Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Just be aware when it comes to the companies doing cashback cheques via copies of your bills etc, be warned if they go bust (and they do on a regualr basis) the you have no comeback on the network.

Good point. This deal is with Dial-a-Phone who have been around forever so unlikely to do a runner (although nothing is certain these days).

What's the best wireless file transfer app? I use AirDroid but wondering if there was a faster method like maybe wifi direct?

I use es file explorer. Free and absolutely fantastic. You can use it as an ftp client, use it to access your cloud storage, streaming music or video from the network. Orsm

Cheers, will check it out.

How do I tell if my Galaxy S3 is unlocked?

I'm guessing it isn't because I got it on contract, but anyway.

It's been pissing me off no end recently so I'm considering selling it and getting a Nexus 4. Stopped reading my SD card just before I went on holiday on Friday. It's apparently a common problem related to that problem I used to have of the phone constantly mounting, un mounting and remounting the SD card.

*#7465625#

Is it an SD card problem? I've never had any problems with SD card in my S3. Logically thinking it's highly likely the sd card is at fault and not the phone given the unreliability of them.

Also mildly amusing you'd suggest an N4 who's max storage is the same as the S3 without it's SD card.

Nope. SD card works perfectly on my sister's phone.

Yeah that's a good point, I only said that because it's cheap. But the SD card isn't my only reason for possibly wanting a change.

General thing here. How can we be in 2013 and still not have a phone that ticks all the boxes. It's still a compromise.

I've been playing with the HTC One and S4 in past few days and the One is really gorgeous and feels so much more premium. But it's very tall and you get only a 4.7 inch screen inside a phone bigger than the S4, it's wasted the space and also decided to put these big speakers on it too. Why would anyone want such things? Especially as it ads to the height of the phone meaning it can't stay in my jeans pocket while sitting down.

So we get user experience costs for this design. Smaller screen in bigger chassis for looks and speakers.

Now we get to Samsung. They weren't lazy with their design, they just focused too much on refinement and getting bigger screens into a smaller package. They did a great job of that and I own an S4 because of this. But how can they still be using plastic. At least go polycarbonate.

Touchwiz is fine imo, I am used to it and it's never bothered me. Especially because the dialler, contacts, SMS and camera apps are much better than stock. But that was the S3, the S4 really is the time the company should have shown some restraint. Why is there now quick toggles for everything you don't need in the notifications. Why is 8gb taken up for the gimmicks?

I've seen the Samsung S4 ad and I'm 100% certain the "features" are included in their phones as marketing gimmicks. To help the company show the "we're better than the iPhone" message ad nauseum. Touchwiz is now becoming overdone and it's too much.

So we're stuck with the problem of 3 devices and all compromises. The N4 has a washed out screen and doesn't get near a day on a charge for me. The HTC One is design over functionality, weird button layout, stupidly tall to fit speakers and small screen for the size of the phone. The S4 has the best functional design, it has the big screen, battery life and great camera. But Touchwiz is now becoming a problem and I'm now sick of the glossy plastic.

I loved the S3, it had no phone better than it last year. But Samsung are drifting down the wrong path in much of what they are doing. HTC still don't do enough right for me to want to use one of their phones long term while the N4 is last year's phone with poor battery life and useless camera.

It doesn't have to be this way. But as time goes on the problems increase.

Rant over.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

The missus wants a new phone, I have a S3 which I love but the iPhone 5 and the s3 are similarly priced, would the iPhone be a better investment on a 24 month contract?

You're asking on the android thread? ;) What's she got at the moment? What does she use it for? What's important to her in a phone?

Nobody will advise anyone on here to ever buy an iPhone. If what a phone looks like is the only important thing then iPhone comes into it. In all other cases only 3 phones will be suggested.

Galaxy S4

HTC One

Nexus 4

That's not true at all, if you like the iPhone buy an iPhone.   We are almost certainly closer to the iPhone 6 (or 5S) release date than we are to the iPhone 5 release date, if having more than 18 months left on your contract when the 6 (or 5S) is the sort of thing that bothers you then sit tight and wait on the new iPhone and get it at release. I strongly feel Android is a superior phone operating system to iOS though, and given how Apple have basically spent the last two years making iOS more like Android it seems they agree.

iOS still has the advantage with getting certain apps first, but  Android has been going through something of a gaming renaissance in 2013 and for other stuff like productivity and nav and day to day stuff Android will always be capable of far more than iOS ever is because Apple lock down iOS so tightly.  The fact that you have to jailbreak iOS to change your default browser from Safari is disgusting in this day and age.  

I wouldn't buy an S3 on a two year contract now, it's over a year old already and there are plenty of better options out there. 

If I were buying a phone it would be one of the three Connor mentioned.   I love my Nexus 4 for reasons I have mentioned multiple times in this thread and I might be feeling smug about it once the next version of Android is released on it ages before the S4 and HTC One get it.   I'd definitely go look at the S4 and HTC One though.  The HTC One seems to be the phone that Android people who work in the tech industry are buying at the moment even if the S4 will be the biggest seller. It certainly looks/feels like a better piece of hardware than the S4 does, but the user experience is probably similar and based upon which of Sense or Touchwiz offends you the least.  Go to a phone shop, see what you like the look of the best. Don't buy an S3 on a two year contract. 

I'd advise people to go with Android. 

But the gap between the two, for the average user, isn't as big as this thread (and the Apple thread for that matter) would have you believe, imo.

To follow on from that. If the missus has never owned an iPhone newer than the 3GS then the choice is simply. Get a HTC One in my opinion, it looks gorgeous. Or get a S4 as it's a great phone too and you are very familiar with Touchwiz as you own an S3. The Nexus is also a good choice as it's amazing value, but you need to buy direct from Google off contract.

But if she loves iPhone and needs to have one get the 5 or wait for the 5S.

Lawwwwwwwwwl.

Apple seeks Android source code from Google

Apple has asked a US court to direct Google to handover the source code of its Android operating system.

NEW DELHI: In its patent war with Samsung, US technology titan Apple seems to have finally taken the fight to Google. The company founded by late visionary Steve Jobs has asked a US court to direct the world's biggest internet search company to handover the source code of its Android operating system.

According to a news report in Bloomberg Businessweek, Apple told the US court that Google is "improperly withholding" data that it requested in the pre-trial information sharing stage. Apple has sought this information in the second-patent infringement case it has filed at the San Jose court. As per the court filing, the iPhone maker has argued that Android is used in all of Samsung's allegedly infringing products and "provides much of the accused functionality."

The latest development in the war between Apple and Samsung comes in the lawsuit that includes patent violation charges on phones like iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III.

However, a lawyer for Google (but who also represents Samsung in the case) told the court that the Tim Cook-led company made this "strategic decision to keep Google off the complaint." He said that the internet search giant does not have the same legal rights as the Apple and Samsung in this case "with respect to reciprocal discovery," the report states.

Apple and Samsung are embroiled in a patent battles across various parts of the world. One of the biggest judgements in the matter came last year, when a US jury concluded that Samsung has violated Apple patents and awarded the latter $1.05 billion. However, this sum was slashed later to $450.5 million by the court and a new date to determine final damages in the case was set.

You gotta hand it to Apple. They've a neck like a jockey's b*ll*cks :)

I think someone needs to explain to Apple what "open source" means.

Good luck with that. You've got a better chance of convincing the Catholic church to endorse condoms. Essentially in both cases you're arguing with reason against religious dogma.

I think someone needs to explain to Apple what "open source" means.

Good luck with that. You've got a better chance of convincing the Catholic church to endorse condoms. Essentially in both cases you're arguing with reason against religious dogma.

ha ha ha, but they could just, you know, download it :)

Received a lot of advice on choosing a new phone on here and to those people i again extent my gratitude for that. After also reading many reviews i have plumped for the HTC One due to it's build quality and speakers, the latter which will be used a lot as i go to many concerts and want to download decent quality videos to youtube.

I had tested the Galaxy S4 but hated the plastic build quality and although it had more software options i found those to be gimmicky and something which i wouldn't use.

I did however get a massive shock when i was finalising my contract with Mobiles.co.uk which i will post in the Mobile Contract thread and it's something that people who haven't had a mobile contract before should be aware of.

Â