The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

On 13/06/2018 at 18:20, AshVilla said:

Speaking of Brook i see he's fighting another bum on the undercard of Dillian Whyte none the less.

How the mighty have fallen.

It's obviously to build him back up after two defeats.

The whyte Parker bill looks really good. Chisora vs takam added now as well. Definitely will be tuning in to this card

Time to get Errol spence to fight some real fighters not these bums like lad night.

Only has brook as credible on his cv and I still feel brook dropping down was a major factor for his loss. Surely porter/Garcia winner for him next. Thurman is a coward so can't see that fight happening anytime soon.

Then Crawford vs Spence.  That's the big one I want to see.

spence is a good fighter & is swerving lots of quality fighters..his main problem is marketing ..his very dull,hes not exciting to watch in or out the ring, he can not do good ppv figures & can not sell out venues. he may hold a strap but it counts for very little these days as customers want to see entertainment over a world championship defence

2 hours ago, cbr600rr said:

spence is a good fighter & is swerving lots of quality fighters..his main problem is marketing ..his very dull,hes not exciting to watch in or out the ring, he can not do good ppv figures & can not sell out venues. he may hold a strap but it counts for very little these days as customers want to see entertainment over a world championship defence

Very good point. His main strength from what I've seen his body shots they are powerful. Spence looks like a very good fighter but now he needs to fight better opponents not bums like this guy. He was a terrible boxer.

Your point about selling out venues also true. Only had 14k at his home turf. Brook done double.that at brammel lane

29 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Boxing really isn't a sport these days, very sad to see. This is probably the worst half year in boxing I've seen in 20 years of watching it.

Any fights you looking forward to this year?

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

GGG - Canelo rematch

Josh Taylor vs Postol. 

That's about it based on the schedule. H1 didn't have enough good fights tbh.

Don't you think the Parker whyte card is looking pretty decent

Errol Spence is the new body snatcher, and you can't  blame him for the quality of opponent, he was made the mandatory challenger by the IBF.  One thing I can say for certain, is Spence is a quality fighter, who ,imo, will clear up the Welterweight and most likely the Light Middleweight division. He ain't ducking anybody, that man comes to fight, make no mistake about that.

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Errol Spence is the new body snatcher, and you can't  blame him for the quality of opponent, he was made the mandatory challenger by the IBF.  One thing I can say for certain, is Spence is a quality fighter, who ,imo, will clear up the Welterweight and most likely the Light Middleweight division. He ain't ducking anybody, that man comes to fight, make no mistake about that.

Looks good but still has not fault anyone decent yet barring brook and I still feel the weight had a huge impact on brook

If they meet in Brooks current weight division I think brook wins. 

On 19/06/2018 at 13:40, Demitri_C said:

Looks good but still has not fault anyone decent yet barring brook and I still feel the weight had a huge impact on brook

If they meet in Brooks current weight division I think brook wins. 

Spence wore Brooks down in their title fight, them body shots take their toll, and, trust me, imo, it would be no  different at light - middleweight. Spence is one of the most avoided fighters out there. After what he done to Lamont  Peterson, you can understand  why.

Taylor vs Postol was a really good fight, Postol still has loads left in the tank but Taylor was too young and too fresh for him at times. I have to say, the scorecards were an absolute disgrace, horrifically bad, I scored it 115-112 Taylor with Postol losing an extra point for being knocked down. Scorecards like the ones produced yesterday smack of hometown cooking and are a terrible look for boxing. Postol won a lot of rounds in that fight and his efforts were just not recognised. 

On 20/06/2018 at 18:15, sheepyvillian said:

Spence wore Brooks down in their title fight, them body shots take their toll, and, trust me, imo, it would be no  different at light - middleweight. Spence is one of the most avoided fighters out there. After what he done to Lamont  Peterson, you can understand  why.

I disagree i think brook is more suited at this weight Spence isn't. Brooks the bigger guy too. I think Brooks wins at larger weight. But it definitely won't be a easy fight.

I dont think Crawford will avoid him although Thurman is the coward 

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree i think brook is more suited at this weight Spence isn't. Brooks the bigger guy too. I think Brooks wins at larger weight. But it definitely won't be a easy fight.

I dont think Crawford will avoid him although Thurman is the coward 

Where is the evidence to support that theory ? I think Brooks gave it his all in that fight with Spence, but when Spence moved up a gear ,Brooks wasn't able to go with him and handed the initiative to Spence. There was a measured purpose to Spence, throughout that fight and I don't think Brooks ever beats him, no matter what weight they compete at. Trust me, IMO, this man is going to the very top. He hasn't avoided any fighter, hence his wish to fight Brooks in his own back yard. That achievement should not be underestimated. When it matters, this kid produces the goods. I watched Lamont Petersons trainer, when he pulled him out of his fight with Spence, it was a mixture of awe and fear, in total awe of Spences talent, as he methodically and precisely broke any resistance Peterson had. He seemed genuinely concerned for the health of his fighter. It was a frightening statement by Spence. I really don't see how Crawford can beat Spence, I think Spence will expose him and all the hype that surrounds him, that's my take on it.

The proof of the pudding and all that.

On 24/06/2018 at 10:50, Dr_Pangloss said:

Taylor vs Postol was a really good fight, Postol still has loads left in the tank but Taylor was too young and too fresh for him at times. I have to say, the scorecards were an absolute disgrace, horrifically bad, I scored it 115-112 Taylor with Postol losing an extra point for being knocked down. Scorecards like the ones produced yesterday smack of hometown cooking and are a terrible look for boxing. Postol won a lot of rounds in that fight and his efforts were just not recognised. 

I concur. A great fight for Taylor at this stage of his career, who I thought looked really uncomfortable at times. Now he knows that you don't always dictate the pace of a fight. I thought Postol nullified Taylor's strengths brilliantly at times. When close up Taylor can be devastating, but as he hopefully learned after Saturday, sometimes you have to adapt and be patient in looking for the openings in your opponents defence.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Where is the evidence to support that theory ? I think Brooks gave it his all in that fight with Spence, but when Spence moved up a gear ,Brooks wasn't able to go with him and handed the initiative to Spence. There was a measured purpose to Spence, throughout that fight and I don't think Brooks ever beats him, no matter what weight they compete at. Trust me, IMO, this man is going to the very top. He hasn't avoided any fighter, hence his wish to fight Brooks in his own back yard. That achievement should not be underestimated. When it matters, this kid produces the goods. I watched Lamont Petersons trainer, when he pulled him out of his fight with Spence, it was a mixture of awe and fear, in total awe of Spences talent, as he methodically and precisely broke any resistance Peterson had. He seemed genuinely concerned for the health of his fighter. It was a frightening statement by Spence. I really don't see how Crawford can beat Spence, I think Spence will expose him and all the hype that surrounds him, that's my take on it.

The proof of the pudding and all that.

Peterson is old now and not the man he once was. As for brook he had to drop a hell of a lot of weight that took a massive toll on him. Also the eye injury against triple g played in his mind a lot.

Brook was actually winning the earlier rounds until around the 5th. It would be a good fight thats for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Matthysse is probably very long in the tooth and clearly after tonight finished but I thought Pacquiao, at nearly 40 years old, was unbelievable. He clearly has power but still has the handspeed and combinations behind them, whilst his legs are slower he still has terrific angles from which he can work from. He definitely has quite a bit left in the tank if he wants to go on, but depends on how he's matched. If you put a guy in front of him who will stand there and try and pick him off he is still very dangerous, would be madness to put him in with a Spence or a Crawford but a fight with say Lomachenko would be extremely interesting to me. 

How on earth was the boxer Rocky Fielding beat a world champion ? He looked out of his depth to a boxer who was stopped in the first round by Callum Smith. Another shady German boxer, whose no doubt built his record fighting nobody's. When will boxing clean up it's act, yes, it's improved from what it was, but there's still a lot going on under the table. I mean why isn't drug testing obligatory in Such a dangerous sport ? It boggles the mind, it really does .

Â