• Mark Hughes
    • Gareth Southgate
    • Tony Mowbray
    • Sven
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Martin Laursen
    • Ruud Gullit
    • Ron Atkinson one last crack!

this sort of thread, whatever the defeat today, is the MOST EMBARRASING part of today.

It's this thread's existence that makes me ashamed to be a villa fan today, not the players' performance.

Shameful, knee-jerk and utterly ridiculous.

Fans of other clubs reading our board will be laughing at you.

Ridiculous.

Wise words indeed

This

Yeah, I'm so embarrassed that we're thinking ahead that I can barely show my face in public for the shame.

Is this thinking ahead though or just thinking about today?

We're in the midst of another very decent season and it's likely that provided we don't force him out that MON will be our manager for the next couple of seasons at the very least, quite probably for longer still.

In fact, if we're looking ahead I think there's a fair likelihood that provided there are no total disasters O'Neill will be here until Lerner goes or until he retires.

And do you think we will ever make 4th or win anything in that time? Because personally, I don't. I think MONs style of play is just to limited in todays football. Maybe I need to lower my expectations and except that 6th is as good as it gets, with a couple of cup runs thrown in - I shall work on it and then maybe I can join the contented Villa fans that find threads like this embarrassing.

Nobody is denying that today is a bad day, and that MON has some work still to do (more expansive tactics, bigger / stronger squad to rotate for a start) but some of the reactions on here are hysterical, and the expectations of a lot of people when you look at who is above us in the table are far too high. Sorry if you lack perspective at the current time - but most clubs would love the players we currently have, and would love MON as their manager. We have found our level in modern day football, simple as that, and this thread is embarrassing

Um, just because some people accept that it's a logn road doesn't mean they're contented with 6th. It just means they understand that it isn't easy and we're not there yet. Feet on the round, realistic thinking.

Who knows what O'Neill's side could be like in 2 years? And what he'll do with it? Perhaps the style we play now is partly born of the side we have. Certainly the side has changed and seen our style adapt as that has happened. Perhaps with a better side in a couple of years, we'd be different.

It's easy to think.

I'm thinking; I think it's reasonable to question MON's flaws and ask questions of his management style. This club's ambition is to challenge for fourth with the likes of City and Spurs. MON is stubborn, he won't change his style and that is hampering our chances dearly. Today was embarrassing, but it wasn't just today I started to lose faith in his management.

Um, just because some people accept that it's a logn road doesn't mean they're contented with 6th. It just means they understand that it isn't easy and we're not there yet. Feet on the round, realistic thinking.

Who knows what O'Neill's side could be like in 2 years? And what he'll do with it? Perhaps the style we play now is partly born of the side we have. Certainly the side has changed and seen our style adapt as that has happened. Perhaps with a better side in a couple of years, we'd be different.

It's easy to think.

He played the same tactics with Celtic and Leicster, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

It's easy to think.

He played the same tactics with Celtic and Leicster, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Ultimitely, I think we'll be a different prospect to those, under him, in the end. Assuming he stays long enough.

This site is a joke. Some of you need a reality check.

This is the reason I hardly ever post here.

1656 posts suggest otherwise

In nearly three years, a lot of which are in off-topic.

You need a reality check.

Why post that then?

Why is anyone posting such **** utter shit in this thread?

If Glaston reads this, he has reason to call Villa smalltime. Anyone does. This thread is gash.

Questioning the management is something I do on a regular basis but I also happen to believe we are where we are, we should be finishing 7th so although it isn't improvement as such, I understand it's a difficult league and don't expect us to finish 4th.

The season isn't over quite yet. We're 7 points behind Tottenham yet with them playing Sunderland away, Arsenal, Chelsea, United then it's hardly unthinkable that in 4 games we could be l1/2 points behind, level or heck even above them.

A thrashing is hopefully exactly what this team needed.

Tony Mowbray :D

I'd rather have Tony Blackburn !

Seriously there are dozens more - personally I'd like one of Van Basten , Martin Jol (yes I know he is at Ajax but you never know) , or someone like that.

Surely someone must be able to come up with a list of these types that are either out of work, or are national managers with countries from the lower teir (like when Wenger was at Japan, Hiddink at Saudi etc..)

It's not just this site, it's the human race. Have had a spurt of posting today for the first time in ages but reading posts from angry people who have no perspective, no patience, and only a tentative grip on the reality of the modern world gets very boring after a while

Why post that then?

If Glaston reads this, he has reason to call Villa smalltime. Anyone does. This thread is gash.

Nothing wrong with debating the Villa, we all share the same passion and sometimes individuals view things differently.

Questioning the management is something I do on a regular basis but I also happen to believe we are where we are, we should be finishing 7th so although it isn't improvement as such, I understand it's a difficult league and don't expect us to finish 4th.

The season isn't over quite yet. We're 7 points behind Tottenham yet with them playing Sunderland away, Arsenal, Chelsea, United then it's hardly unthinkable that in 4 games we could be l1/2 points behind, level or heck even above them.

A thrashing is hopefully exactly what this team needed.

I truly hope you are correct, but I think Spurs could call it a day now and still finish above us in the league. I just can't see where we are going to get the 8 points we need in order to get above their current total.

Why post that then?

Oh god get a grip of yourself man! The title of the thread is 'if he does go' not 'sack him now'. The question is a valid one. To not consider what options are out there, in the event of MON leaving the club, is stupidity.