effectively giving players passes to physically threaten each other (whether anything is likely to come of it is immaterial) then the cricket authorities and the individual countries' boards, coaches and captains ought to have a bloody good look at themselves.

Time was when the umpires perhaps would have stepped in and sorted it out but they've largely been emasculated over the last couple of decades not least by the lack of support given to them by the ICC and beyond.

Edited by snowychap

If that's the case, Anderson should also face the same punishment as Clarke which for lesser mortals (like club players in this country) would probably be some sort of ban rather than a relative pittance of a fine.

Edit: Though if one accpets the fact that it is the captain's responsibility to ensure that play is conducted within the spirit of the game then perhaps Clarke's position as skipper ought necessarily to mean a harsher punishment.

Personally, I think some of the 'standard' sledging (from all sets of players) has gone too far - playing hard does not mean you have to be gobby tossers. If that has now gone one step further in to effectively giving players passes to physically threaten each other (whether anything is likely to come of it is immaterial) then the cricket authorities and the individual countries' boards, coaches and captains ought to have a bloody good look at themselves.

Time was when the umpires perhaps would have stepped in and sorted it out but they've largely been emasculated over the last couple of decades not least by the lack of support given to them by the ICC and beyond.

Its always gone on. In the days of Chappel and Thompson i guess a lot of stuff was said but we never heard it. 

As PaulC says, this has always gone on. I have a book called 'Why Are You so Fat' - the talkSport book of best ever sledges.  There are some classics in there but perhaps more in the way of personal insults rather than threats. Some beauties  relating to Mike Gatting and his less than svelte figure. Some classics on Youtube too; check-out Curtley Ambrose and Steve Waugh where the 'hero' Ambrose has to be pulled away, quite forcibly, from Waugh.  

I've got no issue with sledging at all. In my playing days I've been on the receiving end of some very funny verbals, as well as some pretty nasty stuff. I treated it all the same, and you'd normally just end up having a beer and a laugh about it after the match.

A mate of mine played in the same youth leagues as Steve Harmison, and having tried to bounce Harmison, got told "You're too slow to bowl that short". A few balls later, and he got Harmison caught trying to hook him away, the response from my mate was, "You're too sh*t to play that shot!" Harmison had the last laugh of course, as he went on to be the best bowler in the world for a while.

Edited by dAVe80

So Warwickshire are going to be named Birmingham Bears for the T20 in the summer. All a bit stupid really.

All to do with money I assume? Alienates a lot of Warwickshire fans, who aren't Brummies. Stupid move if you ask me. If rolls were reversed, and they became, say Coventry Bears, I'd find it difficult to support them in the T20 format of the game.  

Its always gone on...

Even if it has, I think that kind of comment is a cop out, Paul.

As acknowledged above, there are different levels of chat - some of the stuff that can be genuinely described as banter, some that is a never ending, intense torrent towards the opposition and some things like what was said by Clarke (and purported to have been said by Anderson) which are beyond that - and there probably ought to be different reactions to them. To lump them all in as one and wave it away as so many do with a 'twas ever thus is beyond disappointing, especially with regards to the last of the three.

...if you cant take it yourself, then dont dish it out...

Though I think the attitude largely expressed on this subject doesn't actually care whether one dishes it out or not, it is being put forward as a 'part of the game' even though it is something which is spelt out in the preamble as not part of the game.

...In my playing days I've been on the receiving end of some very funny verbals, as well as some pretty nasty stuff...

I've spent a lot of time in the middle (well not as much as a proper batsman!) having conversations with wicketkeepers and slips (at school and in club games) and the odd joke (sometimes at my expense, sometimes at the expense of others) which is fine (it was all probably a subtle form of sledging though they really had no need to take the trouble on my account ;)) but I've rarely come across stuff that I would call sledging (i.e. chat for the sake of putting someone off/winding them up or downright abuse) and each occasion was unnecessary, out of order and suggested the bod giving out the verbal was an utter twunt (often backed up by their teammates).

Edited by snowychap

Oh yeah, you'd normally find it was the weedy little shit on the opposition side who'd give it the most. I'd very rarely get involved. I used to bowl off spin, so it was hard to be intimidating when you're floating down arm balls! I'd always let a batsman know how pleased I was, if I took their wicket though. I've had a fair few stare downs with bowlers too, when batting.

So Warwickshire are going to be named Birmingham Bears for the T20 in the summer. All a bit stupid really.

Cricket selling their soul like football. I imagine it will alienate a lot of fans of Warwickshire who have no affinity to Birmingham in the slightest.

Cricket selling their soul like football. I imagine it will alienate a lot of fans of Warwickshire who have no affinity to Birmingham in the slightest.

Yep I highly doubt that re branding themselves is going to draw in the extra crowds that they obviously want.

Oh yeah, you'd normally find it was the weedy little shit on the opposition side who'd give it the most. I'd very rarely get involved. I used to bowl off spin, so it was hard to be intimidating when you're floating down arm balls! I'd always let a batsman know how pleased I was, if I took their wicket though. I've had a fair few stare downs with bowlers too, when batting.

Fielding at silly in Malta. I asked the batsman a question between balls for the whole over.

Ball 1: "Can you get Radio2 here mate?"

*No answer*

Ball 2: "Can you get Radio4 here mate?"

*No answer*

Ball 3: "Can you get the World Service here mate?"

*No answer*

Ball 4: "Can you get access to British television online mate?"

"Keeps, can you get your man to shut the **** up?"

"He's only being polite mate, play your shots. If you're lucky you might smack him in the belly"

Ball 5: "Did you listen to Gardeners Question Time yesterday mate?"

"Mate, I swear to god!..."

Ball 6: He attempts to pull the shot so hard that it'll hit me. Top edge. In the air for what seems like minutes. Caught. Out

" **** you.Your country and your **** radio!"

• Like 3

Â