The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

In one journey I used 200MB with Google Maps. I'm on fully unlimited with T-Mobile and I'd want at least 1GB

Where did you go? John O Groats to Lands End via Dover? :shock:

Round London and Woking for the day. I have pre-caching turned on too though.

Tamuff, does that deal appear to have a limit on wifi usage?

Can they do that?

It's pubic WiFi hotspots set up by the carrier. You get a password or an app and you can login to hotspots they set up in built up areas. Fairly pointless these days as almost every coffee shop and McDonalds in the civilised world has free WiFi.

Gotcha. Cheers :thumb:

Hi all, apologies if this appears slightly off-topic but I thought I would ask my question on here since this is the iThread. Is it a good idea to buy used iPods? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

clicky

Apple has let loose an update to its iOS operating system that brings changes to HDR photography as well as various bug fixes for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Read this

Flashback Trojan: wake-up call for Mac users

Read more

iOS 5.1.1 does not bring any major changes to how the iPhone looks or operates. Apple states that the key updates include improved "reliability of the HDR photography option when shooting photos using the Lock Screen shortcut", as well as addressing "bugs that could prevent the new iPad from switching between 2G and 3G networks".

The update also tackles bugs affecting AirPlay video playback, issues with syncing Safari bookmarks, and a problem in which an 'Unable to purchase' alert pops up when users have successfully made a purchase from the App Store or iTunes.

For more on this ZDNet UK-selected story, see iPhone gets iOS 5.1.1 update, brings HDR and bug fixes on CNET UK.

Isn't it very obvious now that the iPhones will be released in September/October time and the iPads in the March/April slot. It makes the most sense on a number of levels.

Gives a break between apple purchases, puts less strain on its suppliers, also gives a gap for marketing campaigns so as not to overlap.

Also if people sign up to 24 month contracts as is the norm for iPhone owners, they will be locked into a contract when the new Android phones are released in March-May window. Meaning no jumping ship until they've at least seen the new iPhone.

I think this cycle will continue in this way.

I agree it'll continue that way, although most providers will let you upgrade after 21 months (as long as you stay with them obviously) so your last point might not be that valid.

Well the benefit is that when the new flashy Android phone is out most people will still be locked into a contract and the impulse buy will be mitigated by that. Most people on an iPhone 4S contract would be locked in until October 2013 so when their contracts are coming up the new iPhone is coming out while the Android phones have been out for a few months and lost the initial hype. It means people won't jump ship as much before at least looking at the new iPhone. It is a factor that is most certainly not lost on Apple. Also the proximity to Christmas is helpful too.

Anyway the point I was making was the cycle will be changed permanently now, so nobody should expect a new iPhone in June or July.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably a question you have heard plenty of times but for some reason by iPhone is not showing on my iTunes. It charges from the USB but under my computer its labelled a removable disk. It's a iphone 3gs and its jailbroken. I have updated itunes to the latest version. I did put the iPhone in DFU mode and it recognised it then and asked to restore the phone. However I do not want to lose my music and ideally back it up before I do any restore.

Could it be the jailbreak causing it? Obvious question, sorry I've never jb'd mine :S Though I am reading right now about doing it to my ATV2 and buying a ATV3 so we have one up and downstairs.

The reason I won't buy an iPhone 5 is because there is no way it'll jump to the big screens. It'll prob just jump up to 4 inch screen. I think the 4.3 inch screen of the S2 is too small, I'll be used to the 4.8 inch screen of the S3 by the time october comes around.

Also the thought of not having drag and drop access to my phone would be very hard to get used to. using itunes to simply get stuff on my phone is a bit frightening.

I'd love to use iOS other than that, love to have a poke around the app store too. Just like try it out kinda thing. But I'll prob be going Windows or Vanilla Android tbh around the end of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

according to the sun for the iphone 5 they have changed the port size

so therefore if you have a docking station that will be useless as will all the devices you have that use to connect your iphone to your PC

what w**kers, more money for those who want a 5. dont think i will bother if this true

what w**kers, more money for those who want a 5. dont think i will bother if this true

They're rocket polishers for having proprietary connectors full stop.

I hope they change it every new phone, and I hope it's got the rumoured watchdog chip that will prevent unauthorised 3rd party accessories. Maybe then people will wake up to just how bad apple actually are.

What do you want? It's going to be bigger than the current 3.5" because a 4G antenna (probably) needs a bigger chassis and a bigger chassis means a bigger screen.

Â