The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not sure if AJ is trying to play it cool, but he has the facial expression of someone who doesn’t really want to be there.

Was just saying this to a pal, his face in the corner was like "do I need to be here?.

Not impressed with Joshua at all. Far too tentative and fearful of getting hit. Hopefully he can rebuild but I don't see why he'd want to get in with Fury unless he's after one last pay off, which I'm not sure he is.

Surprised to see a few empty seats around considering Hearn said there was only 170 left yesterday. 

• Like 2

I think he should stay in the US for a year or two. Probably have a couple of fights out the UK against another couple of B level fights. He's not ready for Fury, Usyk or even Joyce imo. 

Also, it was a bit disrespectful to say he should've knocked Franklin out considering Franklin has never been stopped. Needs to check himself.  

This fight had no appeal to me whatsoever and by the look af some  comments on here, it seems that lack of enthusiasm was well founded.. I lost all respect for Joshua after that first loss to Usyk and the way he tried to put the blame for that defeat at the door of his trainer. A bad workman and all that. He didn't do himself any favours after the second loss to Usyk and showed a side to his nature that was a bit uncomfortable to witness. No doubt they will try and make a fight with Fury because that's where the money is but I won't be spending any

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

This fight had no appeal to me whatsoever and by the look af some  comments on here, it seems that lack of enthusiasm was well founded.. I lost all respect for Joshua after that first loss to Usyk and the way he tried to put the blame for that defeat at the door of his trainer. A bad workman and all that. He didn't do himself any favours after the second loss to Usyk and showed a side to his nature that was a bit uncomfortable to witness. No doubt they will try and make a fight with Fury because that's where the money is but I won't be spending any

I agree. Rob had put a lot of effort into him and took him to world titles. What you do from there on is on you as a fighter, not the trainer. If you need to adapt or go with a new trainer to change or improve then fair enough. However, the fighter, fights the fight. Saying that there are some shit trainers out there. Rob McCracken isn't one of them though.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I agree. Rob had put a lot of effort into him and took him to world titles. What you do from there on is on you as a fighter, not the trainer. If you need to adapt or go with a new trainer to change or improve then fair enough. However, the fighter, fights the fight. Saying that there are some shit trainers out there. Rob McCracken isn't one of them though.  

Absolutely. Some of the boxers Rob has brought through to fight at the Olympics and win medals for GB, that is some achievement. I remember Carl Froch saying that the only time things went wrong for him was when he didn't listen to Robert. 

• Like 2

Khan vibes off Joshua. Khan started with Oliver Harrison. Then went with Roach after the Prescott KO. Every defeat bought a new trainer and with it a purported new style. Virgil Hunter, Joe Goosen, BoMac. They were all going to be “ the one “ Joshua will go on a similar trajectory. Without been offensive he’s like Khan in the sense, he’s too dim to take new stuff on board and will always revert to type. 

Joyce next, beating this guy in 12 on points proved nothing.

Im a fan, an AJ looked like a destroyer tonight, although he didn't look like or perform like he wanted to be there anymore. His trainer, to be fair, was telling him to finish it, but I don't think Joshua was listening yet again.

Edited by foreveryoung

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Joyce next, beating this guy in 12 on points proved nothing.

Im a fan, an AJ looked like a destroyer tonight, although he didn't look like or perform like he wanted to be there anymore. His trainer, to be fair, was telling him to finish it, but I don't think Joshua was listening yet again.

Would be unlikely. I’m not sure Warren and Hearn have ever co promoted a fight. They don’t get on great. Whyte was a matchroom fighter when he fought Fury on BT but Warren won that purse bid and was the sole promoter. Joyce way too risky for Joshua. Has no belt, dangerous - guys that have been in with him don’t tend to come right in fights after it. 

• Like 1

Terrible ref in the AJ fight,  let Joshua hit after the bell on more than one occasion, its what caused the ruckus at the end. AJ was holding and hitting time and time again as well, ref just shrugged his shoulders. 

AJ needs a shrink far more than he needs a trainer. The guy has everything but something is seriously missing in his mindset. The parallels with Bruno are startling. 

Edited by tinker

Joshua really should pack it in - he's just being lined up to be someone's feeder before he's taken away - we'll see someone put beating Joshua on their record and count it as an achievement as part of build their own career.

Does how bad he is now reflect badly on Usyk?

Much of Usyk's reputation is based on beating Joshua twice and in retrospect, that's probably not that much of an achievement.

Â