Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I like options, that's why I like Android so much. Pick the phone that suits.

I have no use for a 10 inch tablet running Android or iOS. They are big phones, they have next to zero productivity, the apps are throwaway, utterly limited and lack any real use. Big tablets are basically pointless versions of ultrabooks to me.

Now when you make them smaller, like 7-8 inches they become great portable media players. I love how my nexus can slip into my pocket when I'm boarding a plane or train and come back out once I'm in my seat. They are handy for quick reading and excellent for watching video on short trips.

I love it, now of course an iOS device is useless, well to me it is. I have no interest in having to convert video to apples format to use on their devices. Let alone the rest of their crippling limitations. BUT they made a perfect sized small tablet in the iPad Mini.

Now if Samsung could get Super Amoled Plus on a new 7.7 inch tablet, get the cost down and I'd be sold. I care not for anything other than JellyBean, I don't care if it's never updated. Just give me the screen teck that makes video look stunning and gimmie an iPad mini beating price and I'll sell my Nexus 7.

As for actual use. Microsoft Surface is the only real chance for a large form tablet to take off imo for me. It has productivity via Win8, it has the kick stand, it has a keyboard and USB ports for mouse etc.. It make Android and iOS on large tablets look like the waste of time and money they are.

Why can't Apple devices run Android? The iPad mini looks a stunning piece of hardware, but is an utterly useless device to me running iOS.

I need the iPad mini to make people see Samsungs 7.7 inch tablet is the best size for a smaller device. Nexus 7 is just slightly too small for me.

I believe there's a couple of projects extant to try to port Android to at least one generation of iP(hone|ad).

iDroid Project

The iDroid Project's goal is to fully port the Linux kernel and the Google Android OS to Apple's iDevices. With the utilisation of our 'OpeniBoot' bootloader, we have gained the ability to boot the Linux Kernel therefore enabling us to boot Google Android & any other Linux based operating system easily.

iDroid itself is distributed either as a binary download package or using the projects official iOS application Bootlace which enables you to install iDroid & OpeniBoot without the need for a computer.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the forums. You can also talk to developers directly in #iphonelinux or #idroid-dev on irc.freenode.net

[bTW, if I was going to do a train-driver impression, I'd have done a lmgtfy ... for me at least, this was the third google link for "porting android to iphone"]

Most of the hardware isn't supported yet, though (i.e. no cellular data support, only the first gen has wifi working.

Why can't Apple devices run Android? The iPad mini looks a stunning piece of hardware, but is an utterly useless device to me running iOS.

I need the iPad mini to make people see Samsungs 7.7 inch tablet is the best size for a smaller device. Nexus 7 is just slightly too small for me.

I must admit that I am quite amazed by your comment. How does it look stunning? is it just the form factor? On every level the ipad mini screams that its been built to a price point. Lower res screen, 2 year old cpu, lack of memory. Apple need to decide going forward if they are going to make this a cheap ipad or the best ipad mini the can.

Apple have seen their market share in the tablet market been sliced down to just over 50% since 2011 and was forced to bring out something cheaper. In America the ipad mini is only 30 dollars more than an ipod touch.

Of course this will sell and at this spec I doubt there will be many ipad users trading in their ipad 2's or 3s for one but some will.

Mykey I mean mostly external. The former factor, the screen size, weight etc.. I'd love it running JellyBean. The processor is made to a price point, I agree. I wouldn't be much bothered by that if it was fine for video.

But as far as screen res, I don't care about a few more pixels if the screen looks good. Pixels don't matter for video, colours do.

Basically it's the perfect for style for me, had it been a Stock Android device I'd be more keen on it that a nexus 7 even given the price difference.

I'd be tempted by the iPad mini. As I understand it, the range of educational apps on iOS is much better than on Android. My daughter is getting to the age where that becomes a factor in my thinking.

Just got a rock quicksand case for my S3. Got rave reviews and looks great. Dont really want to cover up the phone but after it smashed and chipped everywhere last time I cant be too careful.

P.s. Jellybean is out for unlocked phones it seems.

The LG Nexus 4 may be a bigger leap from the Galaxy Nexus than the GNex was from the Nexus S

It's surreal to imagine that next month this time I might be walking around with an LG Nexus 4. What's most impressive about the LG Nexus 4 is that it will be a bigger improvement over the Galaxy Nexus, than the Galaxy Nexus was over the Nexus S.

The LG Nexus 4 is either as big of a generational leap, or bigger.

Here a comparison of the specifications:

GPU

Nexus S: 200 MHz PowerVR SGX540

Galaxy Nexus: 384 MHz PowerVR SGX540

LG Nexus 4: Adreno 320

I mentioned this yesterday, but the Galaxy Nexus basically had an overclocked version of the same GPU the Nexus S had. The LG Nexus 4 has an Adreno 320 paired with 4 Krait cores which wipes the floor with practically anything. Here are the benchmarks:

http://goo.gl/Fsgt7

CPU

Nexus S: 1GHz single-core ARM Cortex-A8

Galaxy Nexus: 1.2GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9

LG Nexus 4: 1.5GHz quad-core Krait

The quad-core Krait is a much bigger leap over the dual core A9 in all aspects. This is quite a different chip, and it's a beast. Just look at the benchmarks that Anandtech did:

http://goo.gl/nQlrC

RAM

Nexus S: 512MB

Galaxy Nexus: 1GB

LG Nexus 4: 2GB

Technically this isn't the biggest leap, but even then the amount of RAM in the LG Nexus 4 is huge. This is double the RAM of the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S3.

Screen

Nexus S: 800x400 4" SAMOLED (233 ppi)

Galaxy Nexus: 1280x720 4.65" SAMOLED (316ppi)

LG Nexus 4: 1280x768 4.7" IPS LCD (318ppi)

The LG Nexus 4 has a slightly bigger screen, and I don't think I have to explain the huge difference between Super AMOLED and the beauty of IPS LCD displays. It's light years ahead in quality, brightness and saturation. If we look at what Apple classifies as 'retina', which is 300+ ppi then you'll see that the LG Nexus 4 also is a winner in this category.

Battery

Nexus S: 1,500 mAh Replaceable

Galaxy Nexus: 1,750 mAh (LTE edition had 1,850 mAh) Replaceable

LG Nexus 4: 2,100 mAh non-replaceable

The higher amount of milliampere per hour (mAh) should definitely help in a much longer lifespan of the LG Nexus 4, but LG is also claiming to have created a battery that is 60% more efficient at the same capacity than it's competitors. LG has much more control over the behaviour of all the hardware inside the phone because most of it is built by themselves. This usually is a huge energy saver. Even if this claim is highly generous, the capacity leap alone gives this one to the LG Nexus 4.

Camera

Nexus S: 5MP auto-focus, single LED flash, sub 720p video recording

Galaxy Nexus: 5MP auto-focus, single LED flash, 1080p video recording

LG Nexus 4: 8MP auto-focus, single LED flash, 1080p video recording

The camera in Nexus phones never have been that great unfortunately. Unfortunately the leaked photos of the LG Nexus 4 haven't been that great either, but I assume that's because of software / driver issues in the test units. Let's hope this gets fixed - at least we should see a significant bump up from the quality of photos that the Galaxy Nexus delivers.

On-board Storage

Not much is known about this. The test units only have 8GB of on-board storage, but that's normal for test units. This isn't representative of what you'll finally end up with. I expect that there will be 16GB and 32GB versions of the phone - which should be more than enough on a stock Jelly Bean device considering how tightly it makes use of Google's cloud services.

Â