The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Groves four up after seven for me. I think it's a little closer than the commentary, but Groves is well in control of things.

I agree, I think the commentators are talking up a bigger gap than I’m personally seeing.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Eubank Jr must be the worst managed fighter in boxing. 

Got his old man blowing smoke up his arse instead of a proper coach and manager getting the best out of him.

He's clearly got some talent.  He's demonstrated tonight that he's not easily beaten too.  But there was no strategy at all.

All this fight was missing was a couple of drunk tarts trying to split them.  Although the ref did his best to make up for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Got his old man blowing smoke up his arse instead of a proper coach and manager getting the best out of him.

He's clearly got some talent.  He's demonstrated tonight that he's not easily beaten too.  But there was no strategy at all.

All this fight was missing was a couple of drunk tarts trying to split them.  Although the ref did his best to make up for it.

I'd say minimal boxing talent, good athletic talent, definitely mis-managed down to his utter cretin for a dad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd say minimal boxing talent, good athletic talent, definitely mis-managed down to his utter cretin for a dad.

It’s a tough one, undoubtedly his Dad got him the leg up in the sport, but he (Snr) needed to take a step back and get proper coaches in as he’s now holding him back.

• Like 1

I had it much wider for Groves and I think this is the bout which exposes Eubank as a famous surname with a six-pack. I'm still not sure what he was playing at, he's not got the power to overwhelm Groves physically and surely he'd have known that going in, right? Wild punches coming in from miles away are easy to see coming and all Groves had to do was step back and counter. He could have had two knock-downs if the ref had been on the ball and he coasted though the last few rounds (other than the 12th) but even with that I don't see the 115-113 card. 

I'd say Groves is a 'good' world level fighter rather than a great one and be didn't really have to do much to win. Lord knows what would happen to Eubank jr  if he were in with someone like GGG or Canelo. 

The Eubank name means he's still a draw so I'm sure he'll still be around but what does he do next? He might be too small to hang at the top of the rankings at 168 and the talent back down at 160 will annihilate him. Maybe beat a few gatekeepers somewhere before falling short again next time he's in with someone who knows how to box. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I had it much wider for Groves and I think this is the bout which exposes Eubank as a famous surname with a six-pack. I'm still not sure what he was playing at, he's not got the power to overwhelm Groves physically and surely he'd have known that going in, right? Wild punches coming in from miles away are easy to see coming and all Groves had to do was step back and counter. He could have had two knock-downs if the ref had been on the ball and he coasted though the last few rounds (other than the 12th) but even with that I don't see the 115-113 card. 

I'd say Groves is a 'good' world level fighter rather than a great one and be didn't really have to do much to win. Lord knows what would happen to Eubank jr  if he were in with someone like GGG or Canelo. 

The Eubank name means he's still a draw so I'm sure he'll still be around but what does he do next? He might be too small to hang at the top of the rankings at 168 and the talent back down at 160 will annihilate him. Maybe beat a few gatekeepers somewhere before falling short again next time he's in with someone who knows how to box. 

Triple G would humilate him. That's why he bottled it and brook took the challenge instead. 

I have no idea where he goes now either. He was chasing saunders again but He would lose that too. He is just hype 

Â