Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Bought a Nokia Wireless Charger of ebay for the N5 and must say its so easy to use. Just plonk it down on the bedside table at night and pick it up again in the morning fully charged.

The N5 is a huge leap forward compared to the Gnex I was using but have to say the WOW factor is less than the jump from the HTC Desire to the Samsung S2.

Is the fact that the OS has matured so much and most of the app improvements are available from the play store making the need for a Nexus not so important than it has been.

Thoughts on the moto g?

I'm scratching my head to think of reasons why I shouldn't get one. Its thrown a real spanner in the works. Do I keep my n4 when the contract runs out and just get a rolling sim, plump up the cash for n5 or g2 or go cheap and customisable with the moto g? 

Choices are such a privilege.

I *really* like my Nexus 5. I'd still go with that given the choice.

I'll be getting kid A the Moto G for Christmas. It'll be ideal for him. Modern, supported phone, that's cheaper than the ageing S3 mini.

I only hope they advertise it properly to do it justice. If they do, it could be a massive Christmas seller, being the ideal price for gifts.

4.5" 720p screen and around 330ppi

Mid range specs with optimised performance to smoothly run 4.3 and 4.4

Customisation

Cheap price

Average camera

Quite thick and a little bit heavy

Mid range specs

I put mid range specs twice as its a matter of opinion and could be viewed as a positive (compared to its price) or a negative (compared to other phones).

Overall it reminds me of a slightly toned down nexus 4 but even cheaper and more customisable.

I *really* like my Nexus 5. I'd still go with that given the choice.

I'll be getting kid A the Moto G for Christmas. It'll be ideal for him. Modern, supported phone, that's cheaper than the ageing S3 mini.

I only hope they advertise it properly to do it justice. If they do, it could be a massive Christmas seller, being the ideal price for gifts.

My son is 14 in Feb and I will look to get the Moto G as present to replace his Sony Xperia Play which he uses every single day. Looks to be the Bargain / Mid range equivalent of the Nexus 5.

Cracking phone.

I took half a dozen photos of my toddler playing on a hopscotch course yesterday and I got this as a result:

YRPtYTV.jpg

FSsRy71.jpg

lol.gif

Though to be fair it did also produce a sweet animated .gif and an "action" shot which now serves as my phones wallpaper

Battery: better than my gnex. Seems to last fine but I surround myself with charging devices everywhere these days anyway.

Camera: incredible on anything not moving. When it's moving all bets are off. With fast moving stuff with decent light it'll be like any other phone camera when you turn HDR mode off but the shutter lag is a bit of a pain. Waiting for the os update from Google to fix. If you can shoot stuff in HDR mode (90% of the time you can) you can produce breathtaking results.

Feel: superb. Light, solid, premium. Buttons feel lovely being ceramic. Not sure how it makes a difference but it does. I'll post all my HDR stuff in a min.

• Like 1

Brilliant.. cheers Darren!

Will wait and see what the update does, but think this will be my birthday present.

Barring the surprise release of a decently spec'd physical keyboard phone, I think my next upgrade will be a phablet. Were I eligible for an upgrade, I'd be able to get a Galaxy Mega 6.3" for $75, which looks great.

I've been playing with a samsung tab and it's made me a little fonder of them again after all the shit with my S3.

T'is tempting.

They don't do much "over" the hood anymore do they? My old man just got Kitkat on his Nexus7 (2012) and asked me what the difference was. I think my exact answer was fnghdd

A new interface and lower system requirements are the two main things (the second one is a big deal for people who will be buying mid range phones next year) but a full list is here.  Basically it should look prettier and run better, especially on the 2012 Nexus 7. 

New interface? Well the notifications are grey instead of blue. Other than that, new is not the word I would use when looking at it. Lower system requirements is "under the hood" in my book. Good thing though I agree.

And an argument can be used that it is a upgrade rather than a new version I guess, in 4.3-4.4

Â