Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Great price. Any one know any good tablets for under a 100 quid. My father in law wants to buy one for his grand daughter who is 2. So she can play some educational games and watch YouTube cartoons and I player

I'm pretty much decided that I'll get the nexus 10 soon. Just wondering if it will wok well with my s3 in anyway?

Google have announced updates to play store to allow us to buy movies and music. Get this though the music match service that you pay Apple or Amazon an annual fee for will be free in Google music.

Does the match service mean that you'll only be able to play them when on wifi?

Team Nexus! :D

Does the match service mean that you'll only be able to play them when on wifi?

Nah. You can stream music from Google over 3G, you can also store the songs you download on your phone. You can also stream music from any browser you are logged into which is pretty handy if you are a mates house.

So google are loss leading in the hope of getting users to pay for content? Incredible pricing.

Just checked ebay, people are selling their S2's for £200ish second hand. For £80 more than that you can get the new nexus phone.

Giff Gaff are going to be getting a lot of business off the back of this.

I think this could be a watershed moment in the mobile technology history. We've seen in developing countries where technology has been made accessible to less affluent sectors of society at very little compromise in the quality of product. Perhaps that business model is filtering down to the big western markets?

I dont know whether they are loss leading or just selling at cost. I would presume it's the latter though.

It is logical when you think about it, Google just want as many users as possible both in their search and web products services and to use the play store. The OEM's get a bit of prestige out of being a flagship brand, just look how well Samsung have done out of being bestest buddies with Google over the past two years. Maybe Asus (Nexus 7) and LG (Nexus 4) are hoping a bit of that magic will rub off on them and their other products. It's all terribly consumer friendly and at the moment it seems too good to be true. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying an unbranded, unlocked 16gb Nexus 4.

It is a total game changer. Outside of the US. People are not going to give up their LTE over there for a Nexus. Over here in Europe it'll be a monster hot and rightly so. They have totally hamstrung WP8 in my opinion.

Wow. Starting to things I should have waited a couple more months rather than leap to the S3 . There will be a fair few appearing on eBay as well.

One thing is for certain, only a right knob would go and get a Nokia Lucia now...... :-P

It's interesting in the US. The backtracking from the LTE Galaxy Nexus (the only officially released Galaxy Nexi were LTE on the Sprint and Verizon networks, with enough carrier subsidies and resulting non-vanilla cruft to make updates for them slow to roll out: the Verizon GNex only got Jelly Bean a few weeks ago!) is telling.

Google appears to be tired of dealing with Sprint and Verizon; this is a sign that Motorola is dead, as they're extremely Verizon-dependent. As for Sprint, their contractual obligations to get a fifth of their subscribers onto iPhones (and remember that Sprint is effectively a budget carrier now) in order to get Apple to do an iPhone variant that would work on their network probably means that they'll back away from serious Android support, beyond the current Galaxy S iteration.

Google is practically daring folks to switch from Verizon and Sprint to AT&T and T-Mobile.

Of course, it does make some sense that Google would forego LTE in an unlocked phone: Verizon flat out will not allow an unlocked phone on their network (you could unlock the phone's LTE portion, but not the voice portion). AT&T has said that at some point in the future, they'll provide LTE sims for unlocked devices, but the timeframe on that is up in the air. Sprint will almost surely go the Verizon route with their LTE network. T-Mobile have been the most amenable US carrier to unlocked devices, historically, but their LTE network is at least a year away. So in that scenario, there was no reason to offer an LTE version unless it was going to get carrier subsidized, but that would likely mean not providing a Nexus experience. I would not be surprised to see LG do an LTE version of the Nexus 4 without Nexus branding, with a carrier like Verizon subsidizing the LTE upgrade.

Well I imagine when the technology to have a multi band LTE radio has been developed the next Nexus will use it. So people can have an LTE enabled phone and then deal with the networks themselves. Meaning Google has done its part.

As for the Lumia 920 it's had its sheen wiped off it in my eyes by this nexus. But given I am in dispute with the dodgy seller on eBay over the non delivery of my Galaxy Note2. I'm down to one phone and 2 sims. I need my Irish number and that means I need a 2nd phone. So Nexus 4 and LTE Lumia 920 will be the 2 I'd imagine. I'll give the Galaxy Nexus to my brother who's been on a dumb phone for almost 6 months since he lost his Desire.

So in essence, US carriers are a bunch of word removeds.

Understatement. From all the reading and pod casts. They sound like vile entities. The European Comission would have butch slapped them if they were over here. But over there all you need to do is pay off congress. Which they do.

But we have that over here too, most phones sold under contract are subsidised by contracts it's just that UK carriers dont seem as hell bent on having "exclusive" (ie, rebadged) handsets.

Â