Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

How long will the battery last on that thing? Ten minutes?

The question I was just about to ask. What's the point in a 2Ghz processor? It's not like 1Ghz is slow and newer versions of Android work to extend batterylife and improve performance so it's highly unlikley that you'll need more than the 1Ghz Snapdragon to run Android 3.0.

Batterylife is very important because you want to get at least a day out of your phone regardless of if you use it a lot one day or not.

I'm going to root my x10 when android 3.0 is released at the end of the year. I had a look at a nexus running stock android and it's not very nice. You need the sony or htc modifications at this stage. But from what I've read android 3.0 will be what we have been waiting for.

I see a playstation and nintendo 64 emulators are being made for android too.

But you can't root an X10. If Sony had spent half the time on their implementation of Android as they did locking the phone down then no-one would need to root it.

dirk Android 3.0 isn't out even. The X10 will be rooted shortly and certainly by the time 3.0 Android is out. That version of Android will have a lot of the functionality that Sony and HTC have added in their custom UI's. So the need to stick with your manuafacturer's UI is no longer as important when 3.0 is out.

Anyway I assume EVERONE has the Locale app ? It is "the can't live without it" app so far for Android.

It makes no difference what version of Android it is, the X10 is incredibly hard to unlock. Sony Ericsson have really spent a lot of time and effort making it this way. Unless someone manages to unlock an X10 (which is looking less and less likely every day) then you'll be at the mercy of SE for your updates. How long has Eclair taken them so far?

HTC are by no means innocent in this respect though. The very people who these companies don't want to piss off are the the ones they do piss off by making them unmoddable.

no offence dirk, but you are full of shit. lad on xda has rooted his x10 . unless this is another fake it should mean android 3 on x10. to say it looks unlikely is what id expect from htc fan boys on here.

x10 rooting is just a matter of time. get over the fact the x10 is a good phone and if rooted is superior to the desire

Swype beta has expired. I'm in a state of panic. What is the best alternative to swype, I read shapewriter?

Luckily I'm here bearing gifts!

DROID = Motorola Droid/Milestone only

HVGA = Eris, Hero, G1, other low resolution devices

WVGA = Nexus One, Desire, Incredible, EVO, other high resolution devices

Regular theme (screenshot):

DROID

kujl.png

HVGA

hswj.png

WVGA

k7gk.png

HTC_IME theme (screenshot):

DROID

zrhc.png

HVGA

mqwp.png

WVGA

bvvz.png

To use: uninstall any previous versions, install, go to Settings, Keyboard, check Swype, go to an edit box and hold down until you see Input Method, choose Swype

You are my Hero Don. My Hero. I was trembling with fear when reverting to the qwerty touchscreen keyboard, the Sony one is shocking.

Why won't they just release it, I'd happily pay whatever price they want. Locale and Swype are two must have things for Android.

Has anyone actually changed any of the settings in Swype other than turning vibrate off?

no offence dirk, but you are full of shit. lad on xda has rooted his x10 . unless this is another fake it should mean android 3 on x10. to say it looks unlikely is what id expect from htc fan boys on here.

x10 rooting is just a matter of time. get over the fact the x10 is a good phone and if rooted is superior to the desire

No offence CVByrne but don't tell me I'm full of shit.

There's one guy on XDA developers who claims to have rooted the X10. After months of Paul O'Brien and numerous other HTC veterans working on it and giving up. The chances don't look good, but if they do - great, I'd consider getting one because the hardware is great. SE ROM - not so much.

There are no HTC fanboys on here, calm down with brand-loyalty shit, it's embarrassing.

Plenty of people still working on rooting the X10, It'll happen eventually. I'm in no rush myself, I'd only root when 3.0 is out so it'll be early next year before I would do it. Can't see them giving up, far harder things have been broken than a SE phone.

I got the Desire on contract last week - It is the sh*t! I can't put it down, it is simply brilliant. The apps are cool, the screen is awesome, it feels beautiful and looks sharp. All the apple fanboys hate them though. Very hard to convince an iphone user that something similar (some may say even better) phone exists.

Idiots. :)

I've converted two iphone users to switch to android. The screen on my x10 was the selling point. The new iphone is still on a 3.5 inch screen. Screen size is important for internet browsing which is what most people use the phones for. I think the evo is the one to get with that whopping big screen, battery life would be the only worry there.

Couldn't resist anymore. Logged into My T-Mobile and saw they were offering me an upgrade. I'm currently on £15 / month unlimited data, 100 mins / 100 texts and they've offered me a Desire for £60 locked in for 18 months on current tariff. Happy with that :)

Not sure what to do about the G1 though. It's still a superb phone but they go for peanuts on eBay. It's worth keeping around for SSHing into servers etc.

Â