General Chat

Stevo985

Talking of which, I personally know just one person who has come out of the closet as a homosexual. A pity how Singaporean (and Asian society in general) society is still so anachronistic with regards to the acceptance of sexuality (although this is much less true among youths).

I am honestly quite stunned by how openly British society accepts alternative sexuality.

High adherence to religion tends to go hand-in-hand with homophobia. And vice versa.

Any religious fundie will tell you that Britain is a godless society, hence our high level of indifference to peoples' sexual choices. They think this is a bad thing, I think it's a good thing.

Talking of which, I personally know just one person who has come out of the closet as a homosexual. A pity how Singaporean (and Asian society in general) society is still so anachronistic with regards to the acceptance of sexuality (although this is much less true among youths).

I am honestly quite stunned by how openly British society accepts alternative sexuality.

High adherence to religion tends to go hand-in-hand with homophobia. And vice versa.

Any religious fundie will tell you that Britain is a godless society, hence our high level of indifference to peoples' sexual choices. They think this is a bad thing, I think it's a good thing.

We are not a particularly religious society - yet*. I think our relatively high level of homophobia is related (i.e. not implying causation) to the fact that old cultural practices still hold root here, particularly among the Chinese-speaking community. Ancestor worship is still widespread, although I have to emphasise that based on my experience most people who practice it don't really believe that they are literally interacting with their ancestors when they do so, but rather carry out such activities out of respect for their forefathers as well as the elderly (many of whom DO believe in the crap). I'd say that the majority of the population - Muslim population aside - are religious agnostics - that is to say that they do not particularly believe in gods as it is the default position (not surprising given that Taoist/Buddhist believers are rarely as strident and insistent about the truth of their beliefs as adherents of the Abrahamic religions), but they do engage regularly in superstitious nonsense like fortune telling and praying for luck.

* Christianity is growing very rapidly.

Most people these days realise that the way somebody is sexually inclined is not their choice.

I agree with the religion thing too. The main defence of homosexuality is that if it is two consenting adults and not hurting anyone else the what's the problem?

The problem is that some people believe it is against gods will, and we all know the power invisible beardy has over many peoples fragile minds.

We are not a particularly religious society - yet*. I think our relatively high level of homophobia is related (i.e. not implying causation) to the fact that old cultural practices still hold root here, particularly among the Chinese-speaking community. Ancestor worship is still widespread, although I have to emphasise that based on my experience most people who practice it don't really believe that they are literally interacting with their ancestors when they do so, but rather carry out such activities out of respect for their forefathers as well as the elderly (many of whom DO believe in the crap). I'd say that the majority of the population - Muslim population aside - are religious agnostics - that is to say that they do not particularly believe in gods as it is the default position (not surprising given that Taoist/Buddhist believers are rarely as strident and insistent about the truth of their beliefs as adherents of the Abrahamic religions), but they do engage regularly in superstitious nonsense like fortune telling and praying for luck.

* Christianity is growing very rapidly.

Yeah, what is wrong with East Asia. It's the same in Korea. In a typically non religious society, save for a bit of Buddhism, Christianity is growing horrendously fast. It's like they are working in reverse to the rest of the civilised world.

Religion is rising despite more evidence on the contrary becoming available. Baffling.

I'd say it's more a European thing than a British thing. If anything, Britain could be seen as quite conservative if compared to places like the Netherlands, France, Sweden etc w.r.t. sexuality. Hell, my Canadian buddy said North America (USA & Canada) just basically regards 'Europe' as a place where we're all at it with everyone :D Liberated I suppose is the best way to put it.

Yeah, what is wrong with East Asia. It's the same in Korea. In a typically non religious society, save for a bit of Buddhism, Christianity is growing horrendously fast. It's like they are working in reverse to the rest of the civilised world.

Religion is rising despite more evidence on the contrary becoming available. Baffling.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. The reason for the increasing prevalence of Christianity is the same reason why McDonald's is proliferating in Korea, why How I Met Your Mother is watched in Singapore, and why (broken) English is ubiquitous in major Chinese cities. "Westernisation" - i.e. the exposure of non-Western societies to European/American ideas and culture - brings with it not only new institutions, customs and changes in pop culture, but also new religions, just like how exposure to Roman culture back in antiquity contributed to not only the coalescence of tribes into nations (or so I've read) but also the spread of Roman Christianity into "barbarian" lands.

I think this trend will be reversed in a few decades, once Christianity ceases to be seen as "cool"* and novel.

* Have to give credit where it's due, the Protestants of today certainly know how to market themselves.

Whatever you may think about Christianity, I think most people in the UK would agree that it hasn't been remotely "cool" here since... well, ever, really.

That's probably the badge of honour for young British Christians - accepting their uncool matrydom with pride. I respect them for that, TBH.

Buddhism, on the other hand, has always had an air of hipness here.

Im Indespensable anyway. 5 person section will be down to just 2. With no manager.

I am online marketing exec but now IT person who deals with our It support company and also took over the project management of the new website once they got rid of the consultant.

No way am I taking on any more work without a pay rise. He cannot make me redundant and if we have a disagreement and he fires me I have all the info to win any case.

I just think I should be able to say "if you want me to take on any kind of managerial responsibility then you'll have to pay me a salary for a manager"

You should have your job description defined clearly in your contract. If not, it may be worth asking HR for written clarification.

If they ask you to perform any duties outside of your role you can refuse.

Your bargaining power depends on how long you've been with the company. For example, if your on probation they can simply get rid of you without giving a reason.

I'd get your role clearly defined first and if your new duties fall outside of this, then I would ask your boss to create a new role for yourself with a wage rise for increased responsibilities.

I've been in a similar situation and, after taking advice from some kind people on this forum, negotiated a redundancy on the grounds that my role was redundant and started a new job at a better company and better pay.

well I'm not sure the correlation between religion and sexual ethics is quite so cut and dry.

Granted the stance of much of the established church such as the rock cakes is broadly, crudely, anti gay. But then there are a few things about catholicism that are odd.

On the other hand, I do know two gay vicars (one male, one female) and a few gay church stewards. The attitude of those around them is 'whatever'.

How many press ups can you do?

Someone told me the average man can do 7.

I gave myself a target of 30 and managed 51 before I crashed out.

Give it a go, post your number.

(6 months ago I think I might have managed about 15 but I've been doing some training).

I do know two gay vicars (one male, one female) and a few gay church stewards. The attitude of those around them is 'whatever'.
And yet the church "rule" on this reaches Monty Python levels of absurdity:

Richard Coles (born 26 March 1962) is a musician, journalist and Church of England priest. He is known for having been the multi-instrumentalist who partnered Jimmy Somerville in the 1980s band The Communards, which achieved three Top Ten hits, including the Number 1 record and best-selling single of 1986, a Hi-NRG version of "Don't Leave Me This Way". He also appears frequently on radio and television as well as in newspapers. In March 2011 he became the regular host of BBC Radio 4's Saturday Live programme.

Coles is openly gay and lives with his partner in a celibate relationship, in respect for the current rules within the Church of England. Commenting on the current Church of England policy on same-sex relationships for clergy, Coles told The Daily Telegraph, ‘‘It’s not as I would have it, but then it’s not about me.’’

Wiki

I'm no expert, so I'd like not to get into a famous VT God debate.

But could it be that there isn't 'the church' as many people quite understandably lump it. There is a church for everyone, and you abide by as many of that church's rules as suits you. Also, some churches love their rules and some just sort of have them for those that love rules.

I know one church that has services that start on time, regardless of whether you are sat down or not. They also have regular minuted committee meetings and have the money from the collection plates audited. I also know my most local Methodist Church (methodists remember not approving of drinking or gambling) recently raffled a bottle of whisky.

we got a fairly big deal over the line for our company recently, and our partners' press release about it made it onto one of the wall street journal's websites

pretty chuffed with that

How many press ups can you do?

Someone told me the average man can do 7.

I gave myself a target of 30 and managed 51 before I crashed out.

Give it a go, post your number.

(6 months ago I think I might have managed about 15 but I've been doing some training).

Seven?!!!! :shock:

A 5-year-old could do 7.

Whatever you may think about Christianity, I think most people in the UK would agree that it hasn't been remotely "cool" here since... well, ever, really.

It's been entrenched in European society for a millennium and a half, not surprising Europeans are getting sick and tired of it :lol:

Over here in Asia on the other hand, it really is seen as very "cool" and (supposedly) shows that you are modernised. I'd say, from personal experience and observation, that most converts to Christianity here in Singapore treat their religion (consciously or subconsciously I'm not sure) as some sort of pop culture phenomenon, just like **** Justin Bieber, Chinese pop stars etc etc. - this is certainly I think what someone would deduce from the fact that the hip, rock-star style megachurches are the fastest growing churches in the country. Disgusts me, tbh.

Also, FWIW, I don't have any stats to back this up but I have no doubt at all in my mind that Christianity is heavily correlated with proficiency in English in Singapore. That's not to say that people who primarily speak in their mother tongues (i.e. languages that correspond to their ethnicity) don't convert to Christianity in significant numbers, but both the growth rate as well as the absolute size of this group pales in comparison to those of the English-speaking populace. Again, the spread of Christianity is just Westernisation at work.

Moment of snobbishness :lol: - I actually feel more "Westernised" - so to speak - than the Christians, now that I've ditched religion and gravitated towards the humanist/irreligion movement. Take that bitches.

Buddhism, on the other hand, has always had an air of hipness here.

Not sure about the specifics of Buddhism in the West, but I'm pretty sure it shares few similarities with the (frankly anachronistic) Buddhism that is prevalent in East Asia.

Never understood some chaps' love for lesbians, you have no chance with them, it's an exercise in futility.

They do make good drinking partners though. None of that 'should I? will she?' nonsense you get with straight girls, just solid drinking and a running commentary on the view, so to speak.

No, but I can watch!

386205574.jpg

Â