The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Jim McDonnell is getting the sack.

Oh absolutely, wrong sort of fight from JD, think they thought it was turn up, hit and win. Got to go down to McDonnell that.

I honestly think Adam Booth was the difference between the two tonight. I've given him stick for his work with Groves before but tonight he really pulled it out. I wouldn't be surprised if Frank sent DeGale to the states ala Khan.

Oh absolutely, wrong sort of fight from JD, think they thought it was turn up, hit and win. Got to go down to McDonnell that.

I honestly think Adam Booth was the difference between the two tonight. I've given him stick for his work with Groves before but tonight he really pulled it out. I wouldn't be surprised if Frank sent DeGale to the states ala Khan.

Definitely the difference, had the plan and the training 100% spot on. to be fair, Booth has been brilliant in Hayes corner too so maybe it is no shock. I really have to admit, tonight has given me a different perspective on Groves, really really like the way he was so tactically spot on.

Definitely the difference, had the plan and the training 100% spot on. to be fair, Booth has been brilliant in Hayes corner too so maybe it is no shock. I really have to admit, tonight has given me a different perspective on Groves, really really like the way he was so tactically spot on.

I've never slated his work with Haye, it's been fantastic. Nor his corner work for that matter. What I was critical of was how he seemed to be trying to mould Groves into Haye mk2. If you watch the fight with Anderson, tactically he was dreadful. He righted those wrongs tonight though.

I've never slated his work with Haye, it's been fantastic. Nor his corner work for that matter. What I was critical of was how he seemed to be trying to mould Groves into Haye mk2. If you watch the fight with Anderson, tactically he was dreadful. He righted those wrongs tonight though.

I didn't think you were mate :) you're probably right about him trying to turn Groves into a Haye mk2 instead of a Groves mk1, which of course is the only thing you can do as no boxer is ever the same.

Gonna watch the next Groves fight and possibly take back my negativity towards him.

srME7.jpg

He probably was already, but to be champion again at 46 puts Bernard Hopkins up there with the all time greats, doesnt it? 52-5-2, and one of his defeats was in his first ever fight. Never been knocked out, defended his middleweight championship for a record 20 times. Seems that living like a monk really worked out for him.

I see Roy Jones jr got knocked out again. It's almost criminal watching him destroy his legacy. :(

Groves has beaten him as an amateur, and now as a professional, he doesn't need to fight him again and has nothing to gain from a rematch.
Except loadsa $$$$$$. His girlfriend was pretty smart considering he's a ginge too.

Groves has beaten him as an amateur, and now as a professional, he doesn't need to fight him again and has nothing to gain from a rematch.

I can think of a couple of million things he would gain from a rematch, and they all have the Queen's face printed on them.

Groves - DeGale 2 is inevitable as so many people will want to see it. Personally I hope it doesnt happen for a couple of years and they both have had plenty of success in the interim, but I'd certainly watch it if it did happen.

Â