The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Kessler would be a great fight for froch if he could get it, froch obviously feels like the pair have unfinished business and I think froch would put Kessler away quite easily now (I always fancied Kessler for the win out of the pair of them) I just think that Kessler wouldnt be the same animal now, after his absence through injuries and what not, he finished well in his last fight but the Kessler of old would not have got put down like he did in the first or second round.

All in all it would be a great fight for froch and would only further build froch's confidence which is sky high at the minute anyway.

Ward on the other hand would is genuine quality and I still can't see ward being able to do much against him

Kessler would be a great fight for froch if he could get it, froch obviously feels like the pair have unfinished business and I think froch would put Kessler away quite easily now (I always fancied Kessler for the win out of the pair of them) I just think that Kessler wouldnt be the same animal now, after his absence through injuries and what not, he finished well in his last fight but the Kessler of old would not have got put down like he did in the first or second round.

All in all it would be a great fight for froch and would only further build froch's confidence which is sky high at the minute anyway.

Ward on the other hand would is genuine quality and I still can't see ward being able to do much against him

Yeah I think Kessler is past it. Still tough and dangerous but I feel Froch would beat him now, I actually felt you could make a case for Froch winning their fight but it was close, but since Kessler has declined since then and Froch has improved there will only be one winner it that one.

Froch will though, never in a million years beat Ward not just because of how great Ward is but also because Ward's style is kryptonite to Froch. Froch struggles with slicksters he wouldn't be able to hit Ward cleanly and he'd get tagged all night on the way in, the left hook is Ward's punch and he hurt Froch quite badly with it.

I didn't know that it was broken, I do remember Ward catching Froch with a great left hook as Froch was coming in and it clearly stunned Froch. Ward hits harder than his record suggests and he's starting to find that killer instinct rather than just being risk averse.

Funnily enough it seems like Ward's next opponent is going to be Kelly Pavlik, Pavlik is completely shot and would have done **** all against Ward when he was in his prime.

Yeah, he said after the final bell that he had broken his hand in training before the fight. An MRI scan on the hand the next day proved he was telling the truth too.

He was awesome, apparently he has been rendered brain dead and his mother has to decide whether or not to turn off the life support machine...

https://www.youtube....h?v=jKRl-QwE7oE

Also, does anyone think that Hatton may get stopped this weekend? I think there's a chance...

Doubt it, if he's only 50% of what he was before he should win with ease.

I hope Hatton wins, and we get a Khan Hatton fight, Khan at 70% of what he was would batter Khan, either way it'd be entertaining.

I was thinking about it earlier.

Hatton couldn't really take the punch at Welterweight, in the two fights he had at that weight Mayweather stopped him and Luis Collazo, not a very big puncher at the weight, almost stopped Hatton in the 12th round and frankly gave a prime Hatton hell in that fight.

Senchenko isn't that good but he is a fully fledged welter and has some decent power. I was a bit harsh on him earlier on in this thread, Mallignaggli only stopped him on an injury. I think he could cause Hatton problems if he can settle and ride what will be a big wave for the first 2-3 rounds.

Hatton looked in great shape at the weigh-in. I expect him to explode out of the blocks but I still maintain that if Senchenko can stay in there for the first 4-5 round it could well be his fight.

Senchenko has the height, likes to work behind the jab and can throw a good right hand, Senchenko IMO has the advantage of power over Hatton. He looks like a very structured fighter so Hatton needs to throw off his rhythm, make him uncomfortable and punish his body.

The thing is Hatton relied so much on his foot and hand speed, at 34 and three years out destroying himself I seriously doubt he has the speed he once had, so once the adrenaline wears off that should become apparent. Also, there's the issue of punch resistance, something which often goes from fighters in their advanced years and Hatton, to be frank, didn't have the best punch resistance at welter anyway.

Robert Guerrero vs Andre Berto is a really, really interesting fight on the HBO card. I like Guerrero, he's very high volume, works a nice jab and throws nice combos. Berto after his PED's disgrace is looking to bounce back.

Frankly this is too hard a fight to call. IMO it'll either be Guerrero on points or Berto by KO. Berto is so explosive at welterweight and throws very powerful uppercuts. If he catches Guerrero, a career lightweight who got rocked by Aydin in his last fight I think it's over. If Guerrero gets that jab going and restricts the damage he should take it UD. Berto doesn't have the best punch resistance IMO but I don't think Guerrero has the power at welter. One concern is that Guerrero ran out of gas by the mid rounds in his last fight with Aydin, but that's perhaps due to the 15 month lays off he had due to his rotator cuff injury.

I'm looking forward to this one, just can't call it.

I think this has been raised before, but has there ever been a more popular boxer than Ricky Hatton? I think you could make a case for De La Hoya, and maybe Frank Bruno & Nigel Benn but while they might have had similar numbers to Hatton, could any of them say they had a hardcore support as big as Ricky did? Taking twenty thousand fans to Vegas on multiple occasions is an astonishing achievement.

If you go by numbers (PPV) then it's Mayweather lol, followed by De La Hoya. Pacquiao is pretty popular too. As far as British boxers go though Hatton is top of the pile.

Can't really say Hatton is the most popular ever though as outside of Britain no one will remember him in years to come. For me the most popular of all time is Ali.

I used to watch Hatton all the time, and stayed up to all hours while on the Magners when he was at his height. I can't think any other (british) boxer that would have that effect on casual sports fans such as myself. He did have crossover appeal, simply because he was always value for money, and a very personable individual, even for a Citeh fan.

Oh, how sad it was to see him thoroughly outclassed in his last few fights.

Very impressive Quigg with that body work.

If he's going to be Rigondeux's mandatory he's going to get demolished unfortunately for him but still, very nice work tonight. Munroe should probably retire on this, won the first round but got beaten up in the others.

Â