News story of the day

BOF

l

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was wondering if this would be mentioned here. It's just so utterly shocking, one of those stories that just whacks your faith in humanity with a giant baseball bat. 

The depravity is just beyond belief. One of his victims was 9 years old, I just cannot fathom what kind of hell some of the relatives must be going through. 

So shocking that he got away with it for so long.  One of the saddest things I've heard for a long time. 

I’d kill someone who did that to my child without giving it a moments hesitation.

5 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Sark Yves Amadeus Kennedy,  the son of Nigel Kennedy, has been jailed for 33 months for “middle level cocaine dealing”.

image.png.6013949deadb14dd03c552c6885255b3.png

Pfff. Middle level. Typical Villa.

• Haha 1

On 03/11/2021 at 16:45, AlwaysAVFC said:

Arrest after man in Gosport spotted 'having sex with dog at home with curtains open'

AN ARREST has been made after horrified members of the public saw a man having sex with a dog.

The News Portsmouth.co.uk

Doggy style I presume? 

• Haha 1

On 01/11/2021 at 20:50, Genie said:

I read that earlier, you’d be absolutely lost for words if having found someone in your house who said they bought it all fair and square and the police aren’t interested.

Drive 33 in a 30 zone and they’ll be all over it like a rash.

Apparently it sold for well under the true value (sold for £130k, was worth c£100k more by all accounts). Everyone must be in on it - the 'innocent buyer', both sets of solicitors and probably the builder as well. 

Love to see how it plays out. Hope it gets sorted. The new buyer can't claim ignorance due to the price. Was it advertised on rightmove? Why didn't the solicitors question the price? Massive scam from everyone. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

Jebus, you don't live here, you have no excuses for spotting something on the Mersey Clickbait Echo.

Not looked at it but can I guess that it has nothing to do with Liverpool?

I can't tell . . . just says he was 'a student' 'in Wetherspoons', dunno if it was on Merseyside.

Newspapers as was, they’ve really struggled with how to adapt to the modern world.

Their websites are almost always unusable. Their twitter accounts are usually full of bottom of the range click bait shit that turns out to be a month old and from a non catchment area.

It’s fascinating to see how a whole industry, based on communicating information, has fallen in to such a death spiral.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Newspapers as was, they’ve really struggled with how to adapt to the modern world.

Their websites are almost always unusable. Their twitter accounts are usually full of bottom of the range click bait shit that turns out to be a month old and from a non catchment area.

It’s fascinating to see how a whole industry, based on communicating information, has fallen in to such a death spiral.

I'm probably an exception, but I pay for 2 newspaper websites (indie & grauniad), and it doesn't half make them easier to use. Fewer nagging ads and stuff. The indie one has an app, and the guardian does too, which I tend to use rather than the website versions and the apps are decent. No problem at all. I might stop wit the Indie as it' gone a bit too w word, I guess to cater for an American or student audience.

I've got a subscription to... The Evening STandard. The Independent, The Guardian, The Express, The Mirror, The Star, The Western Mail, The Metro, The Express, The Mirror, The Observer, The People and Wales on Sunday

All for less than a tenner a month

Then there's all the magazines that come with that too,  I currently read Record Collector, The Idler, Uncut, Mojo, Electronic Sound, Viz, Under The Radar and wired with hundreds more I could shoose from, including ones in German and French and lots of US ones too

Get a Readly account.

Mike Mooney posted about it a good while back and I had a look just for the magazines and it saved me a foirtune, the Newspapers have been added more recently. I also think Alex has a subscription now too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yep, i'm a convert to Readly. My current reading covers such cutting edge topics as narrowboats, classic land rovers and commercial aircraft. 

• 3 weeks later...

Praise the lord!

The OPEC of Maple Syrup Taps Its Stockpile to Make Sure Your Pancakes Are Covered

Quebec producers dip into strategic reserve after year’s harvest falls shortFear not, pancake lovers. The OPEC of maple syrup plans to dip into its sticky stockpile to cover a shortfall of the breakfast staple.
The organization, Quebec Maple Syrup Producers, said it is draining nearly 50 million pounds of syrup from barrels in its strategic reserve, about half its stockpile and the most since 2008. The amount being released is equal to more than a third of this year’s harvest in the French-speaking Canadian province, the world’s top supplier. Output plunged 24% this year following a warmer and shorter spring harvest as overseas demand soared, according to the group.
“We need to produce more maple syrup,” spokeswoman Helene Normandin said in a phone interview. “The reserve is there to make sure that we are always able to sell and offer this product.”
Quebec accounts for more than 70% of world maple syrup production and its supply is governed by a kind of government-sanctioned cartel. Quebec Maple Syrup Producers sets bulk prices, caps production and sends unsold output to a warehouse in Laurierville, Quebec, allowing the agency a level of market control rivaling the grip the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries has on oil markets.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-19/maple-syrup-cartel-taps-stockpile-to-ensure-your-pancakes-are-covered

Bomb Squad are called to A&E where patient turned up with two-inch-wide WWII shell lodged in his rectum which got there when he 'slipped and fell on it during a clear-out'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10270067/Man-seeks-medical-help-artillery-shell-lodged-rectum.html

We've all been there...

• Haha 2

Â