Emile Heskey - MON's worst signing?

avfc89

Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?

• Yes
    • No

Ps how nearly 50% say he is the worst MO'N signing is just such shit, surely even Heskey haters have half a brain to realise he's nowhere near this title..... or maybe not

Ok there have been worse players signed but given the timing of it and given how we changed our formation to accomodate him and barely won again he has to be up there. We were top four and O'Neill had the whole world to choose from yet he signed Heskey as the answer to us sustaining a top four push, what a joke of a decision.

Ps how nearly 50% say he is the worst MO'N signing is just such shit, surely even Heskey haters have half a brain to realise he's nowhere near this title..... or maybe not

Ok there have been worse players signed but given the timing of it and given how we changed our formation to accomodate him and barely won again he has to be up there. We were top four and O'Neill had the whole world to choose from yet he signed Heskey as the answer to us sustaining a top four push, what a joke of a decision.

That makes some sense, what I would say though is who/what was actually out there...do any of us know, I think not?

That makes some sense, what I would say though is who/what was actually out there...do any of us know, I think not?

It's not our job to know though to be fair, it's MON's and our scouts and the worrying thing is none of them seem to have a bloody clue when it comes to finding players and even more worrying is they all thought Heskey was the answer.

It's not our job to know though to be fair, it's MON's and our scouts and the worrying thing is none of them seem to have a bloody clue when it comes to finding players and even more worrying is they all thought Heskey was the answer.

Fair enough, not much more I can say to that, i'm a fan of Heskey but will openly admit he's not done an awful lot for us (i really thought he'd offer a lot more) but there are so many tools on here that just love to slate him for no other reason than him being Emile Heskey....for whatever reason that is I don't know?

I don't think we had the whole world to choose one, once you cut out players that aren't good enough to help us break into the top 4, players who aren't interested in joining villa and players that weren't for sale you probably aren't looking at a huge list.

From what we hear from the two players we tried to sign zaki and downing for around £25 million in january but their clubs weren't prepared to sell them, i think it's a safe to assume that there were probably others who were either not interested or unavailable at the time.

Heskey wasn't the greatest signing in the world but he was a physical prescence that we lacked while carew was injured. I also remember a lot of comments before that january about how poor we were playing using 4-5-1 and how we were getting very lucky and we needed to bring in a striker.

It hasn't worked out and it will go down as a poor signing from MON but i don't believe that last january we could have signed the quality that would have pushed us into 4th and instead chose heskey.

I don't think we had the whole world to choose one, once you cut out players that aren't good enough to help us break into the top 4, players who aren't interested in joining villa and players that weren't for sale you probably aren't looking at a huge list.

From what we hear from the two players we tried to sign zaki and downing for around £25 million in january but their clubs weren't prepared to sell them, i think it's a safe to assume that there were probably others who were either not interested or unavailable at the time.

Heskey wasn't the greatest signing in the world but he was a physical prescence that we lacked while carew was injured. I also remember a lot of comments before that january about how poor we were playing using 4-5-1 and how we were getting very lucky and we needed to bring in a striker.

It hasn't worked out and it will go down as a poor signing from MON but i don't believe that last january we could have signed the quality that would have pushed us into 4th and instead chose heskey.

That, to me, says everything that needs to be said about the Heskey signing.

He's been a bad signing in that it sadly hasn't worked out. Sometimes it just doesn't. I think most people can/could see why we bought him originally, and I seem to remember more than a few saying they were happyy with it. BOF I can certainly remember having a comment when asked what striker we felt we should buy saying 'I went for Owen, but was surprised how long I was considering Heskey for'.

He's been a bad buy, yes, and probably MONs worst purely from the amount he's played, the amount spent, and the little he's offered.

I'm not blaming Heskey, I'm blaming MON for buying Heskey when he had the whole world to choose from..

Defence was alright, we had the numbers but not the quality. The Laursen injury turned out a lot worse than we thought at the time.

Carew had been missing for a while and our third choice was Harewood who MON didn't want anywhere near the team. We were playing with one striker with no proper backup. In truth a defender or two wouldn't have gone a miss but the manager decided only a striker was required and he bought one that has a worse scoring record than our defender who was out injured.

How do you know he had the whole world to choose from? At the time we needed some sort of cover for Carew, Gabby was doing well playing up front on his own, but he is young and it's pretty obvious he couldn't do that for every game of the campaign. Like it or not, Heskey is an England international, and the current England manager also plays him, despite his poor goalscoring record.

I am not saying MON is not at fault for the results, as the manager the buck stops with him, but to single out a striker whose goal scoring record has never been great and to call that MON's worst signing is a little off the mark.

Routledge hardly played for us, and Salifou I don't think has played more than 10 mins of PL football. Harewood, while scoring a few goals, has also been pretty ineffective for what we paid.

Heskey isn't a prolfic goalscorer and he certainly isn't a winger.

How do you know he had the whole world to choose from? Like it or not, Heskey is an England international, and the current England manager also plays him, despite his poor goalscoring record.

I've already explained all the parts ive deleted from your quote in previous posts in this thread.

As for the world to choose from, are you seriously saying that Emile Heskey was the ONLY striker available around the entire planet for a move in January? Or do you think MON just pounced on a player that he has worked with previously due to relative success in the past?

As for England, If you did a poll for the worst player in the England team I GUARANTEE that he would top that poll too (and by some distance - probably over 90%). I personally don't see how he gets picked for the squad let alone the team, but apparently he plays brilliantly for them (I must be watching different games).

Well, a year ago the winner of this title would undoubtedly have been Petrov, so it just shows there is hope for Heskey to settle into the side and show what he can do for anyone who has a bit more patience than a hyperactive gnat.

And what do you think the chances of that are Briny..... how many people on here will re-track and admit wrong! Not that it'll necessarily happen of course!

He works well with Rooney for England (we score more goals with that partnership than any other), and I'm sure O'Neill was hoping that side of his game would show with Gabby as well, unfortunately it hasn't. He's a good player at what he does, which is often much more off the ball than on, but the way we play and so on hasn't let that side show, and when it has we've not had the style to make use of it.

I suppose you could make parallels with the donkey working DM, a lot of people used to wonder what the none eye catching CM doing loads of simple stuff was doing on the pitch, then it dawned on them that he was doing a lot of work that allowed others to shine.

Worst signing in over 30 years. At least with the likes of babalan - the manager had the balls not to select him. Cascarino - yes he flopped - but at the time he looked good purchase. Emile Heskey coming to villa, and not scoring was as predictable as night following day. FFS the manager is even playing the useless roller skating donkey on the wing now.....

Heskey played on the wing more than once for Leicester and Liverpool. He can play there.

I still can't believe people just think striker = goalscorer. He's never scored many, no, but he's often helped other strikers score more, particularly at Liverpool with Owen. Thats why people buy him, to anchor attacks and play off him.

Â