The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Fury is a much better than this bum. He  wont just let him charge at him like this with such a woeful defence and movement 

No but he may do something stupid like try to sway this way and that against the ropes with his hands down and be sparked out. 

11 minutes ago, West said:

No but he may do something stupid like try to sway this way and that against the ropes with his hands down and be sparked out. 

Does that sound like Tyson fury? Sorry but fury is not a clumsy boxer like that. I dont expect him to win but he is a very intelligent boxer. He will school wilder around the ring. He jist needs to have  a game plan. He should stick close to wilder bully him and shove him around for abit then start wearing him out. Wilder doesn't have a solid build. I think body starts might be  a Good tactic to start with for fury.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If fury starts using his size and power to his advantage and bullies wilder about then he gives himself a opportunity  as @Dr_Pangloss says wilder is veey lightweight.  He won't be able to shove fury around. The swinging right hook is all he has. 

This is patently wrong in every possible way, he has a great straight right hand and can through a pretty decent uppercut too.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is patently wrong in every possible way, he has a great straight right hand and can through a pretty decent uppercut too.

I disagree he relies heavily on that right hand and that's what haswon him most fights. Ortiz and Molina have both hurt wilder and not been able to finish him off.

This is wilders biggest test. You might not rate fury but this is a difficult fight for wilder.  It's a interesting one but I expect wilder will win simply because fury has been out of the ring for too long an drought two bums only.

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I disagree he relies heavily on that right hand and that's what haswon him most fights. Ortiz and Molina have both hurt wilder and not been able to finish him off.

This is wilders biggest test. You might not rate fury but this is a difficult fight for wilder.  It's a interesting one but I expect wilder will win simply because fury has been out of the ring for too long an drought two bums only.

OK but you're wrong, he has a range of knockouts and knockdowns with the right hand that are more than the 'swinging hook' that you said was the only punch he could throw.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

OK but you're wrong, he has a range of knockouts and knockdowns with the right hand that are more than the 'swinging hook' that you said was the only punch he could throw.

Disagree. 

I think your going to be suprised at how limited wilder is as a boxer when he fights fury. He has one trick and that's it. A very shit boxer. If you take away his power everything else in his locker is dreadful. 

He cabt box, has a shit defence and average footwork.

If fury can counter and deal with that right hand by using boxing intelligence there will be onky one winner as fury is 10x a more intelligent boxer than wilder.

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Disagree. 

I think your going to be suprised at how limited wilder is as a boxer when he fights fury. He has one trick and that's it. A very shit boxer. If you take away his power everything else in his locker is dreadful. 

If fury can counter and deal with that right hand by using boxing intelligence there will be onky one winner as fury is 10x a more intelligent boxer than wilder.

I don't know if you know what the different punches are in boxing? LOL. I agree he's a shit boxer, but to say he only has a swinging right hook is wrong on every possible level. 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Disagree. 

Mike Tyson wasn't exactly a great boxer but if you hit people and they fall over then power makes up for an awful lot of technical shortcomings.

Disagree with  that on Mike Tyson.  I do think he is overrated when it comes to the "best ever" discussions, he dominated in a weak era, but the guy could box.  His punches were accurate, his timing and ability to counter were impeccable and he was almost as good boxing southpaw as he was orthodox. The fact he had savage power was definitely a factor in his greatness but he wasn't just a puncher.  It's been debated to death but I do wonder how good Tyson could have been if Cus D'Amato had lived for another five years. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Disagree with  that on Mike Tyson.  I do think he is overrated when it comes to the "best ever" discussions, he dominated in a weak era, but the guy could box.  His punches were accurate, his timing and ability to counter were impeccable and he was almost as good boxing southpaw as he was orthodox. The fact he had savage power was definitely a factor in his greatness but he wasn't just a puncher.  It's been debated to death but I do wonder how good Tyson could have been if Cus D'Amato had lived for another five years. 

He had GREAT footwork, never off balance, wonderful upper body movement and knew how to set his offence up. Excellent boxer technically.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This fight hasbt sold very well apparently. Why they didn't do this fight in the UK is beyond me. They woukd have made much more money 

It is not all that surprising - Wilder is virtually unknown in America (just check Fury's latest video going around the streets asking if people knew who Deontay was. Most responded 'who?!')

Additionally Frank Warren is a dinosaur when it comes to promoting events.

1 hour ago, West said:

It is not all that surprising - Wilder is virtually unknown in America (just check Fury's latest video going around the streets asking if people knew who Deontay was. Most responded 'who?!')

Additionally Frank Warren is a dinosaur when it comes to promoting events.

I doubt he knows what the internet is. I see he told Wilder and Fury to 'brawl' at the press conferences, that's about as far as his promotional skills go these days. He was the man in his day and certainly wasn't someone to be messed with, but is a total spent force these days.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I doubt he knows what the internet is. I see he told Wilder and Fury to 'brawl' at the press conferences, that's about as far as his promotional skills go these days. He was the man in his day and certainly wasn't someone to be messed with, but is a total spent force these days.

That "brawl" was embarassing. Hearn might a annoying credit but he knows how to promote. I'd put Warren on the don king dinosaur scale.

It will do very poor numbers PPV wise due to the timing and general promotion of the event. I don't think the fight will be all that great either. The fight needs a Wilder knock out. Fury jabbing his way to victory for 12 rounds won't make great viewing. 

Â