General Chat

Stevo985

Just had a thought. You get the instances of a (for example) Chinese couple emigrating here and their children sound English. But you never see a White, British couple going over to China and their children speaking Chinese as a first language. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard a non-Chinese person speak fluent Chinese. Would be extremely weird.

I'll bet it does happen. But Anglophone expats often tend to put their kids in English schools if available, which is silly and a missed opportunity, IMO.

Agreed. Personally my biggest gripe with that pattern is that it intensifies ethnic/xenophobic divides. If the guy next door to you speaks with an accent similar to yours (and the more you interact with other cultures, the more likely you are to pick up their accents) you are more likely to find common ground with him and to feel comfortable opening up to him. Not a good idea if you want a happy, cohesive society.

I am absolutely convinced that accents are the single biggest factor in ethnic integration (or lack of it). If he talks like "one of us" he's massively more likely to be accepted than somebody who "talks funny". 

Had a lovely long lunch in the beer garden at the Blue Piano in Edgbaston. Followed later by tipple at the Green House in Four Oaks on the way home from work and now waiting for a Dominos pizza. Today is a good day  :)

I am absolutely convinced that accents are the single biggest factor in ethnic integration (or lack of it). If he talks like "one of us" he's massively more likely to be accepted than somebody who "talks funny".

Kind of, but I think it's more to do with how easy it is to understand what someone is saying than accent - for me at least. It's whether people can communicate easily, perhaps. Sometimes it can be via body language and facial expression, but mostly, obviously via spoken word - if you can't understand what someone is saying (or they, you) then you can't assess them as "one of us".

Kind of, but I think it's more to do with how easy it is to understand what someone is saying than accent - for me at least. It's whether people can communicate easily, perhaps. Sometimes it can be via body language and facial expression, but mostly, obviously via spoken word - if you can't understand what someone is saying (or they, you) then you can't assess them as "one of us".

I don't understand  :)

From personal experience, this is absolutely not true, not here anyway. We understand western expats and Chinese migrant workers perfectly. Doesn't stop a lot of us (me excluded) from disliking them.

Just got back in the country, Bulgaria is like blackpool but shitter.

What's been popping round here then? Bof & stevo still going strong? Is doug still bothering dogs and has baselayers finally got her chebs out in the rougues galley?

Hayden panettiere on graham norton last night.

Yes Please!!

Reminds me of a bird I had a thing with when I was in the US last summer*. Ended annoyingly.

*Obviously she wasn't as ridiculously hot as Hayden, but she was still hot and had the breathy, low American voice of her

Damn British guys coming over here and stealing our wimmin.

EDIT: Appparently Brummie is consistently ranked sexiest British accent by American women...

Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

I have a posh Brummy accent. But I did subconsciously put on a posher accent by the end of my time there.

But yeah this bird. Annoying story. Had a little thing with her (was staying at hers for like 3 days with a mutual friend) then I went to work for 2 months. Got back and she'd become a Manhattan hot shot at Vanity Fair and I haven't really hard from her since.

She was so agrhhhhhhh, can't describe

EDIT: Appparently Brummie is consistently ranked sexiest British accent by American women...

:huh: Seriously?

:huh: Seriously?

I used to browse a forum that was mostly US women who expatriated to the UK. There was a thread on accents and that was the consensus on Brummie. (So "consistently" means 100% with a sample of one survey). Brummie was consistently in the thread described as "musical".

Â