The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I can't believe Hearn is trying to hype that fight. It be over inside three rounds. Povetin and wilder both under same roof and both want Joshua...

Okolie looks massive compared to chamberlain I think okolie wins by late ko

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Forget that fight. I've just witnessed an absolute classic, in Gassiev and Dorticos . The Russian won by a last rd stoppage, but Dorticos was no mug, and showed some real heart.

It was a cracker - how Dorticos kept coming back I do not know.

Dorticos got pretty exposed, I had higher hopes for him but he's really just a 1D puncher, lacking skills to open up higher quality opponents, but he did show great heart. Gassiev is an absolute physical animal, explosive, punches hard and has terrific conditioning and now has some really good wins on his record with Diablo, Dorticos and Lebedev. He's going to give Usyk a lot of problems, and if Usyk performs like he did against Briedis then I expect Gassiev to win as Gassiev will maintain a high pace throughout. That said I expect Usyk to pull it out of the bag.

Interestingly, with all the talk of Usyk moving to heavyweight I think Gassiev would be best equipped, he's a very big cruiserweight and is 6ft 4, expect him to make a run at that division, he's also only 24 years old, really does have great potential.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Dorticos got pretty exposed, I had higher hopes for him but he's really just a 1D puncher, lacking skills to open up higher quality opponents, but he did show great heart. Gassiev is an absolute physical animal, explosive, punches hard and has terrific conditioning and now has some really good wins on his record with Diablo, Dorticos and Lebedev. He's going to give Usyk a lot of problems, and if Usyk performs like he did against Briedis then I expect Gassiev to win as Gassiev will maintain a high pace throughout. That said I expect Usyk to pull it out of the bag.

Interestingly, with all the talk of Usyk moving to heavyweight I think Gassiev would be best equipped, he's a very big cruiserweight and is 6ft 4, expect him to make a run at that division, he's also only 24 years old, really does have great potential.

I don't think there's been a greater depth of talent in the the cruiserweight division as right now. I hope this inaugural tournament, wakes the powers that be, up, and they realize, there's nothing better when your an avid boxing fan, than seeing the best fight the best, as evidenced by this great tournament.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't think there's been a greater depth of talent in the the cruiserweight division as right now. I hope this inaugural tournament, wakes the powers that be, up, and they realize, there's nothing better when your an avid boxing fan, than seeing the best fight the best, as evidenced by this great tournament.

I think you're right, the mid 80s wasn't bad either because it had genuinely great fighters like Evander Holyfield and Dwight Muhammad Qawi and good fighters like Carlos De Leon.

Cruiserweights' problem is that it has always been a halfway house between to far more glamours divisions, having guys too heavy for light heavyweight and too small for heavyweight. It's also one of the sports youngest divisions and could not have been started much longer than 1980, so lacks any sort of heritage. 

Right now it's one of the best divisions in the sport for both talent and excitement. It's a shame that none of the bigger networks, both in the UK and US, have bothered to pick this tournament up. HBO of course are interested in Usyk, but he didn't perform well in his fight with Michael Hunter when they did televise him so who knows if they will show him again.

I'd imagine that both Usyk and Gassiev will pursue heavyweight runs after the final, regardless of the result.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I think you're right, the mid 80s wasn't bad either because it had genuinely great fighters like Evander Holyfield and Dwight Muhammad Qawi and good fighters like Carlos De Leon.

Cruiserweights' problem is that it has always been a halfway house between to far more glamours divisions, having guys too heavy for light heavyweight and too small for heavyweight. It's also one of the sports youngest divisions and could not have been started much longer than 1980, so lacks any sort of heritage. 

Right now it's one of the best divisions in the sport for both talent and excitement. It's a shame that none of the bigger networks, both in the UK and US, have bothered to pick this tournament up. HBO of course are interested in Usyk, but he didn't perform well in his fight with Michael Hunter when they did televise him so who knows if they will show him again.

I'd imagine that both Usyk and Gassiev will pursue heavyweight runs after the final, regardless of the result.

Dwight Muhammad Quai v Holyfield, one of the best fights ever. That was when I realised Holyfield was something special. Quai was some warrior too. Didn't he beat Syed, in a thriller,  to win the title ? 

Â