Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I'm about to upgrade my HTC running Android 2.2 to a Samsung GS2 - I have a 16 gig memory card in the HTC - will I be able to simply swap my memory card into the GS2 or will I need to reformat the card?

I have ICS running on my Xoom and Nexus S now. Both run beautifully with it. Overclocked the Xoom from 1GHz to 1.5GHz and it's rock solid. I can only manage 1.3GHz on the Nexus.

I have ICS running on my Xoom and Nexus S now. Both run beautifully with it. Overclocked the Xoom from 1GHz to 1.5GHz and it's rock solid. I can only manage 1.3GHz on the Nexus.

Took the plunge on the sgs2 just now. On the whole it seams to work despite the alpha status. We'll see

Did you use a guide? Care to share?

I used the CyanogenMod 9 experimental Build.

Basic stuff works (phone, gps, data, wlan, bluetooth) and some stuff don't. Random weirdness includes youtube app with distorted colors, facebook doesn't sync with your contacts, that sort of thing. It's good enough to play around in though. Nothing is lost.

It's normal flash from cwm

Info from the first post:

- Make sure you're running a proper working CWM like the one from CM7

- Copy GApps, GApps-Fixer, Faceunlock and CM9 ZIPs to your internal SDCard

- Boot into Recovery

- Flash CM9 zip

- Flash GApps, Faceunlock and GApps-Fixer ZIPs

- DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your calendar sync will not work)

- Reboot

- Don't restore Apps using Titanium Backup!

Deleted files hero coming back on my phone. I've deleted a load of avi files but after every restart the files reappear. This time a load of recent photos have vanished to make room for three files. Anyway to delete them for good?

Is anyone else waiting for the Skygo app for Android. The one that Sky says is still in development. The one that Sky Ita;ia have had out for a while now.......

I have started posting questions on their facebook page about this as the rumours are they have a 6 month exclusivity deal with Apple so we have basically been screwed over......

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a cheap (we're talking $65) Android netbook a couple of days ago and bought it. It will almost surely not see anything beyond Froyo (it's a 700 MHz ARMv6 cpu, after all), but it gets the job done.

Will probably buy a Captivate Glide (aka SGS I.V + hardware keyboard) within the next few days, thanks to my unstable uncle paying back a loan.

Looking for a bit of advice on what phone to upgrade to as I have not got a clue on modern phone technology.

Just looking for one that is a bit of fun as my 3 year old enjoys mucking about with her Aunties Iphone so I was looking at getting one.

But is the HTC for example any better or just as good?

I had a whole load of reasons why you should get an iPhone and I've pretty much just disproved every one in my head:

If you want something that's easy to use - It's at best 50:50 on this one as iPhones are easy to use, but the latest Samsung and HTC interfaces are fairly standard and not confusing. My 7 and 5 year old kids are absolutely fine with my various Android devices and would struggle a little with an iPhone.

If you want something that's not going to be mocked by your social group - It used to be that everyone at parties and at work would have their iPhones and you would be the odd one out with an Android. Now it's the other way round. It's easier to share app recommendations, tips etc. with all the people who now have HTC, Moto, Samsung, ZTE etc. devices because there are more of them about. They just don't shout about it quite as loudly as the iOS users.

If you want something that's not going to cause you headaches - You will have to fiddle now and again with an Android phone. Something random like it won't connect to your PC, there's a setting you don't know how to change, an app is misbehaving causing your phone to slow down etc. The thing is, no matter how much the iOS clan would like to pretend otherwise, there's just as many problems with iPhones. They have issues updating versions of iOS, iTunes doing funny things, phones slowing down and doing random things. So it's a fact of life for any smartphone that they aren't 100% maintenance free.

Richer experience - I personally think in the phone space, Android devices now give a richer experience because almost all apps are available across both platforms, but sometimes e.g. Minecraft, which my kids play all the time, was out quite a bit earlier than the iPhone version. You tend to find apps come out for Android first and iPhone second these days, bar stuff specifically aimed at metro-woman such as Weight Watchers apps etc. On tablets I'd say the iPad is still ahead of Android though.

So I'd say you can get something half the price than an iPhone and not really have any disadvantages. Android use is quite a bit bigger than iPhone now and the gap is growing. iPhones are nice, but the interface is a bit old-fashioned, they're expensive, and now they're not actually that popular.

Â