PL: Liverpool h Match Thread 2009/12/29 19:45

limpid

A reaction is needed simple.

Milner gave the ball away they scored.

Rooney gave the ball away Hull scored they then went on and created two more goals and turned the game around.

He had more time to do it than Milner my point being if we want to carry on improving our whole team needs a similar reaction.

Liverpool may not be playing the best but they still have Gerrard and Torres.

I'm still feeling confident about this one for some reason. I don't worry about playing them like I did in the past.

I do think we should go 4-5-1 though and perhaps have NRC man-mark Gerrard. My other worry is without Young on the left Johnson could be more of a threat going forward, plus Young would have tested him defensively. Although, despite this, I still think we have enough to beat them. UTV!

Massive, massive, massive game tonight.

No matter what team liverpool put out and what form they are in you are certainly guaranteed a tough game.

It will be a test of our squad with two games in two days and Ashely Young suspended! I think that it will be a straight swap Sidwell for Young with Millner and Downing on the flanks, although I would love to see Reo Cocker start - he was class at anfiled this season.

Dont think we have beaten them at home since 1998 so there no better time to beat them that now!

Heres to a Heskey Hat trick!

Rooney gave the ball away Hull scored they then went on and created two more goals and turned the game around.

He had more time to do it than Milner my point being if we want to carry on improving our whole team needs a similar reaction.

You can hardly Link Milners pass to Ronney's.

From Milners pass, Arsenal still had to travel 80 yards of the pitch, while Ronney gifted it to them in the penalty area.

Milners pass led to Arsenal going 2-0 up, Rooneys led to 1-1

Man Utd were playing Hull, We were playing Arsenal.

Think we need to be quite aware that this game is very losable, and while I think we need to win if we want to break in to the top 4 (psychologically wise (not points as it will still be very possible)), it will not be a complete diasaster if we don't. I quite would have happily taken 2 draws before Arsenal/Liverpool as we would have kept in touch while remaining unbeaten - so 3 points over the 2 games would be great imo

Happy there is no Young for this, he's looked an awful player for alot of this season, even when he's had a 'good game' his overall performance has been dire. Looks afraid to run with the ball and even more afraid to take it past a player.

Happy there is no Young for this, he's looked an awful player for alot of this season, even when he's had a 'good game' his overall performance has been dire. Looks afraid to run with the ball and even more afraid to take it past a player.

Still involved with most goals

Er you are aware we aren't even close to Man Utd's level aren't you?

Oh and we don't have a Rooney and you might want to think about the fact we were playing Arsenal they were playing Hull.

As for a reaction is needed???? We lost a game, we lost a game away at one of the Sky 4. We are still in good form and having a good season, sure a win today would be significant but I'd hardly say "a reaction is needed simple" its not like we just lost 5-0 to Hull.

The game is much bigger for Liverpool than for us. (The pressure will be on them not so much us). Don't get me wrong I damn well want us to win as it's pretty important given yesterday's results. I would happily take a point at this present time - any result I still think we are in with a chance of 4th place. No Young might actually benefit us more and is Torres fit? Will Gerrard dive? We are a much better defensive unit this season - this game will be close and I hope we edge it.

Right, i'm taking the plunge with my first post, wish me luck...

There's been some interesting ideas with team selection on here, but we all know hand on heart that it will be Sidwell in for the suspended Young.

Carew may come in but personally i say stick with Heskey, he has been playing fine and Carew is a more dangerous sub.

Personally id like to see Reo-Coker come in and "do a job" on Gerrard, and assuming our back line deals with the slightly unfit Torres thats their only real threats gone.

Milner and Downing need to play on their orthodox sides, get at the fullbacks whip in a few balls and at worse get some set pieces. And i think a couple of corners / free kicks is where we'll win it again.

2-1 to the Villa, back up to 4th. :D

Would love to see Albrighton start in place of Young, but of course he won't. Yes it would be a risk and require a large set of cojones but I think it could pay off.

Back to the real world, i think the main thing today is that if Milner plays in the middle, he actually plays in the middle and doesn't go wandering as he did in the Arsenal game. He has been the key to our recent form but watching that game i couldn't help but notice that every time he got the ball he seemed to be out on the wing, so essentially we were playing with three wingers and Petrov was left isolated in the middle for that game.

451 my lord, 451!

Gab on his own, back uo what won us 10 games or whatever in a row last year.

Be interesting to see the team, I think 442 will certainly not be enough though.

If he does go 442, we need Carew in "unstoppable" mode and not "can't be arsed" mode.

Freidel

Young Cuellar Dunne Warnock

Milner NRC Petrov Delph Downing

Gabby

Would love to give Gabby a rest and play Carew but in this formation it would be criminal

Milner and Downing switching as they do at the moment

Petrov and Delph playing the box to box roles with NRC holding in the midfeld for the breaks of Gerarrd

Would love to give some of the back 4 a rest but we have cup games coming up so maybe a chance to rotate the squad in these areas is the way forward

Predictions

Beat Liverpool

Beat Blackburn (FA)

Lose Blackburn (LC)

Beat West Ham

Beat Blackburn (LC)

In he FA cup game we need to completely rest our players like Milner, Gabby, Dunne, Cuellar, Petrov and give games to Carew, Delf, Delph, NRC, Sidwell, Albrighton? Collins, Clark, Brad because at the end of the day Blackburn aren't going to come to VP for a 3rd leg Fa tie with a full strength team due to the game mid week that can take them in to the final

can't see us not winning this to be honest.

We are hurt, and should bounce back. Liverpool are bloody aweful even if they did beat Wolves, and Torres will probably not play, and even if he does, he is not the player he was.

Only sticking point to me is it usually takes something special to beat Reina, and it is whether we produce that something special.

Personally, I'd put NRC in to combat Gerrard and put Milner out wide for Young.

No other changes.

However, I expect Sidwell, coz I think MON would rather play with Jonothan King and Gary Glitter than NRC !