The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Me being "convinced" is not the same as saying someone is not tough. He obviously has something about him to be  champion and undefeated but as I explained earlier who has Parker fought worthwhile?

Hughie fury is piss poor and Joshua would destroy him

If Hughie fought Joshua the same way he did Parker then Joshua will win, but will have a very hard time getting to such a mobile target who is always thinking defense first. I'd imagine that fight would go the distance if Hughie's plan would be to do just that and not commit to anything.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I thought you"remain to be convinced " . That was my point ,this might well turn out to be one long night for Joshua .

Yes, not beyond the realms of possibility at all. Let's not forget that Whyte gave him a lot of problems at times and so did Takam. I'd say Parker is better than both of these guys. If it indeed turns out that Parker has an absolutely granite chin, and Joshua finally gets in front of someone who can take his punch (this happens to a lot of puncher at some point) then I really believe that Parker can test him.  Let's not forget that for a heavyweight Parker has good handspeed and can punch in combination. He will also come to fight and not bring the sort of sparring partner mentality that Takam brought to the table.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spence is the best welterweight in the world, an exceptional fighter with great accuracy, punch variety, balance and very good power. He'd decapitate Khan easily. I'm not sure what Peterson was doing in the ring with him.

Reminded me of the time Curry demolished Jones . A really cold ,clinical performance ,although tbf ,Peterson is no welterweight ,as was evident in the way Spence was able to walk him down so easy . what also was noticeable is Spence's willingness to take a punch ,to land one . It's certainly going to take a special fighter to get on top of him , as for Crawford ,too small ,and Thurman , I see him , should they meet ,just going into survive mode and losing widely on points . Maybe Spence could eventually make middleweight ,he's certainly a contender for that pound for pound spot .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spence is the best welterweight in the world, an exceptional fighter with great accuracy, punch variety, balance and very good power. He'd decapitate Khan easily. I'm not sure what Peterson was doing in the ring with him.

I'd love to see Crawford against spence now that would be a awesome fight. Crawford reminds me a lot of mayweather.

spemce would beat Thurman and the rest of the welterweights. 

Spence - Thurman has to happen this year, surely? I also think Spence wins but it's a huge fight, two undefeated fighters with reputations for knockouts, both in their prime, the winner could be a superstar. 

10 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Reminded me of the time Curry demolished Jones . A really cold ,clinical performance ,although tbf ,Peterson is no welterweight ,as was evident in the way Spence was able to walk him down so easy . what also was noticeable is Spence's willingness to take a punch ,to land one . It's certainly going to take a special fighter to get on top of him , as for Crawford ,too small ,and Thurman , I see him , should they meet ,just going into survive mode and losing widely on points . Maybe Spence could eventually make middleweight ,he's certainly a contender for that pound for pound spot .

Pretty much agree. I think he'd make fairly light work of Thurman. Thurman's much vaunted power isn't all that, evidenced by his lack of stoppages as he has stepped up his level of competition. He's also weak in the body and Spence is a murderous and committed body puncher. I think Spence folds him inside the distance. 

Crawford is the only one who potentially IMO has the skills to beat Spence. He's excellent off the back foot and equally good as an orthodox or southpaw. However, the size issue could be key. Crawford certainly can punch, but not clear this will carry to welterweight. If Spence can get on his chest it will be interesting to see how Crawford adapts, Spence has very long arms, longer than Crawford, so you'd expect Spence, a very good jabber, to use this punch to get in on Crawford. So Crawford will struggle to keep the distance, and mastering the distance is what his game is about.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Just had the pleasure of watching a replay of Hagler v Mugabe ,and what a brutal encounter it was ,most people remember the 3 rd battle with Hearns as Haglers stand out fight ,but IMO , his fight with the beast was way more ferocious ..

Hagler in his prime against triple G ,now that's a fight dreams are made of . I'd have to go with the marvelous one ,just .

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pretty much agree. I think he'd make fairly light work of Thurman. Thurman's much vaunted power isn't all that, evidenced by his lack of stoppages as he has stepped up his level of competition. He's also weak in the body and Spence is a murderous and committed body puncher. I think Spence folds him inside the distance. 

Crawford is the only one who potentially IMO has the skills to beat Spence. He's excellent off the back foot and equally good as an orthodox or southpaw. However, the size issue could be key. Crawford certainly can punch, but not clear this will carry to welterweight. If Spence can get on his chest it will be interesting to see how Crawford adapts, Spence has very long arms, longer than Crawford, so you'd expect Spence, a very good jabber, to use this punch to get in on Crawford. So Crawford will struggle to keep the distance, and mastering the distance is what his game is about.

Yeah the long arms would be a issue but Crawford is such a intelligent boxer i think he can maybe outbox Spence. Like you say the size could be a difference. but we saw with canelo and mayweather if you cant get hit you got problems. 

my route would be thurman vs spence then by then winner faces crawford 

would be good to see khan vs crawford (crawford wins for me with ease) then winner of that faces spence/thurman 

Usyk struggled early with Briedis' foot and hand speed, he then turned the fight on it's head from 6-8 and then it was tit for tat from 9 onwards. Usyk's jab was dominant and a lot of body shots were placed well and slowed Briedis down a lot. I felt he won 115-113 but I'm not sure whether Usyk isn't as good as I thought or that Briedis is a lot better than I thought. 

Matthysse had a weird KO over Kiram, looked a dive to me. Linares beat Gesta very clearly but it was dull, I don't think there's a more overrated boxer in the sport than Linares, yes he's very eye catching and skillful but has no quality wins on his resume and people forget that he got destroyed by Tony DeMarco and nearly got put out by Kevin Mitchell. I would fully fancy Lomachneko to do a job on him if that fight gets made.

8 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

GGG - Canelo 2 is on Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) No venue announced yet.

Meanwhile Khan is fighting Phil Lo Greco in Liverpool a couple of weeks before

I think Triple G will be absolutely brutal in this one. He was very pissed off about the draw. Triple G won that first fight I still cant believe they put that as a draw. 

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep for sure, he is lethal with them body shots. Canelo for me loses this one. 

Golovkin will be 36 years old for the rematch and he has already visibly declined. Canelo's team have played this perfectly. Golovkin's age is now a massive risk factor and there's every chance he could show up and look every bit his 36 years. I've never been a huge fan of Canelo and I thought Golovkin won the first fight clearly but I'm far less optimistic about the rematch.

• Like 1

Â