The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Price to fight skelton on December 8th

Not surprised really, it's not like he had a fight last night is it.

Frank Maloney looks after both of them doesn't he so I think this will be prices last one before he moves on to better things

lol so that'll be another early stoppage for Price and another fight he'll learn nothing from.

Anyway last nights action was decent. All I can say is Rios-Alvarado, wow, what a fight, an absolute brawl, I loved every minute of it, definite fight of the year contender. It went as I half expected, Alvarado was showing that he's better boxer out of the two, he worked the jab well and landed some big shots, he was winning the fight IMO before the stoppage. Rios though is a beast, he doesn't really box, has no jab but just loads up on everything. He showed that he can take a punch at the weight for sure, Alvarado is a big 140lber and Rios absorbed everything. He walked Alvarado down and stopped him brilliantly.

I think Rios will be a really interesting prospect at 140, I'd love to see him in there with Khan.

Donaire-Nishioka, disappointing, Nishioka turned up with the intention of just going the distance, he also looked his age, it's a shame because he's been a great super bantam. First 5 rounds boring and Nishioka didn't want to throw, he opened up in the 6th and got dropped by a beautiful upper cut. 7 and 8 were decent rounds, 9 Nishioka was going for it and got dropped by a huge counter right, shortly after his corner stopped it. Donaire was really impressive, looks very sharp, very smart and has real power at the weight. Great boxer.

do you think they are purposely sheltering Price to an extent and biding their time until the kiltchov's have packed it in?

he hasn't ever been in with any real names has he even though he looks like he is more than ready for the step up in class

do you think they are purposely sheltering Price to an extent and biding their time until the kiltchov's have packed it in?

he hasn't ever been in with any real names has he even though he looks like he is more than ready for the step up in class

It's difficult to say. The fact is that although he's 29, he has only had 14 pro fights, so not many miles on the clock there. I don't think he's ready for a Klitschko or even Povetkin. But he sure as hell ain't gonna learn anything by fighting the Harrison's and Skelton's of this world. They are wheeling out poor quality fighters for him to smash up in a similar way to that of Deontay Wilder in the states (currently 25 wins with 25 KO's, all against bums).

Maloney needs to recognise the low quality of h/w boxing. Domestically it's awful, European level hardly of any sort of calibre, even world level is pathetic right now.

I think Price needs to get one or two names on his record. For instance he should fight someone like Ruslan Chagaev. A former world champ who is still ranked in the top 10 but is pretty poor, very small (under 6ft) and would get squashed by Price early. This sort of fight would raise his profile. Then he could look to go state side and fight Chris Arreola, a relatively well-known H/W (at least in the states) that he'd again beat with ease.

Obviously this is easier said than done but those are the fights he needs to be chasing at this stage (I'd include the likes of Adamek on that list as well). By the time Price steps up to world level Vitali will have retired but Wlad will still be around and so will Povetkin. Povetkin I don't really rate, he did after all go life and death with Huck, but is still at the 'elite' end of the division.

Tyson Fury is an absolute fool

a few tweets he has made just lately

about David Price

Ill take your sole and give it the devil

I'm gonna smash your face in u s***house scouse p***k I look in your eyes and c fear!

he also said that David Haye was ''chinless'' and Derek Chisora is a ''mug''

and my fave has to be this one

It's hard to be humble when your as great as I am! Ali said this 1960s Tyson fury saying it now!!!

he ended with this one

Without Tyson fury in British boxing it would b a dull place u all need me!!!!!!!! Boxing is not for gents it's for bad ass m*********s

To be honest I'm not sure that Price does have a great chin, he did get stopped a couple of times in the amateurs. But then Fury did get dropped by some Canadian stiff recently (Pajkic or whatever his name is). Add to that Fury's complete lack of boxing skill and you have an all round shit boxer on your hands. He's an absolute clown.

Tyson Fury is an absolute fool

a few tweets he has made just lately

about David Price

Ill take your sole and give it the devil

To be fair Satan is one heck of a cobbler . He is supposedly branching out to key cutting as well .

yeah apparently he got loads of stick for his spelling.

did I hear correctly that Kell Brook has said he will retire if he gets beat on saturday, I hate this kind of talk to be honest, he is fighting Hector Saldivia who isn't any mug but I cant help but feel that he has been put against Brook to give him a bit of a confidence booster following his last fight which was pretty damn tough for him

does this fight make him a mandatory challenger if he wins this?

I think I'll be watching the Morales v Garcia fight instead, I cant help but think that Morales should pack it in now. He is a completely different animal to what he was when he was younger, I know he is only 12 months older than mayweather but Morales has been in far too many wars for it not to have taken its toll on him.

He said he was unfit for the last fight and had trouble's in the build up if I remember rightly so maybe I am writing him off too soon but I dont think so

Saldivia isn't a mug, he's a big puncher, but has been stopped twice before and hasn't fought any one particularly good. There's a couple of fights of him on youtube, he does look easy to hit, he doesn't have good defence but can throw a mean uppercut, I'd say he has a punchers chance but the expectation is that Brook will get him out of there. This isn't a confidence booster as such, the IBF rate Hector Saldivia and this fight is a play off for a crack at the IBF belt (currently held by Randall Bailey but will probably be held by Devon Alexander by the time Brook gets a shot at it).

Morales gave Garcia hell in the first fight and arguably it was the knockdown that won it for Garcia (in my book anyway). He looked out of shape for that, he failed to make weight and thus was forced to vacate the title.

Morales has something left in the tank but is basically shot compared to what he used to be. The best thing about that fight is the undercard it has Quillin vs N'Jikam, Bailey vs Alexander and Malignaggi vs Cano. Pretty high calibre fights for an undercard, two title fights and a fight between two top middleweights there.

Morales didn't even try to drop the weight in the Garcia fight he just vacated the title and fought over the agreed weight, he said that last time he tried to drop so much weight in such a short space of time he got knocked out.

Yeah it was the knock down that done it for Garcia in the last fight but the old morales would have destroyed him, I hope he does have a bit more left in the tank but I'm not sure

Interesting, the road warrior retired a couple of months ago, so they must have offered him quite a lot. He's one of my favourite boxers, humble and gives it his all, for all his lack of skill, he has one of the best chins of all time. I'll never forget him KO'ing Roy Jones.

Groves is ok, has good power and likes a tear up, Johnson has had much, much better days, pretty much shot, Groves should win comfortably on points. I don't see Groves ever really amounting to a great deal at super-middle though.

Morales reportedly fails a drug test but the fight is apparently still going ahead??? LOL

I reckon it'll be a close fight, Garcia is a very limited fighter, he does have good power, he's heavy handed, good counter-puncher but really can only throw hooks, he doesn't have great variety. Morales even though well past his best is still the more skillful fighter. A bit of a joke that it's still going ahead though.

he hasn't failed it

WBC president Jose Sulaiman insists the reports are untrue

in a statement he said 'these rumours are false.

The representative of the world boxing council in new york Joe Dwyer and the new york boxing commission do not know of any positive evidence of doping and if there had been a test for the WBC its invalid

the WBC rules stipulate that a drug test should only be performed in the locker room before or after the fight. That's all I accept

If the fight takes place it will be with the absolute recognition of the WBC, with the requirement of drug testing the day of the fight. only the boxing commission and WBC have the authority to reveal a positive test.

Only just got home missed the fight but I have seen the highlights, looked a good punch that put him down especially considering it was a jab, I said before that Hector wasn't any mug but it would be a good confidence builder for brook after his last fight

Brook had hurt him quite a few times in rounds 1 & 2 so Hector had definitely been softened up, but that final jab really knocked the stuffing out of him. You knew as soon as it connected that the fight was over.

Brook hurt him bad in round one, then stopped him on a jab lol. Salidiva looked a bum out there, he's not though, but he's also not world level. Being IBF #3 means jack shit, the WBA had Rahman #1 contender for Povetkin's strap, that's how bad these ratings are. Ring magazine's rating are as about as legit as they get and Brook hasn't fought any top 10er on their welterweight list over the last couple of years.

Nice to see Sky doing the typical british-hype job act saying how great Brook is and how he's world class. But understand he's never fought a legitimate top 10 welterweight, so for me Brook is nothing more than a contender.

Interesting viewing for Brook tonight is Bailey vs Alexander for the IBF strap, I fully expect to see Alexander winning a wide points decision, Bailey is an enormous puncher but sucks at everything else.

Brook will struggle with Alexander. Alexander isn't great but he's slick with pretty good boxing skills and is very tough. Bradley exposed him but he's been in the ring with much, much, higher calibre opponents than Brook. Brook is now 29 and 0 but has fought nobodies, it's an incredibly padded record. I think Brook is basically the next Junior Witter, he'll quite possibly get a world title but will never be a serious player in the division IMO. Luckily for Brook the WW division is in decline as far as talent is concerned, it's not what it was 4 years ago.

wow I think that will be the last we see of Morales fighting anyway.

horrible punch that he got tagged with, I still don't think that Garcia is all that great but one thing you have to say for him is that he has got an awesome left hook on him

Â