The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Didn't get chance to catch this fight. Is it worth getting a torrent of? And what was the deal with the score cards? It always makes me raise an eyebrow when two judges score it fairly comfortably in one man's favour and the other one doesn't.

Didn't get chance to catch this fight. Is it worth getting a torrent of? And what was the deal with the score cards? It always makes me raise an eyebrow when two judges score it fairly comfortably in one man's favour and the other one doesn't.

I'd say it's worth watching, definitely.

I had it to Froch by 5 I think and some of the US press had it by 6 or 7 so the even card does seem strange, but a lot of the rounds were very tight and if you favour aggression, I can see why you would give rounds to Johnson.

The Zbik vs Chavez Jr fight was the best scrap last night. Well worth watching.

Still havent got around to watching the Froch fight. I did catch Prizefighter though, and I think we have seen the end of Junior Witter now. He will potter around for a few more fights no doubt, but I think his days of being able to get world class opponents are over.

Anyway, I didn't bump the thread for that, I just saw that Amir Khan has signed to defend his title against Zab Judah at 140lbs. I haven't been following Judah too closely recently, but I understand he is in good form of late. I think Khan will have too much for him though. It's a shame Tim Bradley is ducking Khan, because I think that is a fight which needs to happen. I also think Khan will win that.

Still havent got around to watching the Froch fight. I did catch Prizefighter though, and I think we have seen the end of Junior Witter now. He will potter around for a few more fights no doubt, but I think his days of being able to get world class opponents are over.

Anyway, I didn't bump the thread for that, I just saw that Amir Khan has signed to defend his title against Zab Judah at 140lbs. I haven't been following Judah too closely recently, but I understand he is in good form of late. I think Khan will have too much for him though. It's a shame Tim Bradley is ducking Khan, because I think that is a fight which needs to happen. I also think Khan will win that.

He did better than I was expecting given how awful he looked in that fight in Canada. Of course I hope he retires now, he's never going to get back to anywhere near the level he was before. I don't think there's great public demand for him to keep going either.

Khan vs Judah is a good fight. It's more than possible that he could walk Khan onto a big shot. I'm not sure ducked is the right way to put it regarding Bradley. I think that Tim isn't in the same rush that Khan is to get the fight signed, it's one I'm sure will happen in near future providing neither man loses. On the same night is the big heavyweight fight between Dereck Chisora and Tyson Fury. According to Warren's column in the sun it is going to be screened on channel 5. Presumably as a way of promoting the Khan fight which is on Primetime PPV.

Floyd Mayweather has announced he's fighting WBC titleist Victor Ortiz in September. One I expect him to win without to much trouble but it's still a fight I'm looking forward to. Anyway, it's being reported that Floyd is covering all of the costs of Genaro Hernandez's funeral who passed away this week.

Yeah, I heard Tyson Fury on Bunce this week (and lol @ your latest namecheck btw) and he is really trying to sell the fight. Given that he had nothing but nice things to say about Del Boy for months when it looked like Chisora was going to fight Klitschko I think everybody knows the "personal" aspect of the fight is purely there to get press.

Oh, and I was watching old fights earlier.

:lol: Yeah, made me laugh that did. I think it's a fight worth the big sell. Two good talking (When Del fancies it) heavyweights coming together in what I see as a real 50-50. It would be terrible if this is completely ignored by Sky and lost to an obscure channel, but it doesn't look like it will if Frank's not lying. I dunno, even when Chisora was signed to fight Wlad, Tyson was saying that he was ducking him. I don't think there is any real dislike between the two but Tyson sees him as the man between himself and the Lonsdale belt.

He's something incredible in that Williams fight. I think a lot of people have that down as Ali's best. It just makes you wonder about Vietnam.. :angry:

Yeah, there are so many "what if?" things about Ali and Vietnam. Personally I think it made his legend stronger. Yes, he might have dominated the division and ended up with something like 20 defences of the heavyweight title and yes, he almost certainly missed the years of his career where he was at his absolute peak but him being out enabled a new group of fighters like Frazier and Foreman to come to prominence, and lets face it, beating Foreman and Frazier when nobody gave him a chance is why Ali is immortal.

Haye talking a lot of shit. He seems to have got to Wlad a little bit. It seems to me that Wlad really does just see this as a sport and fights are never personal. Haye is doing his level best to make it personal. Interesting to see such a clash of personalities.

Haye talking a lot of shit. He seems to have got to Wlad a little bit. It seems to me that Wlad really does just see this as a sport and fights are never personal. Haye is doing his level best to make it personal. Interesting to see such a clash of personalities.

It's worth remembering that they recorded that about 3 weeks ago. Since that they've had the press conference's where Haye seemed a lot more subdued than normal. It was strange when Wlad just stared at him after the Vitali question. When the fight was signed I was expected Haye to really go for it with the shit talking, but other than that face-off video, we haven't really seen it.

Â