• Cuellar
    • Downing
    • A Young
    • Milner
    • Petrov
    • Heskey
    • Agbonlahor
    • Delph (on for Heskey 78)

Thought we played very well and had Downing got his shooting boots on then he'd have bagged two. Gabby should have scored his chance but as we all keep saying the major difference between us and the real qaulity teams is that they have the regular scorer.

I thought Heskey and Petrov were both very good last night.

You know when you've got Arsenal rattled when Arsene Wenger starts talking about you. It happened last year claiming he expected Villa coaching staff to influence the referee and "was not disappointed with what he saw". I'm suprised he saw anything considering he never sees anything happening on the pitch.

Villa and Arsenal played the same game in the same way last night. Their back line consistently fouled Heskey and Gabby. There were two physical defences out there last night. It makes me laugh, what does he expect? Our defenders not to tackle and just let them waltz through for a shot on goal? It's pathetic and a shame because his attitude make people hate a team which on occasion can play some nice football.

I dislike the fact people just think a goalscorer would definately score. However

1. Someone like Defoe hasn't scored at home vs Hull, Stoke, wolves. So it's bot that clear cut.

2. We needed our 2 strikers today! If heskey weren't playing, who would of made 3rd man in midfield and held ball up for team? If gabby wernt playing, who would of stretched their defence like he did and give us that option to break quickly. Strikers just don't stand on the edge of the box and do nothing all game abd if they don't Score 'there shit'. Like any other position, they have roles in the team. These can be under-rated.

Overall a good performance from the villa, we had graft and good approach play, but yet again we're just lacking that killer touch, that "fox in the box".

I thought Petrov was imperious, he had a real calming effect on the midfield, whenever we were under the kosh he'd pick the ball up, compose himself and find a pass. Ashley Young was also in inspired form, he seems to have remembered how to go past players and his confidence looks sky high.

The referee had a shocker, everytime a Villa player got close to an Arsenal player he rewarded them with a free kick, yet when Villa players had their shirts tugged or ankles clipped he ignored it. Campbell clearly brought down Dunne in the last minutes and yet the ref let play continue.

For me Petrov just pips Young for MOTM.

Does it qualify as 'being beaten' when you're absolutely nowhere to be seen? There were a few occasions in the match when Arsenal passed the ball to their right hand side of our box and Cuéllar was nowhere. Their player had the luxury of receiving it, turning and running at an angle to square it. He has a centre back's tendency to come central and against the better teams that can kill you - and should have done today. I like Cuéllar, particularly as a centre back and he can get away with it, just, against the poor teams, but he does go awol. We got off lightly today on his side of the pitch, probably in part because Clichy was terrified of Young's next attack.

Is the last bit about him playing right back BOF? If so I agree, he has to be moved back to the centre even if Warnock is injured and maybe bring Beye in.

Yeah, the whole post is about him playing right back compared to him playing well at CB.

I am the only vote for James Collins ?

Staggered

He absolutely oozed class last night, was composed, won everything, and restricted Arsneal - the most attacking side in Europe probably, to about 3 (however, very good you got to say) chances. He was immense.

Unsung hero thats all I can say.

For the match, we should have won. Downing was absolutely abysmil and should have been hiked off.

On the other hand, that was the best game Heskey has played for us, and he takes him off !. I was annoyed, we just shored up midfield and played for the point after that.

MOTM - Collins, but Heskey and Young ran him close

Aweful - Downing

Everyone else played well.

The Ref - ridiculous !

Wenger - disgusting

On the other hand, that was the best game Heskey has played for us, and he takes him off !. I was annoyed, we just shored up midfield and played for the point after that.

Bloody hell Paulanddonya, you ok mate? :)

At this rate you are actually gonna like him.

TBH I thought that Campbell was begining to nullify Heskey and I thought the introduction of more pace and directness to the midfield was a good move, considering said defenders recent lack of attributes (he was even skinned by Dunne...Richard Dunne!).

Got to agree with the rest of your summary though esp about Collins performance although I thought both Youngs ran him close.

Bloody hell Paulanddonya, you ok mate? :)

At this rate you are actually gonna like him.

Nah, fair play to the bloke last night. I am not saying we should stick with him, we are DESPERATE for a goalscorer.

But last night he worked like a trojan , he won almost everything, tackled almost everything, and for the first time in a Villa shirt actually tried to score (I know he has scored, but last night, he tried to get in positions).

Even the shot that went so high it ended up in Sandwell - at least he shot - which I reckon has gotta be the first time.

Very good performance, and if he played like that more regularly, we would be a threat to the top 4.

On a downside, a point was OK, but with Man U coming up, I can see us losing touch with Spurs and Man City and falling into the clutches of Everton. I think top 4 has gone, and we are now battling for a european place.

I actually thought we'd lose last night so i'm really happy with the point and by all accounts, we just might have sneaked all three. Its glaringly obvious that we need a better cutting edge up front and we cannot keep relying on Gabby to score. We simply must get someone in before the transfer window closes, or we will not even finish in the top six this season.

MOTM - Collins, but Heskey and Young ran him close

Awful - Downing

Everyone else played well.

The Ref - ridiculous !

Wenger - disgusting

Pretty much this.

Collins has the potential to better than Dunne.

ok i have a rafa list here regarding bad decisions

-gabby getting fouled by gallas on edge of box - no free kick

-ball played by an arsenal player through to gabby on the wing - called offside

-delph producing a great tackle and getting his toe on the ball at the edge of our area - arsenal free kick

-arshavin kicking lumps out of petrov twice in a row - no card

-old man campbell fouling Dunne when running through on goal whist raping him for pace - no foul (or a booking for Dunne diving)

-oh and MON's decision to play Stewart Downing when he was clearly drunk

feels good to get all that off my chest...

I thought Collins was dodgy again, right at the start of the second half he sliced that cross that nearly gave Arsenal a goal and couple of times later he came out of defence and missed the interception that reminded me of Knight at his not so finest. I don't think he's playing anywhere near the standard when he first joined. As soon as Warnock is fit, I'd move Cuellar back alongside Dunney and have Young at RB as he didn't put a foot wrong last night.

As for the game, point was probably fair. Is it me or do we seem to play better football against the better teams (ignore Wenger) and just lump it long against the poorer teams. I thought our play at times in the first half was very good, bit more disjointed in the second.

Ashley Young had a very good game, always an outlet on the right so agree with him being MOTM, Petrov ran him a close second. Downing though. He has some good moments running with the ball but I dunno, his crossing hasn't been as good as I thought it would be and he lacks confidence to shoot on occasions. And he really needs to stop missing sitters agaisnt top teams, that header should've been in no problem.

As for our front two, well I thought heskey was actually pretty good in the first half but if you're gonig to ask gabby to drop deep and hold the ball up (which he did well again) then you need a more clincial and quicker striker alongside him to get into the box. Given Gabby's performing the Heskey role much better than Heskey himself, then either start giving Fonz some minutes or buy a new striker in the summer.

There isn't too many problems in our team anymore. The defence is good and has options on the bench, midfield's decent although probably a need for another central midfielder in the summer. Just need that clincial striker.

We're not far away at all now, that's 10 points off the big 4 already so let's get 1-2 good signings in the summer and have another good go next season.

ok i have a rafa list here regarding bad decisions

-gabby getting fouled by gallas on edge of box - no free kick

-ball played by an arsenal player through to gabby on the wing - called offside

-delph producing a great tackle and getting his toe on the ball at the edge of our area - arsenal free kick

-arshavin kicking lumps out of petrov twice in a row - no card

-old man campbell fouling Dunne when running through on goal whist raping him for pace - no foul (or a booking for Dunne diving)

-oh and MON's decision to play Stewart Downing when he was clearly drunk

feels good to get all that off my chest...

I like that list. The referee was appauling, clearly the worst i've seen all season, how much do these rocket polishers get paid? £2000 per game? Shouldn't get paid bugger all for that.

I dislike the fact people just think a goalscorer would definately score. However

1. Someone like Defoe hasn't scored at home vs Hull, Stoke, wolves. So it's bot that clear cut.

2. We needed our 2 strikers today! If heskey weren't playing, who would of made 3rd man in midfield and held ball up for team? If gabby wernt playing, who would of stretched their defence like he did and give us that option to break quickly. Strikers just don't stand on the edge of the box and do nothing all game abd if they don't Score 'there shit'. Like any other position, they have roles in the team. These can be under-rated.

well said mate, if only a few more people thought like this.

thought the game could of went either way last night, we were unlucky in a way not to get the win. The ref was shocking (is it me or does the standard of refereeing get worse by the season?, ive seen some shocking referee displays down villa park this season)

anyway thought ash was MOTM he seems to be getting back to his best, all the defence played well and specials mentions for petrov, heskey and the hard working gabby. the goals will start flowing in the league again trust me.

Typical of villa!

The day that Ash seems to come smack-bang back into form, Downing has a shocker!

Ash MOTM

I hope next game we have the real Downing back and Young maintains this level of performance