Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Over 30 years working in IT means I'm not entirely a dinosaur. 

In fact I've always been keen on gadgets and technology, provided they deliver something that I want. So I tend to use my smartphone in a fairly limited way, not because I don't understand some of the features, but because I simply have no use for them. I don't Tweet, and I'll rarely use the camera or music player (I prefer dedicated appliances for those things). On the other hand, mobile email and web is handy, as are the maps and the Kindle reader and several of the fun gimmicks like Sky Map, SoundHound, guitar tuner, etc.  

The Moto G is an interesting development. I decided to stick with Android as I've got used to it as an OS, but it could be suggested that besides being Apple slaves or Microsoft slaves, we can now be Google slaves, on our phones as well as our computers. Ho hum. It does what I want it to. 

Edited by mjmooney

So I tend to use my smartphone in a fairly limited way, not because I don't understand some of the features, but because I simply have no use for them. I don't Tweet, and I'll rarely use the camera or music player (I prefer dedicated appliances for those things). On the other hand, mobile email and web is handy, as are the maps and the Kindlearrow-10x10.png reader and several of the fun gimmicks like Sky Map, SoundHound, guitar tuner, etc.

Oh same here. (edit: talking about myself, not my father)

Edited by legov

On my N4 the battery life isn't quite as good as I would hope, looking in the battery usage settings the 'google search' is very high at over 36%. What is using so much juice in google search? Usually screen is top but currently that only accounts fro 25%.

Since the 4.3 update on my Note 2 I cant use voice commands on my handsfree ki in my car. Guessing its another problem with bluetooth since the update. Using a parrot system in my car with issues previously. Is there an easy way to revert to an earlier software version?

On my N4 the battery life isn't quite as good as I would hope, looking in the battery usage settings the 'google search' is very high at over 36%. What is using so much juice in google search? Usually screen is top but currently that only accounts fro 25%.

To answer my own query I have made 2 changes and it seems to have taken the 'google search' completely off the battery usage list.

1) Turned off Google Now
2) Turned off the voice 'ok google' command as this can cause the phone to stay awake.

Might try turning the Google Now back on again to see what happens.

That is odd though as I have a N4 with Google Now switched on all the time and Google Search is never one of the major drains on my battery. It's always the screen for me.

Without me going through page after page of androidness can anyone tell me if the Note 3 is any good ? Reviews say its it but i prefer to listen to you lovely lot .

It's one of the best phones you can buy today, no question.

If you like rooting and custom ROMs beware though. They have a hardware tripwire that if triggered, tells if you have messed with the phone and will refuse warranty, even if you return it to factory settings and software.

Without me going through page after page of androidness can anyone tell me if the Note 3 is any good ? Reviews say its it but i prefer to listen to you lovely lot .

It's one of the best phones you can buy today, no question.

If you like rooting and custom ROMs beware though. They have a hardware tripwire that if triggered, tells if you have messed with the phone and will refuse warranty, even if you return it to factory settings and software.

That's clever, but I'm sure someone will figure out a way to bypass it eventually?

I think they just use the flash counter of the PROM.

Which I think can be reset using odin
No, it can't. Well done Samsung, you've joined HTC on my won't buy blacklist : https://plus.google.com/113517319477420052449/posts/LCfF5A9fsTG

I've experienced it myself when service centres refuse to repair devices because of the flash counter. It does happen. A lot.

Â