Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Can't seem to bat our way out of a paper bag at the minute. However.I think our bowlers will still win this for us.

Compton back for the final test and Root at number 6 please. 

batted out of our skin this morning compared to how we usually start a new day, especially considering it was the tail with only one wicket to go, they lasted 2 overs, unfortunately we didn't even manage the one run I predicted.

Guess we need a good performance in the field to stop this one getting away from us.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

I'd go with not out, out and not out.

Edit: Thinking more about them, I could see why 2 and 3 might be the other way around (not out and out) but the first one would appear to be clearly covered in the laws (ball grounded after first strike when being lawfully struck twice).

Edited by snowychap

Ah, the first one doesn't say he hit it away with his hand (I must have imagined that when I looked at it the first time!). So, now not sure! 

First one is a legal second hit as he's protecting his wicket. Hitting the ball twice is a way of being out, only allowed exceptions are protecting wicket (unless it interferes with a catch - when its out regardless of protecting wicket) and returning it to fielding side with their consent. So the only question that remains is can you be caught off a legal second hit and as you can't score runs off a legal second hit (unless batsmen had already crossed or overthrows) it seems logical that you can't be caught off it either. Not Out

Second one is definitely out caught, the grass is irrelevant, it was discussed in the last test or two about an Aussie catch Out

Third one iirc the laws state you cannot be bowled if the ball having left the bowlers then subsequently touches one of the fielding side or the umpire with no specific mention of the opposite wicket which I thing is technically considered to be part of the pitch, so odd as it seems I think its Out

Â