• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 21)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 87)

im trying to like him but hes just not doing it for me yet hes passing is erratic ,choices are at times bewildering and his set pieces just not good enough give him more time and who knows we might see the potential MoN has but so far im not too keen
I don't think Downing is playing badly, just needs to get involved alot more. Saying that, in our last 4 games:

West Ham - Man of the match.

Arsenal - Shocking, one of those days.

Fulham - Played very well first half, like midfield, dropped in second.

Today - Just didn't get involved enough.

So it's not as bad as your making out, although I'd hardly say he's in top form.

Just remember some of the reaction to Milner last year, he's by a mile of best player now.

Considering we have the best defence this season it really is down to so many last ditch tackles. God help us if 2 of our central defenders get injured, especially the by of the season Dunne. The midfield just do not protect enough when asked to.

We need 2 strikers and at least one central midfielder in the summer. Petrov looked shattered after an hour yet dither never took him off?!? Carew came on and was practically invisible. The options on the bench are pretty bad when it's Sidwell coming on. Jesus.

Good result but long term, yet again painting over the cracks. This team under his tactics will NEVER make top four. 2nd to the ball every time. Just shows how shit the league is ourside of the top 3 when us, Spuds, Citehh and dippers are the flag bearers, AND that Everton can race up the league after the absolute abysmal start they've had.

Result. Decent. Long term, worrying.

6th in the league, in the 5th round of the FA Cup and in the League Cup Final.

I really wonder about this place.

No need to be pedantic, I know the current situation. I said LONG term is a worry. I dont see the current situation as long term. I'd love to be proved wrong. Sadly, I think I won't be.

im trying to like him but hes just not doing it for me yet hes passing is erratic ,choices are at times bewildering and his set pieces just not good enough give him more time and who knows we might see the potential MoN has but so far im not too keen

:clap: well said. he has ability no doubt, but from where i'm watching he doesnt have the nuts. has he struck the ball or made a tackle in anger yet? maybe he is still wary after his injury but i seem to remember that the boro fans used to complain about him being too lightweight too.

I know its the wrong thread, but I actually dont want us to win on Wed.

What are the bleeding chances on us beating Man U three times in a season !.

Abous as much chance as me winning 5 million in 10 minutes.

Are any of the others plauing on Wed

We'd have put the same chances on us beating them twice at the start of the season.

Of course I want to win on wednesday, every game is a different game.

Well, once again Villa play defence, defence, defence, sit deep ... counter-attack from time to time. It ain't pretty, but it's effective.

And not for the first time this season Spurs batter the opposition goal but can't stick one in.

Spurs were the better team by some margin, dominated possession, had easily the lion's share of attacking play, but Villa defended very well so I can't say you didn't just about deserve to get away with a draw.

Spurs miss Lennon ... need him back pronto.

Spurs were the better team, but not by as much as you suggest. I feel Spurs are a bit of bogey team for us, and Harry is a bogey manager for Martin, so I'm happy with the result.

Villa were ugly at times today, but so were Spurs, neither team showed their true ability. Spurs are a good team at home and deserve the respect we showed them today.

On another note, we played to our strengths today and anyone complaining about that (not aimed at Glaston) has a fundamental lack of understanding of Villa and of the game in general.

Go to WHL and try to play total football and you'll get stuffed.

That is statistically fallacy. It's a bit like those who are on the roulette and think that after 8 black in a row, chances are bigger that the wheel will show red the next time.

Abous as much chance as me winning 5 million in 10 minutes.

Are any of the others plauing on Wed

I don't see how losing on Wednesday makes us more likely to win in the final.

That speaks volumes. You would prefer Villa lose to vindicate your controversial views on an internet message board?

Or are you making some other obscure point?

Delighted we got a point but oh boy I am sick of tearing my hair out everytime I see Villa play. We are not fun to watch and sit back too much. The ref was a shambles granted and stopped the play too much but we never looked like mounting a sustained attackand gave the ball away far, far too much. The total lack of striking options up front will harm us and I suspect we won't finish any higher than 6th again.

Friedel - 8 some wonderful saves, was like a brick wall

L Young 7 - steady at the back

Cuellar 6 - solid but gave the ball away too cheaply

Dunne - 8 excellent tackles and should be captain

Collins - 6 solid at the back but should not be 1st choice

Downing - 6 another below-par performance

A Young - 7 had a few good runs and kept the Spuds defense worried

Petrov - 6 totally over-ran. below par today

Milner - 7 did very well doing the work of 2 midfielder

Gabby - 6 if he'd controlled better could have scored, did a lot of leg work

Heskey - 5 would be better playing as a defender on this showing

Subs

Carew - 4 oh dear, definatly not good enough any more. Did nothing.

Sidwell - not on long enough.

Maybe on on me own with this one, buy why didn't King at least get a booking when he dragged Gabby down in the second half i think it was, when he would of been one on one with Gomes.

Me old man said that.

How threatening is Gabby now compared to what he was last year, like the shot which hit Dawson's hand, great upper body strength.

That speaks volumes. You would prefer Villa lose to vindicate your controversial views on an internet message board?

Or are you making some other obscure point?

i was just thinking that that comment says a lot more about the poster than it does about the team.

fwiw - i think that clattering rooney on wednesday night is more likley to help us win the final!! (only enough to keep him out for four weeks though - we need him back for the summer)

i was just thinking that that comment says a lot more about the poster than it does about the team.

i think you need to read the post .. he is saying he doesn't believe we can beat Man u 3 times in a season thus he's sacrifice Weds for a Cup Final win ... it's a sort of tempt fate type thing not a go at the team

i think you need to read the post .. he is saying he doesn't believe we can beat Man u 3 times in a season thus he's sacrifice Weds for a Cup Final win ... it's a sort of tempt fate type thing not a go at the team

whats wrong with beating them 3 times in a season? we have already done the hardest one of the three...