Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

I'm sure I was told a few pages ago that there were no software issues with Android.

This sounds like a right **** of various seemingly unsolvable problems. It's putting me off.

There are issues with all software at all times.

Which "this" are you referring to?

I'm sure I was told a few pages ago that there were no software issues with Android.

This sounds like a right **** of various seemingly unsolvable problems. It's putting me off.

That doesn't really make much sense mate.

Don't know who told you there were no software problems with Android. Even if it wasn't so ambiguous, you couldn't ever say any piece of software has no issues.

Issues with apps? Bugs in the software itself? Usability issues? Bugs in the source code or a compiled version?

It's about as accurate as saying there's no driving issues with cars. Sure they all go on the road and can turn corners, so cars in general don't have any driving issues, but individual instances of parts wearing, breakdowns, people crashing them etc. is such a long a complicated subject that you couldn't ever accurately define a statement like that.

Android doesn't even mean a single operating system. It's refers to an ecosystem. You've got the Android Open Source Project, where the Nexus phones have their OS built from source very close to that, then HTC, Samsung etc build their versions from their own source tree taken from AOSP and modified more.

Android is very transparent. There are no nasty surprises. Just the same as iOS or Windows Phone. 

I will be giving up on android when my contract is up. Bored of constant issues made even worse by the recent update.

In 4 years of ios I can count on one hand the amount of times I had to restart my phone, it is a weekly occurance on my S3 :(

Finally up to 4.3 on my SIII LTE, just saw that CEX give £170 trade in for it and charge £310 for a Nexus 5. Might have to make the upgrade.

Sounds daft but can you change lockscreen widgets on 4.3? I can't seem to be able to do it.

I will be giving up on android when my contract is up. Bored of constant issues made even worse by the recent update.

In 4 years of ios I can count on one hand the amount of times I had to restart my phone, it is a weekly occurance on my S3  :(

Samsung do give Android a bad name in that department. It's why I always recommend Nexus.

Finally up to 4.3 on my SIII LTE, just saw that CEX give £170 trade in for it and charge £310 for a Nexus 5. Might have to make the upgrade.

Sounds daft but can you change lockscreen widgets on 4.3? I can't seem to be able to do it.

Yes but touchwiz based ROMs may not be able to.

• Like 1

From the s3 to nexus5. 140 sounds fair to me. Great upgrade in every way. The updates will keep it "new" for longer than any other phone as well

Yeah, kinda what I wanted to hear to be honest - S3 was my first Android device and I couldn't go back to iOS now. Like an idiot I got it last January though, so although I've only had it for a year it is actually 2 years old tech wise which is the regular upgrade timing for me personally. 

I'm assuming that if I get the Nexus 5 now, by the time a new Nexus comes out later this year I should be able to recoup the £140 spent on it by trading in and I'll also be able to upgrade due to my contract ending.

Had a quick play with KitKat on my mates Nexus 5 yesterday and it seemed really slick, must be some down points to it though? 

Edited by samjp26

I swapped the S3 for the N5 and it's well worth the upgrade.

I did have a cracked screen, dodgy battery & charger though.

It's the fastest phone I've ever used, I haven't had any lag when opening something whatsoever. 10/10

• Like 2

Â