Phil Dowd Thread (Merged)

PompeyVillan

"Football is all ifs and buts"

Last time I checked Football is about scoring goals. Fact is we should have been playing against 10 Man U men instead of 11, and I don't know about you but I'd rather play Man U with a man advantage any day.

I know Reading are not Man U, but who here seriously at half-time expected that us to win 4-2?

This Villa side of ours showed against Reading that they are capable of anything, and we have shown this season we can beat anyone in the Premier League, including Man U at Old Trafford.

And who's to say Fergie wouldn't have taken Owen of for a defender?

Thanks to Dowd, we'll never know...

Cheers,

PriceyDownunder

Fine , but I didn't see Dowd fumbling on the ball for 10 seconds , giving Man U the ball to put in the net. And I didn't see him miss chances from 3 yards.

The fact was, Dowd should have sent Vidic off. But our players did not play to their ability - mainly through nerves.

Did Ceuller play well, did Colliins, did Dunne, Did Heskey, did Carew.

Sorry, but it wasn't Dowds fault we lost. We choked and it was probably understandable and expected. However, I think the experience will help us today, and in 4 and 8 weeks time.

I think there is a danger of just looking at that one incident & if it was just that one incident i would agree with you.

BUT!!

The fact is Villa were doing fantastically well went 1-0 up & were causing all sorts of problems for Utd. It could have been even better had Vidic gone as he obviously should have done but still Villa were doing great even after that incident & Goal.

What really damaged us for me was the whole string of one sided decisions that then followed. Every time a Villa player made a tackle he was yellow carded & then they had to observe identical challenges going against them with no cards issued. THAT IS WHAT KNACKERED US!!!

You could physically see it rattled our players especially the defenders who were by then nearly all yellow carded!

That is when mistakes started to happen one of which of course led to the equaliser which then turned the game. The confidence went & suddenly we lost our threat... Against a team of Man Utd's calibre that is all it takes... Game over & no cup..

ALL DUE TO DODGY OFFICIATING!!

So yes if it was just the Vidic incident then fine .... move on etc etc but what happened afterwards was just as disgraceful & if anything even worse. That was the real cause of us losing our initial momentum.

I mean how on earth were our players supposed to match United's commitment when we were getting booked for it & they were not?

Were they supposed to carry on & finish up with 8 players on the pitch?

So of course it was the reason for Utd "appearing" to have the edge over us & "out playing" us when in fact the Villa players were probably just too afraid to get in their faces anymore for fear that that idiot of a ref would send them off. Let's be realistic that is part of what you need to do to beat Utd just look at Leeds victory in the FA cup over them.

So No ..... For me Mr Phillip Dowd had already decided the outcome of that game before we even kicked off.. You could say Manchester United's name was on the cup all along.............................................................................................................. If it was it was Phil dowd who had engraved it on there!!!!!

Sorry, but it wasn't Dowds fault we lost. We choked and it was probably understandable and expected. However, I think the experience will help us today, and in 4 and 8 weeks time.

Sorry just seen this from the post above.

That is not the point though, the point is they should have been down to ten and then see how the match went by the rules. If they beat us then, then fair enough.

I also just dropped by this thread to say Phil Dowd is still a bottling... well you know the rest.

Fine , but I didn't see Dowd fumbling on the ball for 10 seconds , giving Man U the ball to put in the net. And I didn't see him miss chances from 3 yards.

The fact was, Dowd should have sent Vidic off. But our players did not play to their ability - mainly through nerves.

I think there is a danger of just looking at that one incident & if it was just that one incident i would agree with you.

BUT!!

The fact is Villa were doing fantastically well went 1-0 up & were causing all sorts of problems for Utd. It could have been even better had Vidic gone as he obviously should have done but still Villa were doing great even after that incident & Goal.

What really damaged us for me was the whole string of one sided decisions that then followed. Every time a Villa player made a tackle he was yellow carded & then they had to observe identical challenges going against them with no cards issued. THAT IS WHAT KNACKERED US!!!

You could physically see it rattled our players especially the defenders who were by then nearly all yellow carded!

That is when mistakes started to happen one of which of course led to the equaliser which then turned the game. The confidence went & suddenly we lost our threat... Against a team of Man Utd's calibre that is all it takes... Game over & no cup..

So yes if it was just the Vidic incident then fine .... move on etc etc but what happened afterwards was just as disgraceful & if anything even worse. That was the real cause of us losing our initial momentum.

I mean how on earth were our players supposed to match United's commitment when we were getting booked for it & they were not?

So of course it was the reason for Utd "appearing" to have the edge over us & "out playing" us when in fact the Villa players were probably just too afraid to get in their faces anymore for fear that that idiot of a ref would send them off. Let's be realistic that is part of what you need to do to beat Utd just look at Leeds victory in the FA cup over them.

So No ..... For me Mr Phillip Dowd had already decided the outcome of that game before we even kicked off.. You could say Manchester United's name was on the cup all along.............................................................................................................. If it was it was Phil dowd who had engraved it on there!!!!!

THIS***** Agree with every single word

Is exactly how myself and my mate feel, we started off brilliantly then we got nervous because each time we got booked for nothing! :cry:

BUT!!

I applaud this post, I could not agree more.

By the way, the FA Officials Association still haven't gotten back to me, all I did was ask for clarification on some rules, I didn't even mention names or events... they just knew what I was getting at and were too ashamed of themselves to admit it.

Apparently he is scheduled to referee Porstmouth v Hull and West Ham v Wolves. Also I found an amusing quote..

In your opinion who is/was the best referee?

Pierluigi Collina and Jack Taylor both different styles and both commanded respect from players and officials. From the present it had to be Graham Poll could handle any game any time and always had the answer to anything that was thrown at him. The future watch out for Mark Clattenburg and Howard Webb both will be capable of refereeing a World Cup.

So one of the referees he looks upto, Jack Taylor, also once famously bowed to the pressure of the 'bigger' team during a cup final, not just any cup final, the 1974 World Cup final. Beckenbauer accused him of being biased towards the Netherlands and so he swung the game Germanys way.

And Graham Poll speaks for himself really, a man who had to retire from refereeing because he was too incompetant, books a guy 3 times, booked another player for telling him that the guy who recieved 3 yellows already had one and should be sent off and missed a Rugby tackle that any Rugby player would be proud of, all in the same match.

Apparently he is scheduled to referee Porstmouth v Hull and West Ham v Wolves. Also I found an amusing quote..

Pierluigi Collina and Jack Taylor both different styles and both commanded respect from players and officials. From the present it had to be Graham Poll could handle any game any time and always had the answer to anything that was thrown at him. The future watch out for Mark Clattenburg and Howard Webb both will be capable of refereeing a World Cup.

So one of the referees he looks upto, Jack Taylor, also once famously bowed to the pressure of the 'bigger' team during a cup final, not just any cup final, the 1974 World Cup final. Beckenbauer accused him of being biased towards the Netherlands and so he swung the game Germanys way.

And Graham Poll speaks for himself really, a man who had to retire from refereeing because he was too incompetant, books a guy 3 times, booked another player for telling him that the guy who recieved 3 yellows already had one and should be sent off and missed a Rugby tackle that any Rugby player would be proud of, all in the same match.

Not to mention calling time just as the Aussies were putting the winning goal into the net.

Not to mention calling time just as the Aussies were putting the winning goal into the net.

You are right, all is forgiven :lol:

Â