Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Fucksticks, went on a roller-coaster with the kids and the safety harness broke the screen on my Desire Z :-(

Called the boss and said I'll be offline for the rest of the vacation, he declined and told me to get a temp phone for £250 ish tops. Found a Galaxy S (white ghey) for that amount. Must say, what a screen it is.

Just imagine how good a SAMOLED2 must be!

Just imagine how good a SAMOLED2 must be!

I can imagine.

I just remembered how buggy the android calender is with active sync. Miss the Sense calender :-( Even the Samsung one was better but the touchwiz crap had to go, laggy as ****.

@MJMooney - I use Android on a cheap PAYG deal, and it is definitely do-able with a bit of tweaking. Hopefully your visit to Orange sorted you out, but if not, I think you just need to get a couple of useful widgets on your home screens.

It sounds like everything you're downloading is going through your 3G data connection and using up internet usage data. (That might be intentional on your part..? In which case ignore me.) But if you've got wi-fi network at home/work(both?) then you can cut out a lot of data charge by setting your phone to use the wireless networks you're commonly in range of and switching off 3g data connectivity. This does rely on you having wifi - so may or may not be of use to you.

My phone's setup to use my wireless network at home, and a number of other locations where I might have access to wireless. (My folks, my in-laws, the office, Hatton Country World...) Then put a widget on your home screen called "Data Traffic". It gives you a really easy, one-touch way to enable or disable mobile data connections, without effecting your wi-fi connectivity.

So basically, I leave my data connection switched off, and when browsing t'Internet or using email etc on my smartphone it routes through wi-fi. This won't be any charge to your mobile. And then if I'm out somewhere without wi-fi and I need to check email or suchlike, only then do I enable data connection. (And once finished, disable it again.)

So hang in there a bit longer - it may well be that with a bit of tweaking you can find a way to make it work for you on PAYG.

Wife got a mobile phone through work so decided she wanted something cheap to use and sold her Iphone4. The Samsung Tocco Lite that she bought was pure shite though and so wants something a bit better.

I have took a bit of a gamble and bough a Samsung Galaxy Europa of ebay which is locked because the user had the pattern unlock set and after so many wrong attempts it locks you out completely. There are several methods of getting round this according to the net and so now the pressure is on to get this unlocked and working or I may end up having to cook my own meals.....or worse.

Is there no bootloader or recovery to boot into? Tried volup + poweron and voldown + power with a combination of home too?

Otherwise, try adb reboot recovery or adb reboot bootloader.

Once in the bootloader you can use fastboot to reboot into recovery

Once in recovery you can just delete any user data. Samsung can't lock out recovery or bootloader like HTC do otherwise Kies wouldn't work.

I dont know yet as waiting for the phone to come.

There are plenty of options to try once it comes.

The simplest appears to be to put the new sim in and then phone it from another phone, once you answer it apparently you can get into the menus and settings etc.

For anyone worried about data (like me on 250Mb per month), you can't beat Curvefish's "APN OnOff". Nips any unwanted transfer in the bud via a simple toggle button.

Can't get my Samsung Galaxy Apollo to connect to GPS satellites, really annoying, seems to be a common problem with the Galaxy range. Any had the issue and fixed it? I've tried a few of the apps like faster GPS and GPS fix from the market but no joy :-(

I'm lovin my Galaxy S2 apart from the fact it eats data , i swear i'm doin somethin wrong on it lol

Mine was doing the same but it has calmed down now. Try changing your network mode (in mobile networks) to WCDMA only. That seemed to slow it down a bit for me.

I use an app called 3G Watchdog to monitor it too. It lets you set how much data you have and warns you when you get to a certain level. It makes it much easier to monitor your usage.

the aul zte blade is still going strong heavy usage, fallen into a sink of water etc.....Still working as good as ever

I loved my Orange san Francisco (same as ZTE Blade) and think I replaced it a bit prematurely as it seemed to have died following various drops and baby drool on it but fired it up last night and its working like a charm. I did manage to get GPS working in the end on my Galaxy Apollo. After trying lots of settings and apps from the market GPS Booster seemed to have had the desired effect.

250Mb per month

:crylaugh:

I thought my 2gig a month wouldnt be enough

It's a work phone. Plus I really only use it on Wifi at home. I've yet to get near the 250Mb outside the house. I turn off tweetdeck updates during the day or they'd hammer that limit.

Â