Delph as a defensive CM'er?

barry'sboots

Will Delph be our holding CM'er in the long term?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Will Delph be our holding CM'er in the long term?

• Yes, he is the ideal replacement for Stan
    • The boy can play anywhere, he is that good
    • No, he is too lightweight and should play in a more advanced position

A number of posters seem to view Delph as a long term replacement for Stan.

I just don't see it. He is quite lightweight and, to use the old Paul Scholes analogy, couldn't tackle a fish supper (probably a bit strong but gets my point across).

I see him playing much farther forward and needing a strong holding midfielder behind him. He probably necessitates a three man CM for me:

---------------- DCM -----------------

--- Jimmy ----------------- Delph ---

For me, Fabian would sit alongside the DCM and be our "quarterback" with Jimmy playing in Steven Gerard/marauding way and getting closer to the striker.

To play him and Jimmy together would be, for me, similar in style to Arsenal's two man midfield of last year - Fabregas and Denilson for example - and would be too easily overrun by the better sides?

The jury's still out for me. Not seen much of him tbh so my opinion's slightly invalid. For me he shows signs of brilliance (pass to Milner in Palace game springs to mind). He looks comfortable on the ball but i dont think hel ever be a Mr reliable, so definately a more attack minded player for me.

Doesn't seem to do a lot in games, but like is said-not seen enough and my mate whos a season ticket holder seems to rate him and hes usually pretty spot on.

He's box to box for me.

Same. Needs to learn to tackle, but listening to interviews he knows that!

I don't really go in for the 'holding' midfield thing. It's all been invented from Makelele for Real. He had to play that role because Figo, Zidane and Raul and co were never going to track back. Arrigo Sacchi's book is very interesting on this - he talks about how that is reactionary; you need to do it in certain situations, but pigeonholing someone in like that to cover for others doesn't necessarily achieve the supreme goal of tactics - to make EVERY player play above his natural level.

I don't go as far as Sacchi - 'Which player in a football team is the playmaker? Whoever has the ball' - but all the best 4-4-2 teams I've ever seen have had two central midfielders who both got forward and back; Keane and Scholes (Scholes can't tackle but he never used to stop working, and people who think Keane was defensive don't understand football); Vieira and Petit etc.

The important thing is to find midfielders who can do that. I think Delph will develop into one.

The DM role was around years before Makalele.

Anyway, I think we'll most likely see Delph become a box to box player comfortable going forward but also getting stuck in on the back foot. To be honest I think eventually we might see our CM position be a bit like Lampard and Essien, Milner being our Fwank and Delph our Essien. Not as good obviously and not quite the same but I couldn't think of a better analogy. Essien is avery complete midfielder, he does the defensive role well but is threatening going forwars too, and I think Delph will be similar for us, a bit less defensive minded but capable all the same.

He won't be a genuine DM, his skills don't suit the role, but he will be Stans replacement. Just a replacement doing a different role.

He doesn't have the positioning to play defensive midfield, and it takes a lot of discipline. I do believe he can play there once he has a a few seasons in the prem, but it won't be his best position. I see him as a box to box player that will become a deep lying playmaker in his later years.

He is probably capable of playing any type of central midfield role, which is why I see him as a box to box player.

The boy has good timing in the challenge as well as being very agressive in the tackle, but he needs to improve his technique in the tackle. Also he should learn from petrov, how to make an innocuous foul when beaten, as he always just flies in.

A number of posters seem to view Delph as a long term replacement for Stan.

I just don't see it. He is quite lightweight and, to use the old Paul Scholes analogy, couldn't tackle a fish supper (probably a bit strong but gets my point across).

I see him playing much farther forward and needing a strong holding midfielder behind him. He probably necessitates a three man CM for me:

---------------- DCM -----------------

--- Jimmy ----------------- Delph ---

For me, Fabian would sit alongside the DCM and be our "quarterback" with Jimmy playing in Steven Gerard/marauding way and getting closer to the striker.

To play him and Jimmy together would be, for me, similar in style to Arsenal's two man midfield of last year - Fabregas and Denilson for example - and would be too easily overrun by the better sides?

agree with all of that Mr Boots.

Went for option 3. I think he has more to offer going forward than he does defensively.

Him, Milly and Stan constitute a very good CM 3 IMO

Delph is going to be exceptional. He has a talent that Villa fans are going to enjoy over the next few seasons.

You don't make a player a DM just because he loves a tackle. You need the experience to read a game as a DM which he obviously hasn't got at his tender age.

He will score goals for us imo, which means that he needs the freedom to attack. When Delph is ten years older then he can drop back and kick the opposition, but not now.

Â