The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

6 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Much respect to the promotors for selling 94000 tickets and whatever PPV they got for that nothing card, how many social media wanna be types went just for their sm posts/likes, I wonder how many real fight fans went to that one. Games gone. 

Boxing has always been about being seen ringside, even in the days before social media. Nowadays its just exacerbated. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

Boxing has always been about being seen ringside, even in the days before social media. Nowadays its just exacerbated. 

There have always been celebrities at ring side, it never used to get mentioned, it was all about the fight, you can see Gene Hackman about 5 rows back at the Hagler/Leonard fight, never mentioned, these days the director is actively seeking them out as part of the entertainment, I guess to get non fight fans who would see the celebs obligatory SM photo opportunity, interested. Football will eventually head this way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

There have always been celebrities at ring side, it never used to get mentioned, it was all about the fight, you can see Gene Hackman about 5 rows back at the Hagler/Leonard fight, never mentioned, these days the director is actively seeking them out as part of the entertainment, I guess to get non fight fans who would see the celebs obligatory SM photo opportunity, interested. Football will eventually head this way.

I had seats three rows in front of Arnie for the Rahman Lewis rematch 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

See, two celebs at that one and I didn't even know. 

Complements of our vacation manager at the Mirage. Almost took a girl from the Horse to it but decided against it because it was on TV

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Just saw a clip of Fury jnr (Tommy) calling out Jake Paul for a fight after his win against another bum last night.

So much wrong with that. A professional fighter begging a youtuber for a fight for the payday. Then the fact he already had a fight in place with him (where he looked terrible in the preparations) but pulled out due to a dubious illness.

Give it up mate and stop embarrassing yourself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

He might fight Francis Ngannou asap before he starts putting weight on, just for the money. Would have liked to see him fight Joshua before his stock started falling, he's just a busted flush now and wouldn't cope with Fury at all. If Fury wants to really thank the fans he'd stay in shape and fight Usyk.

God that would be an even easier fight then last nights.  Fury knocks him out within 3 rounds.

Fury said he is going into wwe. Think that seems to be where we will see him. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

God that would be an even easier fight then last nights.  Fury knocks him out within 3 rounds.

Fury said he is going into wwe. Think that seems to be where we will see him. 

He would be fun in the wwe to be honest. He beats Ngannou boxing with ease, in a cage and he gets smashed to bits 

It will be a disgrace if Fury doesn’t fight the winner of Joshua and Usyk. That’s been 10 Years in the making. Fury would beat AJ obviously and then he can retire but we’ve still got to see it. Besides it’s more likely that Usyk is the challenger.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It will be a disgrace if Fury doesn’t fight the winner of Joshua and Usyk. That’s been 10 Years in the making. Fury would beat AJ obviously and then he can retire but we’ve still got to see it. Besides it’s more likely that Usyk is the challenger.

Fury - Joshua just isn’t appealing anymore, whatever way you dress it up. You can’t get past the fact the Joshua has been beaten twice. Takes the gloss off the fight. And Usyk isn’t Ruiz. He won’t fold in the rematch. If anything i think he beats Joshua even more convincingly 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Fury - Joshua just isn’t appealing anymore, whatever way you dress it up. You can’t get past the fact the Joshua has been beaten twice. Takes the gloss off the fight. And Usyk isn’t Ruiz. He won’t fold in the rematch. If anything i think he beats Joshua even more convincingly 

I’d still like to see it, or at least whoever wins between Joshua and Usyk, which I agree is probably the latter.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whye talking about the push.  He was hurt but he does have a point

The alternative was getting another smash in the gob with Fury's fist.  If anything Fury showed him a bit of mercy by shoving him rather than chinning him.  Not sure it was even a shove, a gust of wind would probably have blown him over.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The alternative was getting another smash in the gob with Fury's fist.  If anything Fury showed him a bit of mercy by shoving him rather than chinning him.  Not sure it was even a shove, a gust of wind would probably have blown him over.

It was a  light shove but eniugh to send him down. Have to admit ive never see  that in a boxing match before.

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

It was a  light shove but eniugh to send him down. Have to admit ive never see  that in a boxing match before.

I think he was pushing him back to hit him again, but he fell under the weight of the push. 

• Like 1

Â