Emile Heskey - MON's worst signing?

avfc89

Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?

• Yes
    • No

3m in the football league we are in is nothing. Look at what teams and tell me what players have been bought for 3m that have been quality? To get someone of the standard some people are wanting on here, 3m will just get you their weaker foot.

Given the money we obviously have, the option of bringing in a 5M player instead of a free transfer is always open. So comparing a such signings is possible.

Bringing in Salifou has been worthless. Never plays, doesn't speak English. Which means he doesn't contribute in the changing room, I mean how could he?

He just sits there collecting his money, playing some Reserve games and watches the first team games from the best seats in the house.

World-class signings?

None - thus we are not making an effort to stop Arsenal and Liverpool. Money talkes, no matter how you twist the truth.

Best signings?

Ashley Young, Stephen Warnock, Curtis Davies and Fabian Delph. For ability and obvious future potential ability of course...

Reliable signings?

John Carew, James Collins, Richard Dunne, James Milner (althought I struggle to see his worth attacking-wise), Luke Young, Stiliyan Petrov and Brad Friedel

Disappointing signings?

Emile Heskey, Carlos Cuellar, Nicky Shorey, Steve Sidwell, Nigel Reo-Coker

Remains to be seen?

Stewart Downing, Brad Guzan, Habib Beye - although I think all three will be a success somewhat in their role

Failures?

Moustapha Salifou - incredibly pointless signing. Not young, no promise, no talent, no ability, doesn't speak English, doesn't develop... why not throw him out?

Wayne Routledge - at the time, I think it was possible to snatch Aaron Lennon from Spurs given he was desperately off form and didn't play much. We got Routledge.

Best signings, Curtis Davies? 50pence head? If he's one of his best signings then that really does say it all.

Totally unsurprising opinon, as you seem to think that everything about our club is either "shit", "rubbish" or "useless".

Best signings, Curtis Davies? 50pence head? If he's one of his best signings then that really does say it all.

Totally unsurprising opinon, as you seem to think that everything about our club is either "shit", "rubbish" or "useless".

Including you.

Brilliant.

Given the money we obviously have, the option of bringing in a 5M player instead of a free transfer is always open. So comparing a such signings is possible.

And why can't you buy that 5m player in addition to signing the free transfer? The free transfer does not in any way prevent you from signing someone else unless its such a high profile player that you need to pen in a first team spot for him. Which none of our cheapies have been. Comparing such signings is possible, but it is devoid of any logic whatsoever.

That is why Heskey is the worst signing, he was signed for the first team instead of being some cheap punt you stick in the reserves to see if he comes good some day.

Yes. He actually does more harm than good for us, being a key factor in derailing our CL chase last season, and being one of the key factors in our stale, boring play this season.

Players like Routledge, Agathe, Sutton were terrible too but at least they didn't play and cost us games.

Routledge is a far worse signing than Heskey. Heskey just doesn't work in our system, he needs goal scoring midfielders.

Depends what you mean by worse. I'd argue that Heskey is O'Neill's worst signing easily. The likes of Salifou and Routledge didn't work out, but they didn't ever play. Heskey in my opinion, has had such a negative effect on our style of play and results, that he has to be considered the worst purchase.

• 9 months later...

no matter how well he plays for england or us people would still hate him, he's a pantomine villian, he's not great but nowhere near as bad as people make him out to be, his performance against vienna was 10 times as good as carews vs newcastle, yet when heskey's name got announced after his goal our "fans" booed him, its a **** joke at times

Yes - I lost confidence in MON when he signed Heskey. I lost even more confidence when he was selected each week - despite his non scoring record.

Cuellar pushes him close - mainly due to the riddiclous fee - almost £9m was it - on a player who is perhaps worth 2 or 3m ?

Â