• Gareth Southgate
    • Tony Mowbray
    • Sven
    • Kevin Keegan
    • Martin Laursen
    • Ruud Gullit
    • Ron Atkinson one last crack!

All of this frustration at potentially finishing behind:

ARSENAL, CHELSEA, MAN UNITED, SPURS, LIVERPOOL, MAN CITY.

Which of those team, exactly, do we think we really 'should' be finishing above, and why?

Look at their investment and their players. Come on, one of you TELL ME who we should be finishing above and why I should be so enraged at our side, outside of today's result?

youre dead right

sure we're a nothing club

8th is our level and we should never even consider the possibility of ever finishing higher again, coz we're only aston villa

Just as I thought. No answer to my question. I'm waiting...name the side.

considering the position we found ourselves in a few short weeks ago? we could reasonably have expected to finish above liverpool, spurs and city

Which of those team, exactly, do we think we really 'should' be finishing above, and why?

Look at their investment and their players. Come on, one of you TELL ME who we should be finishing above and why I should be so enraged at our side, outside of today's result?

youre dead right

8th is our level and we should never even consider the possibility of ever finishing higher again, coz we're only aston villa

I hate posts like this. Why can't you just accept that every manager is equal and we have to stick to our allocated position in the league table?

Um, just because some people accept that it's a logn road doesn't mean they're contented with 6th. It just means they understand that it isn't easy and we're not there yet. Feet on the round, realistic thinking.

Who knows what O'Neill's side could be like in 2 years? And what he'll do with it? Perhaps the style we play now is partly born of the side we have. Certainly the side has changed and seen our style adapt as that has happened. Perhaps with a better side in a couple of years, we'd be different.

It's easy to think.

youre dead right

I hate posts like this. Why can't you just accept that every manager is equal and we have to stick to our allocated position in the league table?

no no

not every manager is equal

we've got a really really really shit squad with the worst players in the world, and its only the fact that we have the best manager ever born that we find ourselves where we are. the rest are shite tho, theyd all get us relegated and probably ride our girlfriends

This will come as a surprise to some on this board,when we score a goal do you have a "knee jerk" reaction to that goal or do you sit and think about it and celebrate at some later point in the game?What do you expect real fans of Villa to do after getting beat this badly?

David Moyes - but I doubt he would leave Everton for us.

and then we'd be.....hmm, where are everton in the table? 7th? Isn't that what all of the worry is about?

Just look at how much he has spent compared to MON. Imagine what he could do with some decent cash! And not to mention, he got everton into the top 4 a few years ago.

I am sick of this "if you want MON to go you are an embarrassment" crap.

Listen, some on here like him and want him to stay.

Personally, I think he is the most over-rated manager of the last 10 yrs and I will be honest, I couldn't give a toss if he walked tomorrow.

That dont make me a bad fan - I still went to every single game in the bad days of the latter O'Leary reign - and I will still go who-ever is the manager MON or otherwise.

But face it - some people on here think he isn't good enough to be our manager. The same as (befoer today) Chelsea fans want Ancelotti out and Mourinho to come back, when we were giving Arsneal a run before doing our usual dying squad, Arsenal fans were questioning Wenger, and Man City fans (majority) dont think Mancini is the answer.

It isnt embarrassing it is wanting the best for your club.

And me - I dont think MON is the best - so get over it !

I don't beleive we could get much better without taking a big gamble, However I do beleive MON has taken us as far as he can with his limited tactics.

I agree, I think we have reached our peak under MON. I accept that we don't have the resources of some clubs and that any change is always a gamble... but also the thought of watching MONs dire football for another season is currently depressing me.

youre dead right

My point is this:

I believe (and respect your right to disagree) that many fans have expectations that are not realistic and are therefore more frustrated than they should be.

The reason for this is that in terms of investment and quality of players, the teams currently above us are better. On that basis, we are we should be in the league and can hope, but not EXPECT to be higher.

It's not about not dreaming of achieving things. It's just that at a time when some people are ready to throw out a manager for only getting us to this position, it's worth considering why you think there's almost a 'right' for us to be doing more than we are.

We're 6th, we've had 2 great cup runs. That is NOT below where we should be given the players we have or the money we've spent.

That's just my opinion. Of course I want us to be up with Spurs, but they have BETTER PLAYERS.

It's not the point though Spaceman. Obviously we want to finish higher and we can finish higher. But to throw a strop and simply expect to finish above these teams is silly.

I've been saying since the early part of last season that I can't see an improvement in the way we play. We never look like being in control of a game and it really shouldn't be that way at this stage.

Still, I have said all along that I'm happy for O'Neill to show us he just needs one more season to improve that way we play, particularly against lesser teams.

Um, just because some people accept that it's a logn road doesn't mean they're contented with 6th. It just means they understand that it isn't easy and we're not there yet. Feet on the round, realistic thinking.

Who knows what O'Neill's side could be like in 2 years? And what he'll do with it? Perhaps the style we play now is partly born of the side we have. Certainly the side has changed and seen our style adapt as that has happened. Perhaps with a better side in a couple of years, we'd be different.

It's easy to think.

It is easy to think, Chindie. Sadly I think that MON is too limited in his approach to the game, tactics and transfers and to stubborn in personality to make any ground breaking changes. We will continue to be a solid team playing a solid one dimensional style with solid dependable 7 out of 10 type players. MON, if the past couple of seasons are anything to go on, does not have the imagination to have us doing otherwise.