• Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Carew (for Heskey 21)
    • Sidwell (for Downing 87)

Considering we have the best defence this season it really is down to so many last ditch tackles. God help us if 2 of our central defenders get injured, especially the by of the season Dunne. The midfield just do not protect enough when asked to.

We need 2 strikers and at least one central midfielder in the summer. Petrov looked shattered after an hour yet dither never took him off?!? Carew came on and was practically invisible. The options on the bench are pretty bad when it's Sidwell coming on. Jesus.

Good result but long term, yet again painting over the cracks. This team under his tactics will NEVER make top four. 2nd to the ball every time. Just shows how shit the league is ourside of the top 3 when us, Spuds, Citehh and dippers are the flag bearers, AND that Everton can race up the league after the absolute abysmal start they've had.

Result. Decent. Long term, worrying.

Oh right, people now saying Downing brings more to the game than what we see. Funny, its always the crap players that little nugget comes up

Never here people say that line about the likes of Rooney !

He has been woeful the last 4 games, there is nothing hidden that I am not seeing. I think he is a good player, I think he can get better - but please dont tell me he is playing well and I cant see it !

if you had said that then more people would have agreed with you - what you said is that since downing has come into the team we have changed our style of play and become worse for it - not the same thing.

Well, once again Villa play defence, defence, defence, sit deep ... counter-attack from time to time. It ain't pretty, but it's effective.

And not for the first time this season Spurs batter the opposition goal but can't stick one in.

Spurs were the better team by some margin, dominated possession, had easily the lion's share of attacking play, but Villa defended very well so I can't say you didn't just about deserve to get away with a draw.

Spurs miss Lennon ... need him back pronto.

I don't think Downing is playing badly, just needs to get involved alot more. Saying that, in our last 4 games:

West Ham - Man of the match.

Arsenal - Shocking, one of those days.

Fulham - Played very well first half, like midfield, dropped in second.

Today - Just didn't get involved enough.

So it's not as bad as your making out, although I'd hardly say he's in top form.

I didnt say Albrighton did I - I said someone LIKE Albrighton !!!

Someone with pace, someone who can take players on and get to the byline.

We cant buy anyone now, so if we were it would have to be Albrighton - thats what I said !.

And if you think we've played good football in the last 2 months , you are watching Coronation Street not football. 2 goal in 6 games (and they came in 4 minutes) says it all !

Oh forgive me, i didn't realise you were so pedantic.

2 goals in 6 games says nothing about the chances we've created, against West Ham we've had countless chances, Arsenal - Downing missed two good chances, even tonight we've had Carew miss two good chances. A Fernando Torres would have notched at least one of those tonight, that's the difference at the moment.

Your totally overreacting, in your summation you've neglected to mention the solitary 1 goal we've conceded.

Calm down, and go back and watch our games against West Ham etc. We've played good stuff and looked Rock Solid at the back. Enjoy it. That's whats gonna win us the League Cup.

A point was a good result... I would have taken a point before the game, and after the game I think we mugged them. We were dire today. But thats our new found strength... total risiliance.

I think today we were lacking grit in the center of midfield. How many times did the ball fall just outside of the penalty box and no Villa player was there...

Still, game on...

Spurs batter the opposition goal but can't stick one in.

Your right in some points, but I don't really agree with this, apart from Defoe's sitter in the first half, I can't remember any other clear cut chances for yourselves, half chances of crosses and some good long range efforts but it weren't like that Hull game not long ago where literally you had 7/8 attempts that somehow didn't end up being a goal.

The 2nd best chance of the game fell to our player and possibly even the third when Carew let it run across him and King but hit it straight at Gomes.

Considering we have the best defence this season it really is down to so many last ditch tackles. God help us if 2 of our central defenders get injured, especially the by of the season Dunne. The midfield just do not protect enough when asked to.

We need 2 strikers and at least one central midfielder in the summer. Petrov looked shattered after an hour yet dither never took him off?!? Carew came on and was practically invisible. The options on the bench are pretty bad when it's Sidwell coming on. Jesus.

Good result but long term, yet again painting over the cracks. This team under his tactics will NEVER make top four. 2nd to the ball every time. Just shows how shit the league is ourside of the top 3 when us, Spuds, Citehh and dippers are the flag bearers, AND that Everton can race up the league after the absolute abysmal start they've had.

6th in the league, in the 5th round of the FA Cup and in the League Cup Final.

I really wonder about this place.

Well, once again Villa play defence, defence, defence, sit deep ... counter-attack from time to time. It ain't pretty, but it's effective.

And not for the first time this season Spurs batter the opposition goal but can't stick one in.

Spurs were the better team by some margin, dominated possession, had easily the lion's share of attacking play, but Villa defended very well so I can't say you didn't just about deserve to get away with a draw.

HOOF!

Oh right, people now saying Downing brings more to the game than what we see. Funny, its always the crap players that little nugget comes up

Downing was introduced in the game against Burnley after 70 minutes. We equalized with Heskey in the 70th. minute. I don't remember if Downing made an impact from my viewing at the telly. Bit Milner, who were moved into the central midfield had the assist.

He then played from start when we won against Pompey. He scored. Milner also scored from the central midfield position and had an assist.

Downing then played from start against Hull. We won 3-0. Yet again one of our central midfielders scored and made an assist (Milner).

Downing started when we won 1-0 against United.

Downing started when we won 2-0 against Sunderland. Heskey scored after another assist from Milner, who played central midfield.

Downing started when we won 1-0 against Stoke.

Then we had two poor matches against Arsenal and Liverpool, where Downing started but did not play as well as the earlier matches.

After that Downing has started in 5 wins and 3 draws. Not made a huge impact lately, imo.

But facts are: After introduction of Downing, we have won 10 matches, lost 2 and had 4 draws (of which 1 we were under before Downing came onto the pitch).

We have also stated to see that our central midfielders give assists.

6th in the league, in the 5th round of the FA Cup and in the League Cup Final.

I really wonder about this place.

well, we're seventh actually.

and its not about where we are, its about how we have got where we are i think. a month ago we had liverpool by the danglers, now we have to beat manyoo on wednesday to get back level with them. for example.

im trying to like him but hes just not doing it for me yet hes passing is erratic ,choices are at times bewildering and his set pieces just not good enough give him more time and who knows we might see the potential MoN has but so far im not too keen

I don't think Downing is playing badly, just needs to get involved alot more. Saying that, in our last 4 games:

West Ham - Man of the match.

Arsenal - Shocking, one of those days.

Fulham - Played very well first half, like midfield, dropped in second.

Today - Just didn't get involved enough.

So it's not as bad as your making out, although I'd hardly say he's in top form.

Yeh like your Long ball Broken record Which is fail vs the best defense in the league maybe if you passed it round more like Arsenal you might of been walking away with 3 points.You didnt even batter the goal just wishful thinking attempts,please stop deluding yourself.And the word derserve has no meaning in Football.

Great result for us especially as it is a shit result for them

It's a better result for you than Spurs, yes.

But it's hardly a great result for Villa (winning would have been) and hardly a shit result for Spurs (losing would have been).

The way that Villa usually set up to play means that the chances of a genuinely great result for you today were always rather small.

HOOF!

But Defoe is so good.

Don't you have Defoe to stick them in! I enjoyed this point!