Phil Dowd Thread (Merged)

PompeyVillan

the biggest joke will be the rescinding of Herd's red.... a sending off for nothing that changed the game and ultimately gave West Brom the 3 points.

Having Herd 'unbanned' will not soften the blow or excuse poor officiating - which includes the moronic linesman and Dowd.

Very soft and frankly bizarre sending off. Even with the benefit of me watching on TV it took the analysts about 3 reviews to even find the alleged incident- which was a 'stamp' by herd on Olsson. Looked extremely harsh and more like Herd was simply trying to pull his leg out of the tangle as Olsson fell over. The linesman was on the blindside as well so I doubt he had a clear view anyway. There was absolutely no reaction from Olsson, which would be unusual if he was stamped on, he simply got up and ran back out to the edge of the box to challenge with Dunn and Herd for the resulting high ball in. Maybe some clarification from the officials and clearer replays will help understanding the decision, but it looks like a very poor and ultimately match-changing one to me.

I would like to think we'll ask he not referees us again. iirc Bolton did it with a ref called Knight after he kept booking all their players with a gleeful abandon.

there's too much hatred towards this corrupt waste of skin for him to referee us fairly. ( not that he is capable of doing so )

He's a shit ref anyway but not going to blame him for that, more the Linesman. Dowd clearly shouldn't have been looking at the incident and if you're a referee and something off the ball happens and your assistant tells you, one player has stamped on another ...then you have to send him off. He can't say "well I didn't see it ...so I can't give it"

Linesman fault this one.

Shocking officiating today on the whole, but the red is more on the linesman's shoulders than Dowd's. The linesman has obviously got onto Dowd on the microphone and said 'I've seen a definite sending off offense, get to it', so what's Dowd supposed to do? If the imagined stamp had been closer to the ball I think you could blame Dowd for not having seen it and being able to overrule, but it was understandable that he didn't see anything - partly because Herd and Ollson were well off the ball at the time but MOSTLY because nothing bloody happened!

I know the line being trotted out is that Herd kicked out, but from the best replay available it looks like he was trying just to reclaim his leg from Ollson, who didn't appeal in any way for a foul. Not only that but the linesman took ages after that moment passed before he flagged, so it's as if he brainfarted, thought to himself 'hmm, what was that? I may have missed something there... oh **** it, let's gamble' and then bullshitted the whole thing, filling in the blanks with his imagination. Awful.

Â