The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

Darren I think Apple will need to make the Iphone 5 absolutely the best phone they can make to stand any chance of holding on to the market share they have. The one issue which I can see will annoy many Iphone users is they are changing the size of the dock socket on the new Iphone 5 (apparently) so all the music systems with built in docks wont work with the new version - I can see that going down well..............

For me the one thing they have to change is the user interface which essentially hasnt changed greatly since the first Iphone and looks very stale when compared with Androids much more flexible interface.

The dock size thing is annoying for me at the moment as I change from an iPhone. I've got 2 different docking station/music things plus an FM transmitter in the car that will have to be replaced now that I'm moving from Apple.

So this is midly irritating. But I imagine I'd be even more annoyed if I'd stayed with an iPhone and still had to change!

Even though my days with an iPhone are numbered now (today might be my last) here's something that's annoying me a lot at the moment.

When you send a text, you can't shoose whether it goes as an iMessage or a normal text.

So it means, on days like today when I have very little signal (and not 3G), I send a text to someone and it just sits there, trying to be sent as an iMessage as opposed to a text.

And when i realise this, there's no way of clicking it and saying "send as text" or anything, until the message has failed, at which point you can.

Annoying the shit out of me

• 1 month later...
Even though my days with an iPhone are numbered now (today might be my last) here's something that's annoying me a lot at the moment.

When you send a text, you can't shoose whether it goes as an iMessage or a normal text.

So it means, on days like today when I have very little signal (and not 3G), I send a text to someone and it just sits there, trying to be sent as an iMessage as opposed to a text.

And when i realise this, there's no way of clicking it and saying "send as text" or anything, until the message has failed, at which point you can.

Annoying the shit out of me

That doesn't happen on my iPhone but I do get caught out abroad if i'm using iMessage and my wifi goes and it switches to text, but that's my fault :)

I'm really interested in how the ex iphone owners will receive the new iphone. If there are nothing we haven't already seen in leaks it'll really be light years behind android super phones. I mean my first smartphone has a 4 inch screen and I bought that 2 and a half years ago.

It'll be really interesting to see what the phone is like as another dud like the 4S may see more people switch.

Well I've had a bloody 3GS for the past 2 years (contract!!!) so it's going to be a huge upgrade for me.

I can't wait for iOS 6 either. Siri is more UK friendly, free sat nav, maps redesigned to name a few.

I'm really interested in how the ex iphone owners will receive the new iphone. If there are nothing we haven't already seen in leaks it'll really be light years behind android super phones. I mean my first smartphone has a 4 inch screen and I bought that 2 and a half years ago.

It'll be really interesting to see what the phone is like as another dud like the 4S may see more people switch.

I think what has been seen in leaks will be what we will get. I'm very much on the fence until I see it but not everyone wants a huge screen.

I would hardly call the 4s a dud either, is not their biggest selling phone?

It was also the biggest selling smartphone since October 2011 up until last month when the S3 outsold it.

What else can Apple do with it iOS6 has leaked which gives away a big portion of what else the phone will offer. Difficult to offer a better screen, just bigger, better camera? Maybe NFC?. They have hit the same technology buffers that Android has.

I mean if it's just an elongated iPhone 4 that'll be disappointing won't it? The iphone 4 is dated design, the change from 3GS to 4 was a big design change. But the leaks if they're true will be little design change and just slightly bigger. I'd be amazed if they simply did that. Because as Mykey said ios6 has little to get excited about in it a d they can't get away with another gimmick like siri.

They need something big. But what can they do? I'm really interested to see what it is. Because from reading many tech sites I get the feeling that some may turn on it if it's just a meh upgrade. Even the American sites who are all pro apple sites anyway.

Very interesting anyway. What is sad though is that even if it's a huge let down it'll still be the best selling iphone ever.

Those genuine?

Doesn't look much bigger than the 4 from that.

In fact it doesn't look much different at all from the 4.

They will be yeah, at this late stage.

Why change a perfectly decent design?

Apple could change it and make a hell of a lot more money, at least they are sticking to what they see as the best product.

The screen is about a centimetre taller.

Those genuine?

Doesn't look much bigger than the 4 from that.

In fact it doesn't look much different at all from the 4.

They will be yeah, at this late stage.

Why change a perfectly decent design?

Apple could change it and make a hell of a lot more money, at least they are sticking to what they see as the best product.

The screen is about a centimetre taller.

It's beginning to look dated. These things move on. Look at the 3 now compared to the 4. it looks old.

If the 5 is going to have a similar 2 year cycle then I think it'll look very out of date by the end of 2014

1 cm taller for the screen? I don't think that's good enough to be quite honest.

As I said, I'd have no problem going back to Apple if this phone is awesome.

But more or less no design change and only a 1cm bigger screen isn't a great start for me personally.

How much are people going to cringe at Cooks selling of how amazing the bigger screen and LTE is?

Apple invented LTE in 2012, and they have patented the hell out of it!

Â