• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Carew
    • Agbonlahor
    • Carew (for Heskey 72)
    • Delfouneso (for Agbonlahor 80)

we need to beat 63 points - if we do will be our best haul since 92/93. there is still 12 points for grabs in a fantasy world we would win all 4 and finish with 70, only 4 points beind what we got in 92/93. this is also likely to be the first season since the premiership began that we have lost less than 10 games (if only we didnt draw so many! - MON needs to work on that next!)

i understand some of the frustration with the way we peter out of some games but we are still very much progressing and have a lot to look forward to. before MON took over we hadn't hit 60 points since 96/97 and our GD was always minimal. MON is rectifying this...lets have some faith..a good victory today and the fonz have given him something to think about for the remainder of the seaosn, not just for next year.

People are entitled to their opinions. The only pathetic thing imo is telling people that they are pathetic for holding a different opinion. It would be a very sad and boring forum if we could only say good things when we win (and by the same warped logic only bad things when we lose). Most people have acknowledged that the most important thing today was the 3 points but you also have to look at the bigger picture (as you do when we lose). There are, imo, plenty of things that can be improved on for Wednesday.
It's not about opinion, it's the attitude people have. It stinks. Yes there are improvements to be made and valid criticisms but MON and the team have been very unfairly slated in this thread.

Also, just a general point, why when we win are we "lucky" but when we lose we deserve it? When we win some people are always making up excuses.

What you are saying is that if people do not agree with your opinion then its pathetic - its there for all to see exactly the point you are making.

You may be a happy little bunny the fact that we have won and completely ignore the fact that at times we struggled to beat possibly one of the worst teams to play in the premiership. The fact that again we stick to a same X1 that has been struggling playing fairly one dimensional football. The fact that players such as Petrov are playing at bets - average but seem exempt from removal from the team either at the start or during the match. etc etc

So many of the problems we have encountered this year were hilighted again today. Yes we won and great 3 points and the Posh Spice slim chance we have at 4th is still there, but those problems are still there and as such fans who have a realistic and clearer picture outside the claret and blue glasses tinted view that you seemingly have want to discuss them with fellow Villa fans. People like you calling them pathetic are what cause the issues

No, I just said it's got nothing to do with difference in opinion.

Oh, and what point might that be? :|

Did I not just say there are valid criticisms? It didn't go perfect today but we won and I still don't see how that warrants some of the responses in this thread.

we need to beat 63 points - if we do will be our best haul since 92/93. there is still 12 points for grabs in a fantasy world we would win all 4 and finish with 70, only 4 points beind what we got in 92/93. this is also likely to be the first season since the premiership began that we have lost less than 10 games (if only we didnt draw so many! - MON needs to work on that next!)

i understand some of the frustration with the way we peter out of some games but we are still very much progressing and have a lot to look forward to. before MON took over we hadn't hit 60 points since 96/97 and our GD was always minimal. MON is rectifying this...lets have some faith..a good victory today and the fonz have given him something to think about for the remainder of the seaosn, not just for next year.

i'm sorry i disagree.

we are not very much progressing at all. we have better players than we have had at any time since 93 and that is because mon has been given the means to buy them. thats all.

the same means that have been denied every manager between big ron and the current one. mon has bought some good, risk free, solid, proven premier league players and turned us into a solid no frills team.

that is not huge progress, its a decent return on the investment and the good quality of the players is showing up the fact that the manager doesnt know how to use them to their strengths.

mon never had the luxury of having quality players at his disposal and as a result doesnt know what to with them.

in the past mon carried average players by building a great team spirit, right now i have the impression that a collection of talented individuals are being forced to carry a manager who doesnt know how to use them.

Genuinely shocked by the reactions on here. Yes we weren't leading until late on but from where I was sitting, we bossed the game against a Premier League team on a high after reaching the FA Cup final, away from home. Something that you only really see the top three doing. As has been thoroughly covered, we should have had several penalties other than the one we got, which itself was absolutely stonewall. Tbf Pompey should have had one too, but I don't think that was as clear cut as Gabby's. Only a fantastic handful of saves from James kept the scoreline respectable, although Gabby/Carew shouldn't have given him a chance.

A good 3 points as far as I'm concerned. Interesting now that we have taken exactly the same amount of points at home as away, and IF we win at Hull on Wednesday then the PL table for away games only will look like:

Man United, Played: 18 Points: 33

Aston Villa, Played: 18 Points: 32

Chelsea, Played: 18 Points: 31

Getting even further ahead of myself ;) if United are held at Sunderland and we manage to beat Hull and Man City, then we'll have the best away record of the whole league this season.

Not sure the game deserves all of the negativity on here tonight. I do agree it was very frustrating up until the Fonz had his say. Over this season we have played some of the best attacking football we have played in a long time, and been credited for it by people outside of the Villa, and there is no dount that the past few weeks have been dire in terms of the football on display, but if this is the rough patch of the season and we are grinding out the results we need, then surely that ain't the end of the world! It was three points that has taken us above liverpool, a type of game that in the past we would have easily choked and not found the winner. UTV

At this stage of the season it does not matter how pretty the game is as long as we get the 3 points!

The amount of pressure on the team must be great ATM, with this to come back from a goal down away from home deserves a lot of praise.

I wont give a flying fcck if we play like a pub team for the remaining games as long as we get the points to propel us up the league as high as possible.

I'm not sure why everyone son such a downer about the performance, i thought that in the first half in particular we had some very good moments, we played the ball around well, had loads of possession, plenty of chances to score and looked comfrotable in their half. On the down side the defence looked ropey and the crosses into the box were largely poor.

Anyway, 3 points, an away win and we look odds on to finish ahead of Liverpool in 6th spot, happy days. If Man City finish 5th i'll be a relatively happy man come the end of the season.

At this stage of the season it does not matter how pretty the game is as long as we get the 3 points!

The amount of pressure on the team must be great ATM, with this to come back from a goal down away from home deserves a lot of praise.

I wont give a flying fcck if we play like a pub team for the remaining games as long as we get the points to propel us up the league as high as possible.

spot on.

-but it actually applies to any given moment and is the attitude that has basically carried us through the second half of the season. (it doesnt mean we should dress up the performance from players and management alike to be anything other than what it was though either.)

Genuinely shocked by the reactions on here.

it's villa talk, it will always be negative

And yet you chose to persist in coming on here week in week out. Despite what you are saying be complete and utterly untrue.

For those that are genuinely "shocked" maybe we should evaluate who we have just beaten and then put it in to context. This is a Pompey team that is already relegated, avoiding injury and suspension because of the Cup final and today missing a lot of key players due to injury. Add to that a very young kid at LB making his debut and a CF who is only a few weeks younger than God.

Pompey are poor, weak and were there for the taking big style. At times we struggled to get that win, but win we did so we should be thankful for that. Unlike our near neighbours though, I suspect that the need for an open topped bus trip to celebrate will not be required. If the fat lady singing scenario hasn't happened and we still believe we can get that elusive 4th spot, then a lot of the points raised as "negative" (when in reality they are just realistic observations from fans) need to be addressed, because if they don't then you may as well put Lisa Rile and Michelle McManus down as the next act on stage

discussing and debating these "negative" points is not a bad thing, burying your head in the sand though is

**** the performance, we got the three points we were looking for. Some good bits, some bad bits. A little too laid back in parts but we did dominate the game and fully deserved to win, a bigger margin would have been nice but a win is a win.

come on now drat - whats with all the balanced reasoning and common sense???

also, if there is more than one person complaining that it is all negative on villa talk, then surely it is not all negative is it? you are a collective of people who share the same "positive" view of things - even if it appears to be a minority one.

Twas like the first freindly back after the summer break, players literally ambling around. Fortunately we dominated the game and really should have scored about 4 or 5. Ref was shockinglg bad but i guess we get used to it. Worryingly the players are dead on thier feet and the problem is only going to get worse. Blues at home next weekend is going to be a nightmare i feel.. high intensity, full blooded football. I dont think the current starting eleven are up to it.

Friedel 8

Warnock 5 - Some shocking passing.

Collins 5

Dunne 7

Cuellar 7

Young 7

Milner 8 - Classy but knackered.

Petrov 7

Downing 5 - Wants to play for england but cant cross or do his man ? :/

Carew 7 - Our top goal scorer. But lets sell him, yes?? :/

Gabby 5

Hesky - Assist!