Delph as a defensive CM'er?

barry'sboots

Will Delph be our holding CM'er in the long term?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Will Delph be our holding CM'er in the long term?

• Yes, he is the ideal replacement for Stan
    • The boy can play anywhere, he is that good
    • No, he is too lightweight and should play in a more advanced position

If we want defensive midfielders we should buy them, not convert attacking midfielders into them like we have with Stan (as good as I think he is) and Delph. I think he'd do ok in a defensive role but it would be wasting him somewhat. He'd also pick up a huge amount of bookings.

We didn't "convert" Stan into a defensive midfielder, he was always one! He's always played that role for Bulgaria. If anything MON converted him to a more attacking role at Celtic

c'mon is it that hard to keep to the actual topic? you know Delph, replacement of Petrov ...............i.e. not Milner & Sidwell, again we have a central midfield topic that these discussions can clearly take place in

sorry, its easy to get sucked in.

I know, I just did it too! ;-)

delph certainly likes to get stuck in, although hes still rash when tackling. not to worry, NRC was like that in his first season, racked up loads of yellows but became more disciplined in his second season. im sure delph will learn to be more responsible defensively, both in challenging for the ball and positioning.

i think he would be more suited to a box to box midfielder rather than pure DM, because im not sure he has the build to play that role. hes pretty skinny.

and i wouldnt want to waste his attacking skills anyway. he is already miles ahead of nrc and sidwell technically and in passing, and he has the skill and confidence to run at people and go round them. hopefully once he gets a run in the team he can start getting some more goals as well.

i think if we play him it has to be in a 433 at the moment as he hasnt got the defensive responsibilities down yet. but id prefer that anyway- delph, petrov and milner in midfield has a mix of energy, tackling, experience, creativity and all 3 are very good on the ball. gabby plays better upfront on his own and we are not carrying a passenger in either heskey or carew.

Delph will be a cracking player for us, my guess is we'll begin to see the best out of him nxt season, maybe back end of this season.

People just need to give him time and also to put aside his transfer fee for the time-being, he's an investment and you don't always look for an immediate return on an investment.

If we want defensive midfielders we should buy them, not convert attacking midfielders into them like we have with Stan (as good as I think he is) and Delph. I think he'd do ok in a defensive role but it would be wasting him somewhat. He'd also pick up a huge amount of bookings.

We didn't "convert" Stan into a defensive midfielder, he was always one! He's always played that role for Bulgaria. If anything MON converted him to a more attacking role at Celtic

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that.

Iniesta is an interesting comparison and pretty close IMO.

He's not in his league yet ( obviously ) but one thing they can both do which is fairly unique for a central midfielder is that they both have quick feet and can dribble past a player or 2, almost like a winger would.

I think he's definately more use to us higher up the pitch

Had to chose the middle option.

Simply because; I don't think he's too leightweight but I do think that using him as a defensive midfielder would be a waste.

He should be further forward with Milner, ripping up defences and scoring wonder goals!

Can we really know which type of player Delph is going to be yet? Personally I've only seen him play against Wigan & ManU at home. And i wouldn't want to judge him too much based on these displays. He seems to have some real quality but is certainly too lightweight to play as a defensive midfielder at the moment. Also his tackling seems a bit reckless and hazardous. This surely causes a major problem as he would pick up too many cards and give away needless free kicks in dangerous areas when playing as a DM.

An advanced midfield position would be my pick for the time being. His passing seems good and he has a decent shot too. I also like his energy and he seems to have some genuine ability with the ball. Given MONs reluctance to use him more often, I doubt we will see his full potential this season.

He doesn't have the tackling sense, and he's far too nimble, good at passing, and has a decent shot on him. He's perfectly suited for Centre or Attacking mid.

That said if you had both Delph (with a few years progress) and Milner in the middle, both would work really hard to retrieve the ball. It's probably ideal to get a Defensive Mid to replay Stan though. Let Milner/Delph off their leash.

Â