Red Dead Redemption

PompeyVillan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would I be able to stroll into a branch of Game / Gamestation etc and grab a copy of this or is it uber popular and sold out everywhere?

Yep, you'll get a copy easy now. I only heard shops selling out of the PS3 version. Try HMV if you can, they may still be giving away 800 MS Pts free, handy with the MW2 map pack 2 out next Thursday.

Would I be able to stroll into a branch of Game / Gamestation etc and grab a copy of this or is it uber popular and sold out everywhere?

Hard to say really. The past few days, the game has been rarer than rocking horse shit in shops and sold out almost everywhere. However, new stocks could also be arriving.

This post has been no help whatsoever.

If you live in civilisation I think you'll be able to get a copy.

If you live somewhere like, say, Aberystwyth, then you'll find Game sold out in 20 minutes and won't get a restock till past the next ice age.

In Brum though, somewhere'll have it.

Hard to say really. The past few days, the game has been rarer than rocking horse shit in shops and sold out almost everywhere. However, new stocks could also be arriving.

This post has been no help whatsoever.

Loads of copies in HMV and Game over here all week. HMV even had some limited edition copies left.

Probably something to do with the lack of people with electrickery over here.

can someone help me with the controls for duelling on the 360 version?

I missed the on screen instructions, and im still not certain what every button does during the mexican standoff? Anyhelp?

Sure. These are 360 instructions but they apply to PS3 too.

First things first, to win a duel, you need to take notice of the two bars on the right hand side of the screen. The objective is to fill your bar more than your opponent can fill his before the timer runs out (the timer being the dead eye slo-mo ticking down).

When you are told to draw, do so with the left trigger (L2 on PS3 I think). It is important to not draw before you are told or you will lose.

You fill your bar by painting where you want your bullets to go with the on-screen reticle, placing shots by pressing the right bumper or right trigger (R1 or R2 on PS3 respectively) as they both do the same thing. The reticle strobes from red to white as time passes - you want to be painting your shots when the reticle is white as this represents a more accurate shot and thus fills you bar more (you may notice the reticle arrows are closer to each other when they are white too). As the reticle strobes at a constant rate, you can follow its rhythm to always paint white shots.

Your opponent will be doing the same to fill his own bar up during the dead eye countdown. Once the timer is up, the actual firing of the guns will take place automatically with the victor being the one who had their bar filled the most.

You can end a duel instantly by shooting your opponents gun out of his hand with a well placed, white reticle shot to his hand/gun. You can also shoot their hats off. Also, the later you draw your gun after you're told to do so, the less the reticle will strobe during the round giving you an easier time of landing more accurate shots - the trade off obviously being you have less time to do so.

First things first, to win a duel, you need to take notice of the two bars on the right hand side of the screen. The objective is to fill your bar more than your opponent can fill his before the timer runs out (the timer being the dead eye slo-mo ticking down).

When you are told to draw, do so with the left trigger (L2 on PS3 I think). It is important to not draw before you are told or you will lose.

You fill your bar by painting where you want your bullets to go with the on-screen reticle, placing shots by pressing the right bumper or right trigger (R1 or R2 on PS3 respectively) as they both do the same thing. The reticle strobes from red to white as time passes - you want to be painting your shots when the reticle is white as this represents a more accurate shot and thus fills you bar more (you may notice the reticle arrows are closer to each other when they are white too). As the reticle strobes at a constant rate, you can follow its rhythm to always paint white shots.

Your opponent will be doing the same to fill his own bar up during the dead eye countdown. Once the timer is up, the actual firing of the guns will take place automatically with the victor being the one who had their bar filled the most.

You can end a duel instantly by shooting your opponents gun out of his hand with a well placed, white reticle shot to his hand/gun. You can also shoot their hats off. Also, the later you draw your gun after you're told to do so, the less the reticle will strobe during the round giving you an easier time of landing more accurate shots - the trade off obviously being you have less time to do so.

WTF????

I've done about a dozen duels and each time all I do is hit the left trigger when it says draw and tap a couple of times for shots to the chest and a couple of times to the head for good measure. Bang, bang, bang, enemy goes down. I thought that was all there is to it?

WTF????

I've done about a dozen duels and each time all I do is hit the left trigger when it says draw and tap a couple of times for shots to the chest and a couple of times to the head for good measure. Bang, bang, bang, enemy goes down. I thought that was all there is to it?

Afraid not. There's a point in the game where an alarming amount of players start losing duels and don't know why. The reason is that duelling has a difficulty curve that the tutorial does a shit job of making the player aware of - opponents get tougher as the game goes on.

You don't have to be all that accurate at all in order to beat opponents early on. Pretty much placing all your shots without paying attention to the reticle's colour will see you win. The reason why you're winning is because your opponent is so inaccurate, even after placing all of their shots, they've very rarely filled their own bar all that much. In essence, early duels are free kills for the player.

Then players start getting their arse kicked by opponents who can fill their bars very well indeed but because the game failed to put aside adequate time to properly explain the duel system (instead rushing the player through it), it's confusing as hell to unaware players and has been catching lots of people out.

Only played this for an hour or two, but just, like.....wow.

I did send you an invite to a Free Roam session last night Mart, but I assumed you were too engrossed in the first couple of hours of single player. :)

Only played this for an hour or two, but just, like.....wow.

I did send you an invite to a Free Roam session last night Mart, but I assumed you were too engrossed in the first couple of hours of single player. :)

I did join in for a bit Si, but hadn't really got to grips with the single player yet, so wasn't really sure what was going on!

I'm going to hammer the single player this weekend, as I spent most of the two hours last night just riiding around looking at the scenery!

Right, I have got the afternoon to myself. I decided to go and pick the game up. It's selling quite well, isnt it? Game and Gamestation are both completely sold out (I know they carry the bare minimum of stock so they can clean up on selling used copies a couple of weeks after a game is released) and HMV is sold out of the 360 version. I couldnt be arsed to go to one of the supermarkets so I got the PS3 version from HMV. Let's hope it is as good as everybody says!

It's amazing. I haven't had much of a go on it yet, but already it just feels superb. Controlling the horses is just really intuitive, and they look great.

Having spent quite a bit of time on the multiplayer over the last couple of days (mostly Free Roam challenges with a posse) I think it's worth picking up just for that. Add the fantastic single player into that and you've got GOTY material.

Having spent quite a bit of time on the multiplayer over the last couple of days (mostly Free Roam challenges with a posse) I think it's worth picking up just for that. Add the fantastic single player into that and you've got GOTY material.
Really? I think it's the other way round, an excellent single player game backed up by a good multiplayer. I don't think the online is quite up to the standards of single player, not to say the online is bad, just the single player is amazing.

Â