Emile Heskey - MON's worst signing?

avfc89

Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Is Heskey MON's worst signing todate?

• Yes
    • No

Not the worst signing but the most damaging. From my point of view I knew the game was up for MON the very day he signed him, god knows what the question was but Heskey apparently was the answer. At the time we could have sent out a message that we meant business in the race for 4th, all we had to do was buy a striker of some quality I think we would have made it. So MON goes out and buys the last player any of us would have bought, looking back MON either did it to get back at the fans for some reason and punish us/RL for something or he really had no clue about modern football what so ever and was in over his way over his head, one of the 2.

What sort of message did MON think that sent out, ex small heath player that can't score that we actually paid money every week, absolute piss take imo. No way back for him after that. We needed a 15-20 goal a season dynamic young player that could fill and eventually take over from Carew and propel us into the CL. We got a 2 bit comedy donkey who managed to steal the show in the Shrek films. Whilst I admire his comedy timing and general interaction with both the Ginger bread man and the wolf from little red riding hood, that does not really get the Villa the progress or attacking cover that was desired by the fan base.

paulanddonya

A good post mate and not contaversial at all..How much did that simple switch cost us as a club? If only we could go back in time and try the "without Heskey method".

We'd most probably bomb just like we did with him in the side. People are too stupid to realize that it wasn't all down to Heskey.

Couple of things on my mind whether the Heskey signing meant we didnt get 4th.

a) we went unbeaten in the next 3 or 4 games after he came IIRC so it didnt immediately effect performance.

B) I was never ever confident that we would get 4th anyway. Even at 6 points clear, the way we were playing and grinding out results with poor performances like Hull away - it just wasnt sustainable with our squad. Something was always going to give. 6 points is a lot if your Chelsea at the top because they often put winning runs together of 7 or 8 games which we just cant do. It was always 1 bad result away from being 3 points.

That bad result came.

Stoke at home. Doesnt matter if we had Emile Heskey or Lionel Messi upfront we were never going to recover it was that much of a setback. add that to the fact that the games after were ridiculously tough, and it was always going to happen.

In addition - Martin Laursen (who I admire for effort/influence) but by eck he was a liability with injuries got crocked and we just never recovered.

I understand what people are saying with the statement of a big signing, but jermaine defoe wouldnt have stopped Stoke scoring 2 injury time either. Thats where it all went wrong.

Â