Emile Heskey - MON's worst signing?

avfc89

Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?

• Yes
    • No

I don't like being negative, but I can't understand why Emile Heskey has been starting recently. After months of being awful and ineffective, he still is getting chosen ahead of other strikers without earning his place back in the side. I find this enigmatic decision by MON, infuriating.

When he signed, I imagined he would add something to the squad, an aerial threat, the ability to keep the ball and create space for other attacking players. All the tangibles that have kept him in the England side recently. But he has failed to add anything to the team.

I know people will bring up names like Knight, Harewood and Sidwell to counter me. MON never tried as hard to get these players back into the side, unless he has been forced by events which were unforeseen. Why not give young Delfouneso a chance, What is the worst that can happen?

So, is Emile MON's worst signing todate? Why?

no Salifou is pure dog shite..

How much did Salifou cost? and how much did Heskey cost?

Also see Agathe, Sutton, Routledge to an extent too. These were just cheap stop gaps.

When Heskey came we were one striker away from a real shot at champions league football.

Theres been other players at big prices who arent doing it either but theyre all relatively young with room for improvement. We bought Heskey in his 30s.

no Salifou is pure dog shite..

How much did Salifou cost? and how much did Heskey cost?

Also see Agathe, Sutton, Routledge to an extent too. These were just cheap stop gaps.

It's not about money, Heskey is the only one who was bought here to go in the first team straight away and do a job. It's utterly failed and it keeps costing us because he's still here. I couldn't give a toss if Salifou stays for 10 years to play in our reserves because he's costs next to nothing and doesn't affect the club in any noticeable way but please MON give up on the Heskey cause already and ship him out in January.

I think calling Zat out is a bit unfair. Mixed results on the pitch, though he did get a worse press than he deserved. A couple of really important goals and from a business point of view we got back at least what we paid for him (possibly even sold him at a profit?)

Not a spectacular signing, but certainly not a poor one on any level.

He has to be up there.

He just isn't suited to a club in our position.

For england when he is surrounded by world class he can do what he does and his lack of goals goes withouth punishment and at smaller teams he seems to do ok without scoring goals because he is better than most other players in the team.

At villa we have better and he clearly isn't of the standard required to help us progress.

Best to admit it didn't work and move on, it will be better for us and for heskey.

don't think so tbh. at leats he plays (albeit rarely). but as people have said, people like routledge, salifou etc were worse.

i wouldnt put cuellar in there though. genuinely think he has the potential to be really good, but never plays in his preferred position

When Heskey came we were one striker away from a real shot at champions league football

I disagree. When Heskey came goal scoring wasn't a major problem, keeping them out at our end was. The number of games where we should not have conceded 2nd half of the season I cannot begin to remember.

To blame Heskey as the reason for that iws scapegoating a player who has never been renowned for his goal scoring. By all means slate him for not holding the ball up etc etc (which to be fair he hasn't done a bad job at - no worse than Carew) but to blame Heskey for our failures is a little harsh.

Can't even be arsed to read responses so far so sorry for any repeats..... but you stated you thought it was a good signing initially....he hasn't done that much wrong so to compare him with let's say: Routledge, Balde, Salifou, Sutton (to an extent) is complete bollocks...sorry i should be in bed by now!

When Heskey came we were one striker away from a real shot at champions league football

I disagree. When Heskey came goal scoring wasn't a major problem, keeping them out at our end was. The number of games where we should not have conceded 2nd half of the season I cannot begin to remember.

To blame Heskey as the reason for that iws scapegoating a player who has never been renowned for his goal scoring. By all means slate him for not holding the ball up etc etc (which to be fair he hasn't done a bad job at - no worse than Carew) but to blame Heskey for our failures is a little harsh.

I'm not blaming Heskey, I'm blaming MON for buying Heskey when he had the whole world to choose from..

Defence was alright, we had the numbers but not the quality. The Laursen injury turned out a lot worse than we thought at the time.

Carew had been missing for a while and our third choice was Harewood who MON didn't want anywhere near the team. We were playing with one striker with no proper backup. In truth a defender or two wouldn't have gone a miss but the manager decided only a striker was required and he bought one that has a worse scoring record than our defender who was out injured.

Â