• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Carew (for Heskey 72)
    • Delfouneso (for Agbonlahor 80)

As for Petrov that was more of a dive than a pen, imo, as he had lost control of the ball and was looking at which bit of James he could fall over.

I think I'd have to agree with that. Not good - looked like something Ballack would do.

Guest Ricardomeister

People are entitled to their opinions. The only pathetic thing imo is telling people that they are pathetic for holding a different opinion. It would be a very sad and boring forum if we could only say good things when we win (and by the same warped logic only bad things when we lose). Most people have acknowledged that the most important thing today was the 3 points but you also have to look at the bigger picture (as you do when we lose). There are, imo, plenty of things that can be improved on for Wednesday.

Typical VT, Villa overcome a spirited Pompey side and grab all three points and the majority of people are moaning as if we just lost. Pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

People are concerned over the performance Mantis, you'll sometimes find a really positive reaction on here to a defeat becasue people like the way we played - there are a number of people who feel the opposite way today.

There's nothing pathetic about that, it's opinion.

Spurs got beat by pompey with an alarmingly poor performance, then went and beat Arsenal and Chelsea.

i really don't understand many of these negative comments! it was a tough game against determined opponents. james was outstanding and if it wasn't for him we would've had three or four more. stonewall penalties for gabby and petrov not given.

i voted downing MOTM, nobody really stood out but i thought it was a solid team performance and i thought he was a lot better than in recent games... took on his man a lot more.

great finish from JC for the goal and i am very happy for the finz to get his first prem goal.

i thought it was going to be one of those days at one all but hesk and delf linked up well to finish it off for us.

massive three points. lets beat hull and pile some pressure on city and spurs.

People are entitled to their opinions. The only pathetic thing imo is telling people that they are pathetic for holding a different opinion. It would be a very sad and boring forum if we could only say good things when we win (and by the same warped logic only bad things when we lose). Most people have acknowledged that the most important thing today was the 3 points but you also have to look at the bigger picture (as you do when we lose). There are, imo, plenty of things that can be improved on for Wednesday.
It's not about opinion, it's the attitude people have. It stinks. Yes there are improvements to be made and valid criticisms but MON and the team have been very unfairly slated in this thread.

Also, just a general point, why when we win are we "lucky" but when we lose we deserve it? When we win some people are always making up excuses.

Thought we actually made more chances than in many games...huffed & puffed but James is an excellent keeper on his day and but for him we would have socred more.

I get the impression some people on VT would rather we didn't win just to give em the satisfaction of moaning!!

I agree with this. Delf scoring didn't even get much reaction, the poor crossing got more!

And for anyone mentioning Delph, for the 100th time, he's injured!

Also paulanddonya, hows all the poor ref decisions for luck, hows the Pompey defender deflecting the ball onto his own post for luck. We had a lot more luck last season which is probably why we aren't getting any now!

Looking at some of the reactions you can see some of the people on here are gutted we won. At 1 nil down they probably canceled their plans for the evening some they could go on the Internet and spend a few pleasurable hours slamming the team, the players and the manager. Tough shit. O'Neill made the change Fonz scored the winner assisted by Heskey, Villa got all three points and you can shut your self righteous holes for a couple of days.

On a day where Arsenal threw away a two goal lead against Wigan we should all be happy with three points against a team who's last game was a 2-0 Wembley win over Spurs.

Had we drawn or lost I'd be angry but we didn't we won, get over and enjoy it for a change.

I bet if we'd drawn and the Fonz was not brought on people would moaning at MON for that (and rightly so). Today not only did he bring the Fonz on at a crucial time but he also won us the game, yet hardly anybody is even mentioning this. I guess MON just got lucky again eh?

Did we lose? I dread to think what the Spurs boards were like last weekend? Yes, that was a similar team to the one that put the 4th placed team out. A little context please - the business end of the season is always about results and we got one.

It's not about opinion, it's the attitude people have. It stinks. Yes there are improvements to be made and valid criticisms but MON and the team have been very unfairly slated in this thread.

Also, just a general point, why when we win are we "lucky" but when we lose we deserve it? When we win some people are always making up excuses.

What you are saying is that if people do not agree with your opinion then its pathetic - its there for all to see exactly the point you are making.

You may be a happy little bunny the fact that we have won and completely ignore the fact that at times we struggled to beat possibly one of the worst teams to play in the premiership. The fact that again we stick to a same X1 that has been struggling playing fairly one dimensional football. The fact that players such as Petrov are playing at bets - average but seem exempt from removal from the team either at the start or during the match. etc etc

So many of the problems we have encountered this year were hilighted again today. Yes we won and great 3 points and the Posh Spice slim chance we have at 4th is still there, but those problems are still there and as such fans who have a realistic and clearer picture outside the claret and blue glasses tinted view that you seemingly have want to discuss them with fellow Villa fans. People like you calling them pathetic are what cause the issues

the match report on the OS refers to gabby as 'Agboblahor'; excellent.

'A slight air of frustration began to set in after the break as Ashley Young saw another valid penalty claim waived away after being felled by Vanden Borre, while Agboblahor couldn't find a way past James with a free header. '

Cuellar was better today, Milner was very good, I thought Gabby was also good, turned his marker a few times.

Downing was poor, as was Warnock.

All in all, bad luck and a poor ref cost us the chance to make the win as empathic as it should have been.

Well done to Nathan Delfouneso too, good poachers type of goal.

Good 3 points.

'A slight air of frustration began to set in after the break as Ashley Young saw another valid penalty claim waived away after being felled by Vanden Borre, while Agboblahor couldn't find a way past James with a free header. '

N is quite close to the B button....

N is quite close to the B button....

very assertive :shock:. i dont really think it needed explaining.... it just made me chuckle

A very hard earned 3 points against a team who has been relegated, through to the FA Cup final and struggled to put out a team with a full compliment of players on the bench.

The crossing from both wings is at best erratic and no real plan b it seems.

Yet again Martin waits until 70 minutes for the customary Heskey for Carew when he could have tried something a bit different 10 mins earlier as we seemed to be going nowhere.

If we can win the next 2 games then I think MON will be backed by the majority of fans me amongst them but after watching that I really wouldnt be too upset if he decided he had had enough.

Very good result. Set us up for the Hull gave. All still to play for and only 4 games left. Great goal for Delf, will boost him. Young was outstanding and the ref was out of this world poor. Gabbys "penalty is stonewall a shocking decission from the ref, the only good thing about that verdict was that he saw a free-kick the other way and gave that - that is wrong - but makes a lot better sense than the one Gabby did not get against Chelsea.

The penalty we got, was OK.

The claim they had looked like a penalty from one angel, but from another angle you could see that he slipped.

Young should have had a penalty, clear contact - shocking decision.

Petrov should also have had a penalty, even if he played for it - shocking again.

We might look tired in the end, but we still score late on so it can't be that bad.