Portal 2

villa89

At the conveyor belt puzzle just before Wheatley's chamber (the one with the mangler at the end), when Wheatley offers you the option of just giving up and killing yourself, save the game and take up that option. :D

I am taking this quite slowly for some reason. I do think the funniest think I have ever seen in a videogame has just happened though. .:lol:

I put a good couple of hours into it last night.

First reaction was it somehow wasn't as good as Portal. But as it's got going I've really enjoyed it. It has the typical little touches that Valve always have great success with, little things with Wheatley, the sarcy tone of your adversary at times. I've genuinely laughed a couple of times and I'm barely into it. HAd a couple of moments of 'Portal mental block' where I've pretty much forgotten some of the potential options open to me at any time and then struggled to finish a test until it's clicked again that 'Oh I can do that...'.

I like it.

The one annoyance, as a 360 player (I've no idea if other systems are the same) is it loads more often than pretty much any game I can remember in recent memory. It's loading after every test, for a minute or so. For some reason that sticks out to me more with this than any other title.

Finished the single player last night. Stunning is the only word for it. Loved the ending although the credits song was not quite up to par with 'still alive'.

I clocked in at around 10 hours in all so im more than happy, not sure if im gonna be able to do the co-op as my mates have got it on 360 and my pc mate doesnt like it :(

Still, ive paid more for shorter games before so i dont mind so much about trading it in once ive gone through it again and got a few more trophies.

The big disappointment for me though was the lack of a solid connection to another well known game universe, we got a few tidbits and secret easter egg style references but ill have to (dry) dock a few points for that.

All in all, loved the story, atmosphere and gameplay. Best game of this gen so far and ive only really completed 50% of it.

9.5/10

The portal gun MUST be making an apperance in Episode three. Imagine what valve could do with it in a FPS, im hoping that episode three has been delayed for this very reason. Probably not though :(

You would think so, especially considering johnsons speech where he says about the competition with black mesa for the 'contract' and about the competition stealing apertures ideas and technology. Makes sense.

The portal gun MUST be making an apperance in Episode three. Imagine what valve could do with it in a FPS, im hoping that episode three has been delayed for this very reason. Probably not though :(

You would think so, especially considering johnsons speech where he says about the competition with black mesa for the 'contract' and about the competition stealing apertures ideas and technology. Makes sense.

We can but hope.

I think I'm right near the end, possibly got an hour of gameplay left max I think.

I've enjoyed it, obviously, and asides from a 3 or 4 moments I've breezed through it and enjoyed it. I don't think, so far at least, it quite stands upto the originial game, despite having honed and adapted the gameplay mechanics and fleshed itself out. Perhaps thats too hard of an act to live upto, the original verged on perfect.

It's still probably one of the best games I've played however.

The couple of moments I was stumped by for a while I have some issue with - they, to me, were caused less by the puzzle itself but more by it being slightly unclear of the options. Sometimes the game is a little too blank for me, if that makes sense.

But more often than not it verges on perfect. The satisfaction I got from completing one of the the tests,using 2 of the gels, is something I don't think has many equals in the games world. It wasn't even a hard test, but it just flowed superbly.

Finished it.

I think I stick by saying it's really, really, really good, but it's not quite got the charm of the first. Or perhaps the novelty might be a better word.

I wasn't as sold on the ending as a few people have been. It's pretty good, but a few people have been going on like it's one of the best endings ever.

Still, I've enjoyed it. Can't wait to get cracking on the co-op.

Just finished it, which I am quite pleased with considering I have been working 10 hour days every single day since I bought the game.

Excellent game, but I did feel that chapter 8 "the itch" was noticeably weaker than the rest of the game. The puzzles were a bit bland and samey and the humour just wasnt there. It was almost as if they crowbarred some exposition in just so they could set up the ending. The genius of the first game was simply that you were a lab rat and your only motivation to complete the chambers is the cake at the end of it. Obviously they couldnt do that again but the whole "twist" wasnt very good.

That said, the first few hours were brilliant, Stephen Merchant was great in every bit except for "the itch" and the Cave Johnson sections with the blue and orange gels were amazing. Really enjoyed the game. Will it hold the place in my heart that the first Portal did? Probably not, but the first time is always the sweetest isnt it?

I think I stick by saying it's really, really, really good, but it's not quite got the charm of the first. Or perhaps the novelty might be a better word.

I'd agree with this. I found it quite easy to be honest. I took my time and had it done in 7 hours. only got stuck on 16/19 and even then it wasn't for very long. Also the last boss fight was super easy did it first time without any hassle. I could have done with some added difficulty or making the game longer. It's also a shame that there's 4 hours of co-op content that I can't play cos I have no friends.

On the positive side, the one thing that valve do better than anyone else was still there, atmosphere. Just like in half life, your not some guy with a mouse playing a game, you ARE Chell. The game sucks you in and makes you not want to stop. "Just one more chamber and then I'll get something to eat" he said, 14 chambers ago. The story was decent and the voice acting was solid. The new features, different gels, tractor beams and light bridges where brilliant additions. Looking forward to the presumably free DLC (PC version).

Certainly. It's effectively a puzzle game hidden in a good narrative and FPS view point. The game presents you with problems and a simple series of 'rules' (for want of a better word) to overcome them. It's not difficult, sometimes you may sit there for a moment and have to logically think through what is being asked of you, but usually it becomes clear quickly. Your usual aim is simply 'Get the door open and get to the door', and the general extent of the puzzles is activating the door by manipulating portals to move a box onto a switch, or line up a lazer onto a receiver, etc etc. The game is surpremely good at getting you into a mindset of the 'rules' and the equipment it gives you to solve things. It's often just a case of being methodical, and theres nothing to really threaten you in the game, the only 'enemies' are quite comical turrets, and they are used as another part of a puzzle rather than as threat.

I really think you should give it a try, it's truly a joy of a game. Not as good as the first one, but a longer and more developed experience thats still better than 95% of the games on the market.

The only time I could see someone who isn't someone who plays a lot of games getting a bit stuck are a couple of areas where your aim changes from completing puzzle rooms, to traversing areas. These suffer from sometimes not making it quite clear enough what you need to do or how you might do what you need to - there were a couple of these moments that got me, but when you see the solution you instantly think 'Aaah yeah! That makes perfect sense!'. And these are a comparitively small part of the game that are just intended to mix up the puzzle rooms and give the narrative a bit more room to flesh itself out.

I'm definitely gonna give it a go. I gave Uncharted 2 a go, well I still am though I haven't been back in a while. I thought that was cool, give or take bits of non stop shooting which I'm not so interested in. Sounds like Portal 2 will be an even better experience based on that at least!

It'll be well worth your while.

If you want an example of one of the moments that I got stuck on, this is an example, from one of the areas which your traversing rather than solving straight puzzles.

You're in a big open space, and have gone up an elevator, but at the top of the elevator theres nowhere for you to go. You can see the exit door, but you can't portal over to it (you have a gun that create portals between places provided the surface is the right type of surface, which the game makes very obvious). You can portal over to another area across from the door, and between them theres a drop that you can't jump over. On this area there is a slanted piece of wall you can place a portal on. Bingo, thats the clue. You place a portal on the slanted wall, and the connecting portal on the floor underneath the elevator, and fall from the top through the portal, out of the slanted wall portal, and because of your fall you're going really quickly which lets you fling yourself to the door and onwards.

Â