Portal 2

villa89

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Time for a bump I think. Portal 2 is due out at the start of April, and as Portal was The_Rev's favourite game of all time (probably) then you can understand why I have been avoiding pretty much all preview footage of the game because lets face it, I'm buying this on day one anyway.

Still, what version will be the best? I'm fortunate enough to have a PC, a 360 and a PS3 and I assumed it would be a no brainer like the original game where the best version by a country mile would be the PC version. Something I read today has made me think that the version to purchase might actually be the... PS3!

PORTAL 2 PLAYSTATION 3 STEAM FEATURES REVEALED

January 18, 2011 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the Steam features shipping with the PlayStation 3 (PS3) version of Portal 2.

Marking the debut of Steam functioning on any next generation console, the features shipping in the PS3 version of Portal 2 include cross platform play (PC/Mac vs. PS3) for multiplayer games, persistent cloud-based storage of PS3 saved games, and cross platform chat (PC/Mac and PS3).

In addition, those who purchase Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 may unlock a Steam Play (PC & Mac) copy of Portal 2 at no additional cost by linking their PSN and Steam accounts.

"We made a promise to gamers at E3 that Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 would be the best console version of the product," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "Working together with Sony we have identified a set of features we believe are very compelling to gamers. We hope to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases."

"We designed the Portal 2 PS3 experience to be very straightforward for gamers," said Josh Weier, project lead on Portal 2 at Valve. "PS3 gamers will be able to simply drop the Blu-Ray disc in the PS3, link to their Steam account from inside the game, and all their Steam friends (on PC and Mac) will be visible and accessible for chat and game invites."

These features are made possible thru the use of Steam, Valve's platform for the delivery and management of games and digital content.

Portal 2 is due for release on the PlayStation 3, PC, Mac and Xbox 360 this April.

For more information, please visit www.thinkingwithportals.com

So if I buy the PS3 version I get the PC version for free? Also I can play with people who have a PS3 from my PC? **** knows what kind of deal Sony have done with Valve to make this happen, but I like it! 8)

Good news. Has there been any mention of it's retail price? Just wondering if it's a lower price which would indicate a game similar in size ie. quite small like the first game, or is this one going to be much bigger. I know it has the multi, but not sure if that would warrant paying £35 if the single player is only as long as the first game. Even so, I'll certainly play it at some point, the first game was a doozy

• 2 months later...

I didn't even know this was due out.

I think I've just done a sex wee.

The first one was incredible. Despite it's short length, it's one of the best games I've ever played.

The surprise will probably be 'We've **** off Episode 3, we're going to just make Half-Life 3 instead... AND IT'S OUT NEXT YEAR!'.

If they stick CS on the side I would be happy with that decision.

Maybe they will have a CS announcement...maybe I am living in hope...

I can't see them ever touching CS again now that TF2 is their flagship FPS game.

I can't see them ever touching CS again now that TF2 is their flagship FPS game.

I really hope they do stick with it.

Head of Valve...forget his name, he did an interview last year saying that CS is on again but they are trying to work out the format to make it worthwhile, add or or stand alone game.

Also went on about TF2 being the experimental side to their future development of games and how it let them gain perspective over gamers reactions.

I have to say I stopped playing TF2 when I got a crappy mouse but its a great concept, CS cant really be dead there is just too much money in it; like Duke Nukem, where there is a market there is a game.

Portal for example, just a fun in house game, became played by others, that became a beta, then it was released for free, tacked onto the Orange Box now we have Portal 2. Yey!

• 2 weeks later...

Valve are currently, seemingly, messing around a lot with a so called 'ARG', or Alternate Reality Game.

This goes across a load of Steam titles that they've recently patched with numerous puzzles and whatnot. It's all really complex and includes, in some cases, masses of new properties hidden in games in complex manners. The puzzles and clues pop up all the over the place, even in actual real life places, and seems to just keep going.

It seems to have started on April Fools so could all be a complex gag, but it really does seem to be a lot of effort for nothing. Possibly leading towards a hint to what their big secret with Portal is?

(I would add that any hope of anything particularly big is a bit ambitious, since theres a few out there hoping for the Portal release to be a mask for another big, perhaps Half Life related, release. If that was to be the case, that would be the biggest ever hush hush job in the entertainment world full stop. But hey, I hope this ARG is leading to something cool coming with Portal 2).

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out the Valve ARG was leading to a way of unlocking the game on Steam early. The 'Potato Sack' games, a collection on steam that were the source of the ARG, are being monitored by Valve and the more they are played, the earlier the game may be released for PC Steam account holders.

Â