Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

The main purpose is winning the game not individual achievements.  Ok they should be able to bowl the Aussies out in 5 and a half sessions but why not give ourselves as much time as possible.

Yeah I have figured out the purpose of the game.

And you already answered your own question.

But if Root gets 200 for England against Australia at Lords this early in his career it might do so much for his confidence it can only be good for his career.  

I don't know enough about Root at this stage, but if he is a confidence player then he will feel ten feet tall when he hits 200, and as a captain you can't pass up chances to make things like that happen. Man management. 

• Like 1

But if Root gets 200 for England against Australia at Lords this early in his career it might do so much for his confidence it can only be good for his career.  

I don't know enough about Root at this stage, but if he is a confidence player then he will feel ten feet tall when he hits 200, and as a captain you can't pass up chances to make things like that happen. Man management. 

Exactamundo, the guy's 22 he's probably on cloud 9 right now. Getting the majority of the runs that sunk the Aussies at Lords has to be a massive boost to your confidence. Also, in the future when he's getting chin music from the Indians or Saffers, he'll dig deep, say to himself "I got 200 against the Aussies at Lords, **** you!"

Great knock from Root but for me England should declare overnight and probably should have done so in the evening. They should give themselves every opportunity to win the game as quickly as possible. All the talk of 5 and half session being enough is probably true but let's face it, if England haven't wrapped things up by tea on Monday then they'll have a sweat on. Just get the job done and start planning for Old Trafford.

Theres another good reason to not declare overnight, the new ball is due and the Aussies will probably take it first thing, that also gives us a chance to see how the pitch performs with the new ball before declaring

• Like 1

Great knock from Root but for me England should declare overnight and probably should have done so in the evening. They should give themselves every opportunity to win the game as quickly as possible. All the talk of 5 and half session being enough is probably true but let's face it, if England haven't wrapped things up by tea on Monday then they'll have a sweat on. Just get the job done and start planning for Old Trafford.

If England declare overnight and they haven't wrapped it up by tea on Monday, Australia would be very close to 550, How likely is that? Let Root make his 200, if we can't bowl the Aussies out in the fourth Innings in just under two days we don't deserve to win

• Like 1

Really I doubt whether making 200 is going to make a massive difference to Root's career. Ok I agree that Cook being the safety first captain he is he will bat on in the morning. I think the test will come for Root when he goes through a bad spell. All batsman go through it. Cook did before the last Ashes in Australia. Bell was dropped in 2009 but then went on to have a magnificent 2 years before Ajmal destroyed his confidence.

This is a  woeful Australian side compared to 2005. Even the bowling is pretty lightweight.

Edited by PaulC

As Geoffrey Boycott said of Root on TMS when the 200 question was posed

"He doesn't need extra confidence, he was born in Yorkshire so he will have plenty of confidence."

surely 178 is enough confidence? He'd be fine. That said, I have no problems with England batting an hour or so in the morning if they fancy. This Aussie batting line up is shit. They'll bat better than first innings sure, but I'd be surprised if they made more than 250 odd. 

There's also something to be said for setting a massive target for the Aussies, one they know they have to break all sorts of records to reach. They'll go out to bat knowing they're already beaten, and the final result is a massive demoralising defeat.

surely 178 is enough confidence? He'd be fine. That said, I have no problems with England batting an hour or so in the morning if they fancy. This Aussie batting line up is shit. They'll bat better than first innings sure, but I'd be surprised if they made more than 250 odd. 

A double century is a career defining moment though.  I'd certainly let him bat for it if I were captain and had two full days left to play with. 

• Like 1

A double century is a career defining moment though. I'd certainly let him bat for it if I were captain and had two full days left to play with.

It's also a name in a record book. He can go home after a bad day and look at that record on the Lords honours list and feel better. 178* only lives in the memory. (And the century scorers honours list of course, but that's a much longer list)

Â